Elgin City signings

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We aren't full time anymore. Maybe we offered him more money though we don't offer that good a wage either

Could be that he is playing in League One and is closer to home, less travelling. Is a bit shit that he agreed to sign for us then signed for Airdrie but he will have his reasons and good luck to him, a keeper who could play in a championship team.

So from what I can tell:

GK

MacLean Duff Cooper? Finlayson

Nicolson

Beveridge Cameron

Gunn Sutherland Moore

That's with Wyness, McKenzie and Urquhart as attacking options on the bench.

I don't think there's any doubt about Elgin's firepower, but that's one heck of a dodgy looking defence. Getting rid of Niven is a start (great for blood and thunder but he had no attention for his positioning), but Finlayson is barely good enough and is all right foot. Maybe Nicolson will drop in beside Duff permanently, but he's much better as a holding midfielder. Cieran MacLean probably sees himself more as a midfielder and Beveridge as a right-back, but if Nicolson had a couple of runners off him that'd be a pretty balanced midfield.

Moore was one of the best players in the division in 2012-13, signing him again is very good thing for Elgin. I don't suppose they'll get Gethins too, but it would be great to see him in League 2 after repeatedly scoring brilliant goals in the Highland League.

Brian Cameron was among the division's best players in the first quarter of last season, so if he's over his foot injury then he'll probably have the biggest say in how Elgin will do.

• 2 weeks later...

It was only two years ago that Fraser was an ever present in a team that went 40 unbeaten in league matches (34 First Division, 6 SPL). He's just as good a keeper as he was then ie. more than capable for the second tier, but limited in his catching of whipped crosses and slow to get down to his left hand side at long distance piledrivers, but those aspects won't be exposed anywhere near as much.

The rest of his game is pretty much spot on and if he keeps motivated he could well be the best keeper in the bottom two divisions in the next season.

• 4 weeks later...

Although I wasn't in a position to attend today, I do hope that the resultant receipts will go some way to helping Elgin in the new season.

I've always had a soft spot for Elgin.

• 2 weeks later...

Damian Wojcizk has been offered a contract. Don't know anything about him except he is a defender and played in the friendly v County.

He looked a bit slow and chunky, but he was up against Darren Maatsen for a bit and he's the quickest Ross County player I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I have recently been attempting my own short previews for the new season. I decided to try and do every single SPFL team and have just finished my last four from League Two. I know these brief previews do not go into the amazing detail from blogs like THHP but I have enjoyed writing them and if people could give them a look it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and please do leave any feedback or comments plus more importantly if you see any mistakes please let me know (in particular involving the players in and out parts, some information is very difficult to find!)

Elgin - Link

Archived