f**k you Marko Ayr are staying up

By the same token not many 17 or 18 year olds required to play regularly at that age in order to make it.

As for Shankland he's played over 20 games at Senior level, already, and been on trial at Birmingham. It's not Ayr's fault if he doesn't make it. That was a ridiculous suggestion.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

09 August 2014 - Match 1 : Greenock Morton (Home)

16 August 2014 - Match 2 : Stirling Albion (Away)

23 August 2014 - Match 3 : Forfar Athletic (Home)

30 August 2014 - Match 4 : Stenhousemuir (Away)

13 September 2014 - Match 5 : Stranraer (Home)

20 September 2014 - Match 6 : Brechin City (Away)

27 September 2014 - Match 7 : Airdrieonians (Home)

04 October 2014 - Match 8 : Peterhead (Away)

11 October 2014 - Match 9 : Dunfermline Athletic (Home)

18 October 2014 - Match 10 : Greenock Morton (Away)

25 October 2014 - Match 11 : Brechin City (Home)

08 November 2014 - Match 12 : Stranraer (Away)

15 November 2014 - Match 13 : Peterhead (Home)

22 November 2014 - Match 14 : Forfar Athletic (Away)

06 December 2014 - Match 15 : Dunfermline Athletic (Away)

13 December 2014 - Match 16 : Stenhousemuir (Home)

20 December 2014 - Match 17 : Stirling Albion (Home)

27 December 2014 - Match 18 : Airdrieonians (Away)

03 January 2015 - Match 19 : Stranraer (Home)

10 January 2015 - Match 20 : Brechin City (Away)

17 January 2015 - Match 21 : Greenock Morton (Home)

24 January 2015 - Match 22 : Stenhousemuir (Away)

31 January 2015 - Match 23 : Dunfermline Athletic (Home)

07 February 2015 - Match 24 : Airdrieonians (Home)

14 February 2015 - Match 25 : Stirling Albion (Away)

21 February 2015 - Match 26 : Peterhead (Away)

28 February 2015 - Match 27 : Forfar Athletic (Home)

07 March 2015 - Match 28 : Dunfermline Athltic (Away)

14 March 2015 - Match 29 : Stenhousemuir (Home)

21 March 2015 - Match 30 : Greenock Morton (Away)

28 March 2015 - Match 31 : Brechin City (Home)

04 April 2015 - Match 32 : Stranraer (Away)

11 April 2015 - Match 33 : Peterhead (Home)

18 April 2015 - Match 34 : Airdrieonians (Away)

25 April 2015 - Match 35 : Stirling Albion (Home)

02 May 2015 - Match 36 : Forfar Athletic (Away)

The obvious, and flippant, reply is that every player has been a 17 or 18 year old player. Of course they won't all make it but our club has no choice but to try to bring through some of our Academy players.

I will repeat what I said at the time, the U19 final was possibly the most entertaining game I saw at Somerset last season. There was some good football on show and, unlike the first team, both centre halves were challenging in the air and wining the ball. Young Nisbet was outstanding up front. Longridge was very good and I was surprised he was released. If we give some of them a chance, we might see a few male the breakthrough.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we should field the U19s team every week, but when there's an injury or suspension why not play a young player in their natural position rather than re-shuffle the team to make do with experienced players who're out of position and quite often not up to the shift? I've talked to Marko and he always talks about the reserves and U19s not being "real fitba" but there's only one way to get experience and that's to play.

I've been reading these exchanges with interest.

I think you need to remember that this was kids vs other kids and not the grizzled, experienced and fully physically developed pros that are rattling about the division. When a kid clearly has the talent then we should give them a fair shot in the first team, but I wouldn't be starting them in games and I definitely wouldn't be using more than one or two in the team at a time.

Forrest, for example, is obviously a very good prospect but in the games where he started he would often be completely anonymous. His best position right now is on the bench being used as an impact sub during the last third of the match, in my opinion. He doesn't have the physicality to impose himself on the opposition from the start of the game. From looking at the match posted earlier I'd say that applied to pretty much all of that team.

I think we need a core of about 15 experienced players backed up with a handful of promising youngsters from that U19 team but they should only be used sparingly and, preferably, not in games where we're struggling or expecting to struggle.

Give them match experience, yes, but not at any cost.

Been calling for this for years, we have a student ST, but no student gate. Well done to Graeme.

Student season ticket is a bit of a loose term. It was available to students of a certain age. I was a mature student up to this year and had to pay full whack for my season through my whole time at uni.

Good idea of a pay gate though.

Student season ticket is a bit of a loose term. It was available to students of a certain age. I was a mature student up to this year and had to pay full whack for my season through my whole time at uni.

Good idea of a pay gate though.

Hmm that doesn't sound right, as long as you provide evidence I.e student card, acceptance letter, then you should get one, no matter what age.

09 August 2014 - Match 1 : Greenock Morton (Home)

what an opening game!! will be good crowd too.... 2-1 Ayr :thumsup2

Usually a tough game for us. The signings are looking promising, and the expected signings as well. No idea how this will go. I don't recognise many Ayr players, but this thread is on a bit of a downer.

Archived