Cowdenbeath 2014/15 Championship Thread

We agreed a short term leave of absence in the circumstances like many enlightened employers would do. It seems a sensible option rather than your approach based on just giving someone money for months on end in case he decides to come back some time.

It clearly wasn't what I meant but bash on.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players regularly get released when injured - and paid out on the remaining sum of their contract obviously. He must have a full time job out of football so its not like youre sending him out on the street to die!

Speaking of which, our youth development seems to be quiet of late.

Don't see why we would wish to do that unless player requested it. Don't quite get what you are saying re youth development?

Don't see why we would wish to do that unless player requested it. Don't quite get what you are saying re youth development?

I'm asking a question about the new youth development set up. I'm not saying anything, I'm asking a question.

Please then explain exactly how this was going to work - bear in mind Kudus is also a contracted Dundee United player?

That some agreement may have been reached between the three parties that was amicable for each party. It's clear he's not in Dundee United's plans this season so it's not far fetched to assume that some sort of arrangement would be reached. It would have been ethical on their part.

I'm asking a question about the new youth development set up. I'm not saying anything, I'm asking a question.

Here's a tip then - use a question mark. Well the new set up was introduced in a short period so a lot of time and energy has been spent in set up, organisation, documentation of procedures, etc. It is seen as a very important component for CFC in the future and happy we are going in the right direction.

Strange to have Dean playing left back, you'd think he would come right into the side with The Israeli Haslam on the left side. Brownlie to keep his place alongside Nat as well.

I still think we are geared to be playing 352. You could see on Saturday we have f**k all midfield width! Robertson is not a wide player and Haslam is not a midfielder.

If Dean is deemed fit enough top play on Sat, i think he will play left back or wing back. Jimmy wont drop Kyle but seems to want Dean in the side.

That some agreement may have been reached between the three parties that was amicable for each party. It's clear he's not in Dundee United's plans this season so it's not far fetched to assume that some sort of arrangement would be reached. It would have been ethical on their part.

I think if a player said to his own club and loan club that he wasn't going to play for the rest of the season then I doubt we would waste time trying to come up with some 'what if' agreement.

Our season literally rests on the next set of signings jimmy has to make. He must get these ones right. Im afraid sutherland/jurisic didnt work and it was clear from the off it was never going to work. Kudus should come back and be professional if he has agreed a deal and committed to the club if not I would be majorly pissed off.

Couple of players form has dipped last couple of games and if we can sign a couple of players to keep them on their toes will do us the world of good. Our bench as of late is not good enough for a championship side. Granted injuries but im thinking middle to front this is where most teams make their subs in order to impact the game or give the team a freshness in an attacking sense we have ZERO at present.

Not sure who the 2 signings are likely to be it must be someone with pace and who is perhaps good at running channels and taking defenders out of positon. Higgins is easy to mark but I cut him slack coz he is a fantastic worker and is trying very hard perhaps too hard. I have a feeling Jimmy is going to sign a 6ft 1 player who is half decent in the air.....

mone the cowden.

Here's a tip then - use a question mark. Well the new set up was introduced in a short period so a lot of time and energy has been spent in set up, organisation, documentation of procedures, etc. It is seen as a very important component for CFC in the future and happy we are going in the right direction.

How many players do we have in this new Elite set-up? I think it is a backward step for Cowden, but I believe we were basically forced to do it as the funding would go to the Elite set-up only.

My only arguement about our youth set up is that the players who are given a chance even in pre-season friendlys dont look like they will be progressed or have that talent to progress. lewis milne even as a kid you could see he had something. I remember watchin Jon Robertson in a reserve game when he was 17-18 and telling my mate he would be a first team player. I just dont see any youths that have been given a chance becoming anything other than reserves with no future of progressing.

How many players do we have in this new Elite set-up? I think it is a backward step for Cowden, but I believe we were basically forced to do it as the funding would go to the Elite set-up only.

No that isn't true. All 4 Fife clubs had Academies - Dunfermline 3 star, Cowden and Raith 2 star, East Fife 1 star. Mark Wotte at the SFA was keen on Regional academies and Fife was seen as an area where this could work. The clubs were not railroaded into a Regional Academy as each could have kept their own set up - Forth Valley did not have all the Stirlingshire clubs in it for example - you would need two clubs at least though to set up a Regional academy.

The reality for Cowden was that running your own youth set up as a part time club was time consuming, costly, had lots of administrative and personnel issues and we were unlikely to ever get beyond 2 star. Dunfermline had been 4 star and hoped to get back to that but it was a challenge. However, by centralising into a separate entity the aim was to produce something greater than the sum of its parts - reach and at least maintain a 4 star level, it streamlines and centralises the admin and personnel challenges, employ the best coaches, and with its enhanced standing/status it is hoped that the best youngsters in Fife can be attracted rather than them going to the Old Firm, Dundee Utd, etc. It will no doubt take time to get where we want it to get to and there will doubtless be some teething issues.

There is propaganda against it from various sources - kids, their parents, coaches who weren't selected for example may decry it. The fact is that the 4 clubs were in effect running boys clubs with only a few players ever going the whole way through to the first team. The elite aspect is designed to hothouse the very best prospects and concentrate resources on those most likely to make it. Those excluded may still make it or be late developers and there are plenty of other clubs where they can continue to play and develop with. There is also propaganda around club rivalries. The ownership of the academy is say something like Dunfermline 43%, Cowden and Raith 21% each and East Fife the rest - I cant recall the exact split. You then get some Dunfermline fans saying 'we are the big club we should have our own academy' and the other 3 have fans saying 'it is Dunfermline dominated we shouldn't be accepting that'. Coaches who have left and had their own fiefdoms might tend to support such views. Asking how many players any club has in the Academy is a symptom of that sort of thinking. I don't know re Cowden off the top of my head (it isn't a big number) but eventually all the players will be academy not club players - we are in a transition period. Starting off with strict quotas for players from each club defeats the concept of an elite academy - it is merit not club which should have been the key driver behind player/coach selection. Each club has appointed a Director to be in charge of its academy involvement and it is a crucial part of that that they ensure that the Academy is run in a fair and balanced manner with no bias to any club. That isn't necessarily easy but is part of their role. Mechanisms are being established to ensure each club has a fair opportunity to sign players produced by the Academy - we need to see how well they work.

So who knows if it will work but it is a genuine attempt to do something different to capture local talent and ensure they end up playing for the local senior clubs. The previous system with 4 set ups had lots of difficulties and challenges which were not lessening over time. Why not give it a chance?

Once all the players are 'academy players' and not individual players what is the process for clubs signing them? Is it up to the player? For example if the academy produced a Ryan Gauld but he had no club how would the situation be resolved.

My only arguement about our youth set up is that the players who are given a chance even in pre-season friendlys dont look like they will be progressed or have that talent to progress. lewis milne even as a kid you could see he had something. I remember watchin Jon Robertson in a reserve game when he was 17-18 and telling my mate he would be a first team player. I just dont see any youths that have been given a chance becoming anything other than reserves with no future of progressing.

as I'm lead to believe that you have two young boys who where probably in the top five best players to come from the south east league last year if not the year before . Your going on about talent and progressing ever though it could be the club that's stopping these youth players from progressing with training methods lack of games ect

quote name="Muzza81" post="9100106" timestamp="1420553640"]

Once all the players are 'academy players' and not individual players what is the process for clubs signing them? Is it up to the player? For example if the academy produced a Ryan Gauld but he had no club how would the situation be resolved.

Not fully agreed as yet - we have now gone through various drafts and are almost there. There are many complex issues - my recollection of what is proposed is that if any club wants to sign a player, the others are notified and can make an offer within a predetermined timescale. There is to be an independent FEFA panel/committee made up of three independent appointees - appointed by the 4 clubs but not employed/linked with any of them who will give the player advice but ultimately the player decides.

as I'm lead to believe that you have two young boys who where probably in the top five best players to come from the south east league last year if not the year before . Your going on about talent and progressing ever though it could be the club that's stopping these youth players from progressing with training methods lack of games ect

You seen bitter about something or someone. Every time our youth system pops up you come steaming in moaning about it. Are you related to one of these players? Care to name them if they are 2 of the best 5 talents in the SE?

Archived