Cowdenbeath 2014/15 Championship Thread

Thomson is bound to go full time as will Toshney. Both are good players and way out our price range.

Nat will be on too large a wage.

If I had to keep players I would keep Brett, Robertson, Brownlie and O'Brien providing the weren't braking the bank and Brett and Brownlie aside I wouldn't be crazy about them starting.

Chopper is the man and he can stay as long as he wants.

Would clubs really be fighting over our players though? I'm not so sure. East Fife will sniff around a couple as always.

There's good players out there. Petrie that was at Dumbarton has been released by Dundee United already, he could do a job in the league below. Players like Brownlie who have been released by full time clubs and are looking to make a name for themselves. Supplemented with a couple of old heads.

It's all speculation until we find out who wants the job. I just hope it's a young manager. Not one of Donald's friends from Rangers. I don't see that working.

Will be an interesting pre season.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the f**k is going on here?? Empty the whole squad etc. Let's be serious, we are going down to the seaside leagues and any fan not wanting players like Chopper,Nat, Brownlie,Deano, Toshney,Robbo, TOB, are mad. What are we actually going to replace them with.. Our manager relegated us, and our board let him. We will be in no position to bring in any decent players next season. Yes we can't afford to keep them all, but the replacements will be poorer standard and it would be a long time, if ever we get back to the success this last decade.

Stop talking sense mate, no place for that on this forum.

Saying that, chopper had a mare today. Positioning was poor and looked slow.

One of the worst aspects of our team is the complete lack of movement off the ball. When the balls in the air or passed to a player there is nobody reading what the next player might do and moving. Instead we wait until the player does something then react, on the heels.

We know guys like Robbo can do a good job in league 1. They've done it before. I would think any league 1 team would take him. The same with TOB, Chopper, Nat and Adamson. We'll struggle to hold onto those players.

I'm glad Cowdenbeath are down. Dreadful stadium, and bitter fans.

Comes with having a history. Stick around with Livy for another 60/70 years and you might get one. More probable you will change name and move to yet another town.

Thomson is bound to go full time as will Toshney. Both are good players and way out our price range.

Nat will be on too large a wage.

If I had to keep players I would keep Brett, Robertson, Brownlie and O'Brien providing the weren't braking the bank and Brett and Brownlie aside I wouldn't be crazy about them starting.

Chopper is the man and he can stay as long as he wants.

Would clubs really be fighting over our players though? I'm not so sure. East Fife will sniff around a couple as always.

There's good players out there. Petrie that was at Dumbarton has been released by Dundee United already, he could do a job in the league below. Players like Brownlie who have been released by full time clubs and are looking to make a name for themselves. Supplemented with a couple of old heads.

It's all speculation until we find out who wants the job. I just hope it's a young manager. Not one of Donald's friends from Rangers. I don't see that working.

Will be an interesting pre season.

I understand your logic but your fav player chopper is probably on the biggest wage. Also is part of the defence which has been shambolic

Gutted to be relegated today but at the end of the day it was deserved. The livi game at central a few weeks ago was the game tht relegated us.. For me a total gut job is needed next season how adamson was not playing left back today whn match fit is beyond me.. For me a new young manager has to come in and get his ideas across an hopefully bring in a few good signing. Would take dougie hill at cowden for next season in a minute not wanted at raith an the type of player we need in this division.. Obv big nat, Marshall, kudus, HIGGINS terrible for us this season an toshney will be away so our new manager will have to be smart an get a few loan signings. Would take Gallagher back in a second obv not getting a game at rangers an young Buchanan back from hearts think thy would tear league 1 up.. Just hoping the board take time an get the correct manager in for me Alec cleland or a Derek Adams in for cowden dark horse Barry Robson player manager. But can see nish player manager getting it which would be a disaster waiting to happen FTP!!!

That was miserable today. I've had a 36-hour door-to-door round trip from Orkney to watch this - and then to see a player in a Cowden strip give the finger to fans who have paid good money, then kick the ball out of the pitch, then applaud the opposition's fans as he went off the field. Scandalous.

Full credit to Alloa - they were first to every ball and played us off the park. The score could have been worse.

We do have some good players in our team - several of them formed the core of the side that put Dunfermline to the sword at the end of last season. Since the close season, the manager has chopped, changed, tinkered and played players out of position to disastrous effect. Then he has blamed the players in the press. Jimmy has had good support from the chairman and the board, and he has had a decent budget for players - but that budget has been largely squandered on mediocre players who weren't better than the players he had, but were paid more money. With that size of squad, we shouldn't have been in the doldrums.

We have had some great success in recent seasons, and we've been spoiled. It's been a good time to be a Cowden fan, but now we face a different reality - as we have done in the past.

We simply can't afford some of the players we have. The one we'll miss most is Chopper, who loves this club and has been a loyal and commanding presence for some years.

Here's a proposal to start a discussion: (1) Offer Chopper the job of player-manager. (2) Appoint Toorie as his assistant. (3) Appoint Deano as captain. (4) concentrate on young players - including the likes of Craig Johnston, Lewis Milne, Kyle Miller and one or two of the development squad - they should thrive and develop in a less competitive environment. (5) Sign one or two young players released by big clubs in the summer. (6) Sign one or two experienced journeymen who are released, and also from the juniors. With Chopper, Toorie and Deano, we'll have no more gutless performances - and also play to a consistent system that the players can actually understand (as Mixu did with players who weren't world beaters but were passionate about the game) - and we might get some smiles back on the faces of players and fans.

There is, of course, the big elephant in the room - the future of the club itself. We can't control that. But we can get some passion and direction back in the field of play, combined with a sense of appreciation on the terracing. Today was a sad but predictable day, but all is not lost.

That was miserable today. I've had a 36-hour door-to-door round trip from Orkney to watch this - and then to see a player in a Cowden strip give the finger to fans who have paid good money, then kick the ball out of the pitch, then applaud the opposition's fans as he went off the field. Scandalous.

Full credit to Alloa - they were first to every ball and played us off the park. The score could have been worse.

We do have some good players in our team - several of them formed the core of the side that put Dunfermline to the sword at the end of last season. Since the close season, the manager has chopped, changed, tinkered and played players out of position to disastrous effect. Then he has blamed the players in the press. Jimmy has had good support from the chairman and the board, and he has had a decent budget for players - but that budget has been largely squandered on mediocre players who weren't better than the players he had, but were paid more money. With that size of squad, we shouldn't have been in the doldrums.

We have had some great success in recent seasons, and we've been spoiled. It's been a good time to be a Cowden fan, but now we face a different reality - as we have done in the past.

We simply can't afford some of the players we have. The one we'll miss most is Chopper, who loves this club and has been a loyal and commanding presence for some years.

Here's a proposal to start a discussion: (1) Offer Chopper the job of player-manager. (2) Appoint Toorie as his assistant. (3) Appoint Deano as captain. (4) concentrate on young players - including the likes of Craig Johnston, Lewis Milne, Kyle Miller and one or two of the development squad - they should thrive and develop in a less competitive environment. (5) Sign one or two young players released by big clubs in the summer. (6) Sign one or two experienced journeymen who are released, and also from the juniors. With Chopper, Toorie and Deano, we'll have no more gutless performances - and also play to a consistent system that the players can actually understand (as Mixu did with players who weren't world beaters but were passionate about the game) - and we might get some smiles back on the faces of players and fans.

There is, of course, the big elephant in the room - the future of the club itself. We can't control that. But we can get some passion and direction back in the field of play, combined with a sense of appreciation on the terracing. Today was a sad but predictable day, but all is not lost.

Seconded. Cannae see the board taking it on tho Ron.

They backed JN to this outcome. Action was required in January but they couldn't /wouldn't see it.

Saw Toorie last week n asked him - jokingly - if he had applied for the job yet. He just laughed. He would jump at it but does he have the necessary badges? Would Chopper be up for it? Not sure.

muzza mate, if you dont rate lewis milne as a player for us in league 1 then i cant take any more of your posts seriously pal.

ron, the chopper and toorie dream team sounds pie in the sky to me mate. both have been great players for the club but seriously?

chopper would be better concentrating on getting a yard sharper. ben gordon a lot better player as an example.

dougie hill i heard would like to come back to the cowden. wants to remain part time but now we are relegated im pretty sure we couldnt afford him.

this summer could go seriously wrong for the club. last time we went down donald came out defiantly and said we will return as champions which mickey subsequently delivered. will the same drive re-emerge this summer? if not then we could easily be staring at another relegation as our budget will be decimated at best.

Have you seen Lewis Milne play for us in league one? You have no idea what he will be like, I still want to know what you're basing this on. You seem to be taken in by players who look like footballers - much like your defence of Sean Higgins as he 'has a football brain'. Another thing based on nothing.

He has some talent, without a doubt but that's no where near enough. You need more.

To build the team around him is ludicrous.

If players can't show the application required in the games against Alloa and Livi - where one win from the two would have kept us up - I don't really want them at the club next season. We can blame Nicholl (rightly so) but the application of too many players this season has been embarrassing.

Too many players have had too easy a ride with us for the last two seasons - getting paid relatively well I would imagine - and not turned in performances. The attitude is appalling.

i remember getting my photo taken with greg and lewis this time last season and saying to them 'you are cowdens 2 most talented players but who is the best?'.

1 bad season on you want to just ditch Lewis? if you are ditching him then they all basically have to go. lets just blow all the hard work of the last decade and punt the lot. f**k it. theres bound to be 20 or so better players gagging to come and play for 100 or less a week at central park.

do you not think jimmy tried to sign better players in the championship but due to facilities etc and funds we were last in the queue of championship clubs for a players preference and were behind several lower clubs while in the championship.

of course now we are in league 1 with zero cash we will be able to attract 20 better players. hmmm.

a new manager may bring 2 or 3 gems from lower, leagues, juniors or loans but not an entire squad and needs the best players from an existing squad.

does this really need explained?

Talk about over dramatising the whole situation because someone thinks Milne is pish. Many fans think the same. Just because they have a difference of opinion with you you don't need to blow a gasket and make a complete mountain out of a molehill.

If you think Milne had anywhere near as good a season last as Greg then I think we can just leave this debate.

Ditching Milne equates to throwing away 10 years of hard work, how exactly? Behave and think about what you're saying.

Do I think Jimmy tried to sign better players? Of course. Do I think there were better players available than Jimmy signed? Absolutely. Two very different things.

It's clear we disagree on his abilities and aren't going to change that but wanting to base the team around someone who NOBODY would have chosen to start against Alloa is mental. It makes no sense at all.

We've attracted players before and we will again.

Darren Gribben. A boy with exceptional talent, probably more than any of our current squad. Where is he now. Talent isn't everything in the game.

I'm more than happy to accept you think he's good, as I've said there's a player in there and I believe that. I just wouldn't retain him if he was out of contract.

You would, that's fine.

Archived