Ludo's Weekly Quiz!

Okay. Here is the final "hoor of a round". 20 questions in all. Some of these are trick questions. Some sound very hard but are actually quite easy. Some are just standard questions. Please note that any foul language will receive a one point penalty.

PM me your answers and I'll post the correct answers, scores etc some time a week on Monday.

1. What was the first man-made invention to break the sound barrier?

2. What happened in the UK between the 3rd and the 13th September 1752? (be very specific)
3. What is the first line of the song Bohemian Rhapsody?
4. Statistically, which square are you LEAST likely to land on on a Monopoly board?
5. What's the largest desert in the world?
6. What links a Russian city, a fishing port in the Hebrides and a river in South America?
7. What is the maximum possible break in snooker?
8. The first edition of the Daily Mirror came with a free what?
9. Which country, not renowned for its tolerance towards homosexuals, comes second only to Thailand, for the number of citizens who have had a sex change performed?
10. What do all the numbers on a roulette wheel add up to?
11. Which was the only team to be undefeated at the 1974 World Cup?
12. An Olympic event until 1920, which sport required the winning team to travel only 4 metres to win?
13. Only 5 countries (not including Wales) have 1 syllable in their name. 1/2 a point if you can only get 4....
14. Why were all Swedish citizens banned from driving on their own roads for five hours on Sunday 3rd September 1967?
15. Countdown conundrum... solve the anagram: DRYENOUGH
16. How many people were on Noah's Ark?
17. What did S stand for in Harry S. Truman's middle name?
18. What was the first UK quiz show to give away £1,000,000 to a contestant?
19. Which four letter word ending in K means to have intercourse?
20. February is the shortest month of the year. What is the longest month of the year?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well here are the answers. Happy to say that every question was answered by at least one person correctly … I’ll post the final scores in a wee while.

1. What was the first man-made invention to break the sound barrier?

(Lifted this straight from QI). A whip... the crack it makes is a mini sonic boom.

2. What happened in the UK between the 3rd and the 13th September 1752? (be very specific).

Nothing, they moved to the Gregorian calendar so 12 days were "lost" and never happened.

3. What is the first line of the song Bohemian Rhapsody?

Asked this cos everyone knows all the words but few people can sing the first line. Several of you got it wrong. It's "Is this the real life?"

4. Statistically, which square are you LEAST likely to land on on a Monopoly board?

Hoor of a question :) ... most likely dice throw with 2 dice is a 7. The one square you can't move from is Go to Jail. 7 spaces from Go to Jail is Park Lane (sorry!)… only Tynieness got it right, although I’m not sure if it was deduction or sheer guesswork!

5. What's the largest desert in the world?

Another QI one. Antarctica, because it never rains or snows there.

6. What links a Russian city, a fishing port in the Hebrides and a river in South America?

Tomsk, Tobermory, Orinoco. The Wombles.

7. What is the maximum possible break in snooker?

155, a free ball + black, then normal 147 clearance. Kudos to Bully Wee who actually calculated it for Snooker Plus for absolutely no bonus points.

8. The first edition of the Daily Mirror came with a free what?

A mirror.

9. Which country, not renowned for its tolerance towards homosexuals, comes second only to Thailand, for the number of citizens who have had a sex change performed?

Iran

10. What do all the numbers on a roulette wheel add up to?

666. Not sure how Bully Wee came up with 814!

11. Which was the only team to be undefeated at the 1974 World Cup?

Scotland of course. A clean sweep for everyone.

12. An Olympic event until 1920, which sport required the winning team to travel only 4 metres to win?

Tug of War.

13. Only 5 countries (not including Wales) have 1 syllable in their name. 1/2 a point if you can only get 4....

France, Greece, Spain, Chad and Laos. Eire has 2 syllables I'm afraid.

14. Why were all Swedish citizens banned from driving on their own roads for five hours on Sunday 3rd September 1967?

So they could move all the road-signs from left-hand drive to right hand. Although Albino Rover's answer re: the birth of Henrik Larsson was far better (and for his efforts, receives 0 bonus points).

15. Countdown conundrum... solve the anagram: DRYENOUGH

GREYHOUND

16. How many people were on Noah's Ark?

8. Noah + burd + 3 sons + burds

17. What did S stand for in Harry S. Truman's middle name?

Nothing.

18. What was the first UK quiz show to give away £1,000,000 to a contestant?

There's that badly-worded ambiguous question I promised. Since TGI Friday wasn't technically a quiz show, I'll give half points to anyone who said WWTBAM.

19. Which four letter word ending in K means to have intercourse?

Frankie and Albino Rover failed to read the rules at the start of my post, so they're both deducted a point and sent to stand in the naughty corner for saying "f**k". Bully Wee came up with the ingenious BONK, which I can't really fault so he gets the point. The answer was of course TALK.

20. February is the shortest month of the year. What is the longest month of the year?

Another hoor of a question. The longest month of the year is October, because it has 31 days and the clocks go back an hour, meaning it lasts for one hour more than the other 7 months with 31 days.

And here's the final scores. As you can see, Tynieness takes 1st place and all the kudos it brings, as well as a big greenie next time I see one of his posts.

I originally said that I would discount each person’s worst round which would have narrowed the gap, with Tynieness on 29.5 and Bully Wee Villa on 28.5, but there can be no doubt as to the winner.

Congrats to everyone taking part. If anyone wants to fire up a quiz feel free! (you don’t need to do multiple weeks… in fact, there are no rules so you can do what you like!)

post-4857-0-80618000-1409585618_thumb.pn

Better watch out for today's Guardian quiz then F_P, there's a question on Monopoly that's actually impossible to know 'off the top of your head'. :P:P

Are you going to publish your quiz in here Albino, or will I have to plunge into the murky depths of the TV and Film forum?

I've got no time for questions to which no one can know or work out the answer. The quiz may as well be asking "What Monopoly square am I thinking of?"

The new Film Quiz thread, sponsored by King Kebab, is now on the TV & Film Forum. Look out for Round 1 this weekend.

Oops. That Monopoly question went down like a cup of cold sick I see!

Still, just to make sure you're not caught out next time, you might want to read this first: http://www.tkcs-collins.com/truman/monopoly/monopoly.shtml ... it's for the US version, but learning all the American equivalents could be a lot of fun.

Looking forward to your quiz!

Being boring I had a wee straw poll at work today regarding some of the Cardinal's horrible questions. Three folk got the monopoly question right and like me they have the misfortune of having to play it every festive period. I always go for the blue, purple and orange sets.

Interestingly ( if you're boring) nobody got the wombles question right, or the Swedish one.

Ha. Cheers Tynieness. The next in Lynx's range should be called Vindication.

Quite a good article about the Swedish transition: http://www.wired.com/2014/02/throwback-thursday-sweden/

And this April Fool's Joke that was trotted out as early as the 80s in NI (and probably before): http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/01/scotland-driving-on-right-independence-road-scheme

Being boring I had a wee straw poll at work today regarding some of the Cardinal's horrible questions. Three folk got the monopoly question right and like me they have the misfortune of having to play it every festive period. I always go for the blue, purple and orange sets.

Interestingly ( if you're boring) nobody got the wombles question right, or the Swedish one.

Funny you should mention that one. I only got 7 right in the 20 questions one. One was the monopoly one and another was the Swedish one. I had no idea for the wombles one. I was too late to enter so just did it for fun(I wouldn't have wanted to embarrass myself even if I was early enough)

My logic for the monopoly one was that it would be the one furthest away from the start. You get cards with advance to go and advance to mayfair(I think to the income tax one as well) so went for parklane. A bit of a guess really.

Archived