Early Predictions 14/15

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some pointless threads to fill in the time...but since most of the teams don't have most of their players signed, this exercise is just a tad speculative.

Here's an alternative - how many ranking permutations can you dream up for a league of 10 teams?

50 years ago, there was a blue.moon and pigs did fly.

1963/4 Stirling Albion finished bottom of Division 2, 1964/5 promoted as champions..The following year's close season tour saw us beat the Japan International team 4-2, Japan All Stars 3-1, and Teheran Select 1-0, although the tour did start off with a 2-0 defeat to AEK Athens

I would vote for that, particularly the tour to Japan.

I don't think we plan to stay without manager for the whole season.

:lol:

As for us. We seem to have a decent spine for next season anyway, well, for 3rd division level. Last year our problems were pretty simple, under Sheerin we have always been defensively fragile, but, we have usually had the firepower at the other end to out score sides.

Last years strikers just didn't cut it, I was hugely excited about Steven Milne signing aswell I thought he would have been a classic poacher for us, sadly he was terrible, Graham Bayne had also seemed to massively go downhill over the summer too. We then lost Ricky Little (who I have heard good things about, yet to see it though) for 7 months after 5 minutes of the 1st game and never really had enough guys on board to cover meaning we played a midfielder at the back for 7 month.

Even then up until a third of the way through the season we seemed to be doing not bad, a promotion play off push was on the cards, we signed Lee Erwin from Motherwell (who was absolutely sensational) but never managed to hold onto him for that long. He returned to Motherwell and then got injured so could not return, leaving us with Milne for ages who was absolutely terrible, we went on a very very long bad run, 13 games where we picked up 1 point or something, down to a midfielder playing at the back, 2 midgets (Chisholm, Smith) playing centre mid meaning we got battered in the midfield and a slow striker who just wasn't scoring uptop (Savo Milne) It was awful to watch.

Come January though things changed, Smith was released and replaced by a very impressive Kevin Nicoll (Thanks Rovers) who made our midfield look a million times better and stronger, Savo and Bayne were released and replaced by Paul McManus, Leighton McIntosh and Kenny Deuchar (Deuchar, McIntosh played a bit part role but McManus was absolutely superb) and Ricky Little returned, meaning we had 4 defenders playing defence for the 1st time all season. We then started to look much better, and went and picked up some very good points, but ultimately in the end that 13 game run was to hard to recover from, even if we were so close with losing late late goals the last couple of games, especially the Dunfermline one. If we had hung on there we would've been in the play offs (maybe still relegated who knows) it has been a TERRIBLE season, I've hated it, worst so far for Sheerin, his signings just never came off and he has been unlucky to.

However I and all Arbroath fans are massively behind the guy, he certainly knows how to get us playing fantastic football at times and as much as people slate him he is still a class act on the park now he has moved himself into centre mid. So next year as it stands we will line up with a spine of Ricky Little, Kevin Nicoll and Bobby Linn (all 3 signed) guaranteed which is very decent for this level in my opinion. Hopefully now this is all a bit speculative too, we start with a side similar to this;

Morrison (signed)

New Right back

Michael Travis (signed, YPOTY for us last season)

Ricky Little (signed)

Colin Hamilton (offer on table, not signed yet)

Bobby Linn (signed)

Paul Sheerin (signed)

Kevin Nicoll (signed)

Alan Cook (offer on table, nothing signed, wanted by EF and Livi supposedly)

Paul McManus (offer on table, heard he's negotiating with wages, don't know if he will sign, hopefully he does)

Another striker (Doris, McIntosh, Gemmell all been mentioned, maybe another that's not been mentioned yet)

Leaving us with a decent bench aswell. Not one to predict that my team will win the league, that can only backfire but I think we will be there or thereabouts, Sheerin tweeted saying he had had a positive meeting with the board so hopefully that will mean good things for AFC fans after that season we had to ensure last season. I'll take a pop at;

1. East Fife

2. Arbroath

3. Annan

4. Berwick

5. Clyde

6. Albion Rovers

7. Queens Park

8. Montrose

9. Elgin

10. East Stirlingshire

Buzzing for the new season.

• 2 weeks later...

1. East Fife - on the rebuild, target should be promotion a lot of talent players and happy with recent signings made.

2. Clyde - will they be the same side as last season still they need to appoint a manager and have a lot of talents.

3. Arbroath - should be up there fighting for promotion and have linn and mcmanus in their ranks.

4. Berwick Rangers - decent squad and re-signed lavery which is a key player.

5. Albion Rovers - got a feeling they will be a lot better this season after signing Gemmell.

6. Annan - squad decent do need a few adds but always a side that's unpredictable on how they do never thought they finish 2nd last season in this division.

7. East Stirlingshire - added mckenna and will be a team doing well.

8. Montrose - another team that needs strengthen, they haven't had much success so eighth place is best.

9. Elgin city - like montrose do need strengthen and lost some of the players to other clubs like gibson and mcmullan but I can only see nineth place is best.

10. Queens Park - they do need to sign players yet or its another low place finish.

Archived