Cowdenbeath 2014/15 Championship Thread

Completely understand what you're saying. It's a double edged sword for me personally - I've never seen central park full in all its glory. It's just a pity that the majority of the crowd will be deplorable cretins. Without a doubt, I'd 100% rather see us play the pars in front of a capacity crowd, or anyone else other than the disgusting twosome. However you lot were too shite to be in our league this season :(

I say, let's appreciate the dosh we will make from the circus act and hopefully take something from the game.

Looking forward to the game but not everything that goes with it.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely understand what you're saying. It's a double edged sword for me personally - I've never seen central park full in all its glory. It's just a pity that the majority of the crowd will be deplorable cretins. Without a doubt, I'd 100% rather see us play the pars in front of a capacity crowd, or anyone else other than the disgusting twosome. However you lot were too shite to be in our league this season :(

I say, let's appreciate the dosh we will make from the circus act and hopefully take something from the game.

I agree with this. The whole atmosphere wont be enjoyable.

We all started supporting Cowden, not for the games where we were stuck in the stand isolated away from friends and banished from the terracing, but for the games where there was 400 hardy boys supporting something unique. Watching guys like Markus, Dene Shields - amongst others - rip the Shire ect to bits.

Games away to full time teams like Falkirk, Livi and even Raith have lost their spark and interest. Who really wants to go back to TFS or Almondvale? We all deep down long for the trips to Montrose, Berwick and Elgin - fighting for promotion to League 1, celebrating a last minute winner by piling down the front and in with the team. Moaning like f**k at another turgid performance away to Albion Rovers. The thrill is always in the chase and when you achieve it it's never as good as you imagine it to be. When we humped the Pars I couldnt wait for this season to start, similar with the 1000 Cowden fans at East End. When the reality kicks in the novely of playing at Easter Road and Tynie clearly isnt all that appealing - as a crowd of 200/300 fans proves (which will be less next time). Even season tickets of just 350 despite a fantastic offer from the club.

It's great to be successful and hold our own against some clubs 10x bigger than ours but games like Saturday have become all too frequent and it's clear that we arent ever going to pull a big enough support to compete.

Seeing the state of Central from the weekend is another sickener. We need a new, small, purpose build ground. Something that can encourage the younger generations. Play on the pitch in the morning watch Cowden in the afternoon.

Neither do I.

But that seems mainly to be because you are anti-Rangers whereas the primary motivation should surely be pro-Cowden. Rangers, Celtic, East Stirling, Dunfermline, Elgin - variety is the spice of life. I get the vibe some wish we had sat in the bottom league like the Shire, Montrose and Elgin for year and years on end.

We all started supporting Cowden, not for the games where we were stuck in the stand isolated away from friends and banished from the terracing, but for the games where there was 400 hardy boys supporting something unique. Watching guys like Markus, Dene Shields - amongst others - rip the Shire ect to bits.

Games away to full time teams like Falkirk, Livi and even Raith have lost their spark and interest. Who really wants to go back to TFS or Almondvale? We all deep down long for the trips to Montrose, Berwick and Elgin - fighting for promotion to League 1, celebrating a last minute winner by piling down the front and in with the team. Moaning like f**k at another turgid performance away to Albion Rovers. The thrill is always in the chase and when you achieve it it's never as good as you imagine it to be. When we humped the Pars I couldnt wait for this season to start, similar with the 1000 Cowden fans at East End. When the reality kicks in the novely of playing at Easter Road and Tynie clearly isnt all that appealing - as a crowd of 200/300 fans proves (which will be less next time). Even season tickets of just 350 despite a fantastic offer from the club.

It's great to be successful and hold our own against some clubs 10x bigger than ours but games like Saturday have become all too frequent and it's clear that we arent ever going to pull a big enough support to compete.

Seeing the state of Central from the weekend is another sickener. We need a new, small, purpose build ground. Something that can encourage the younger generations. Play on the pitch in the morning watch Cowden in the afternoon.

Seems like junior mentality - let's not try and do as well as we can on the field but have our own wee private social club that just potters away with the day out being more important than the result. Why not actually enjoy what we have achieved - fans, players, club, officials, etc while we can. Remember all those years with Markus, Dean Shields, etc was when the club had income from stock cars, the catering, the bar (including stock cars), the weekly market. All gone now and worse we pay a rent to play at Central Park. So we don't have the financial structure we had when we enjoyed those days if we go back down the Leagues. As for purpose built new grounds - where does the money come for that plus to actually acquire the club?

Seems like junior mentality - let's not try and do as well as we can on the field but have our own wee private social club that just potters away with the day out being more important than the result. Why not actually enjoy what we have achieved - fans, players, club, officials, etc while we can. Remember all those years with Markus, Dean Shields, etc was when the club had income from stock cars, the catering, the bar (including stock cars), the weekly market. All gone now and worse we pay a rent to play at Central Park. So we don't have the financial structure we had when we enjoyed those days if we go back down the Leagues. As for purpose built new grounds - where does the money come for that plus to actually acquire the club?

It's not at all. It's about enjoying yourself, supporting a football team is a hobby. A hobby that costs many of us upwards of £100 a week. There's not many other hobbies that you would continue to do that bring you so many days of unhappiness. As I said we have enjoyed it. You seem to take umbrage with almost every fans' remarks on here and want to chastise them if they hold a differing view to you.

Once again I know that we can't afford a ground or to purchase the club. I don't expect it to happen. Does that mean we aren't allowed to want one?

I get the vibe some wish we had sat in the bottom league like the Shire, Montrose and Elgin for year and years on end.

I don't but so what if people do? It's their choice and opinion. Does it make them less of a fan no? The uber fan mentality means nothing.

Certainly days away to Berwick & Arbroath are much more enjoyable than the Championship away days for having a laugh, but games against those type of clubs don't generate enough income to sustain the club. We're still in a fight for survival as a club. CC has stated how we don't have the income we used to have from other sources, so it means games against Rangers, Hearts, Hibs etc are crucial for the well being of the club.

It's not at all. It's about enjoying yourself, supporting a football team is a hobby. A hobby that costs many of us upwards of £100 a week. There's not many other hobbies that you would continue to do that bring you so many days of unhappiness. As I said we have enjoyed it. You seem to take umbrage with almost every fans' remarks on here and want to chastise them if they hold a differing view to you.

Once again I know that we can't afford a ground or to purchase the club. I don't expect it to happen. Does that mean we aren't allowed to want one?

Umbrage - never taken that in my life! Presumably I do get to have an opinion and get to disagree with the 'glass half empty brigade'. Why if I simply don't agree with someone's view am I chastising them - by that same standard you are chastising me. If I don't agree surely I get to say so and give a fan's opinion as valid as anyone elses. Why can't Cowden fans be allowed to enjoy the novelty and challenge of playing Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, etc instead of trying to find reasons to grouse about it as if we should know our place and just settle for making up the numbers in the lower leagues. Make the best of it while we can is my view. The hobby thing is a interesting one - is it just a hobby - that's what the Brewsters once said it was to me while for them it is business. I am not sure - it has cost me thousands and thousands of pounds and hours and provided seemingly real highs and sadness. I think it's a part of my life, my roots, etc, a bit more than just being an alternative to stamp collecting or train spotting. Maybe though that just makes me a saddo!

I don't but so what if people do? It's their choice and opinion. Does it make them less of a fan no? The uber fan mentality means nothing.

No but it maybe means many folk are wasting their time and money trying to make Cowden as successful as they can against the odds if there is a faction who aren't even bothered about trying to progress in the first place. I don't know what uber fan mentality is unless you mean it is fans trying their best to help their club progress/survive.

Umbrage - never taken that in my life! Presumably I do get to have an opinion and get to disagree with the 'glass half empty brigade'. Why if I simply don't agree with someone's view am I chastising them - by that same standard you are chastising me. If I don't agree surely I get to say so and give a fan's opinion as valid as anyone elses. Why can't Cowden fans be allowed to enjoy the novelty and challenge of playing Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, etc instead of trying to find reasons to grouse about it as if we should know our place and just settle for making up the numbers in the lower leagues. Make the best of it while we can is my view. The hobby thing is a interesting one - is it just a hobby - that's what the Brewsters once said it was to me while for them it is business. I am not sure - it has cost me thousands and thousands of pounds and hours and provided seemingly real highs and sadness. I think it's a part of my life, my roots, etc, a bit more than just being an alternative to stamp collecting or train spotting. Maybe though that just makes me a saddo!

For someone like yourself it's more than a hobby - absoltely it is. No one is denying that. To someone who attends a game once a week it's still part of our life but we chose to go to the games. We make conscious decisions to keep going back - regardless if we get humped, disagree with signings, lose our best players. We keep going back for no real rantionale reason. We are winning about 8 games a calendar year at the minute, it's not an enjoyable experience but we keep going back. There's no explaining why.

You're saying we should strive to be better but at the same time fans, like myself, get shot down for being (what's perceived as) negative when we have poor results or players are playing poorly. People reply with we are punching above our weight, the players are doing their best ect ect. I've never just accepted anything and always strived to achieve more. You just can't win.

It's like Hibs quest for the Scottish Cup. The chase is the exciting part. Every season knowing the wait has been so long. When they actually win it it will be fantastic for them but they will start the next season's Scottish Cup campaign without that feeling of chasing a pot of gold.

No but it maybe means many folk are wasting their time and money trying to make Cowden as successful as they can against the odds if there is a faction who aren't even bothered about trying to progress in the first place. I don't know what uber fan mentality is unless you mean it is fans trying their best to help their club progress/survive.

Come on, you're better than that. Once again no one is saying they don't want us to be successful, no one is saying they aren't bothered. Every week we turn up wanting us to win.

In a way I can see where Muzz is coming from missing days out at places we have never been to for years but in reality if we had been going to the same old places over the last four years we would be sick of the sight of them!

Personally I would say clubs should be aiming to get as realistically high as they can and for us that's the Championship.

Despite getting beat I enjoyed the novelty factor of playing league games at Tynecastle and Easter Road. There were days when we were at the arse end of the third division that those two games would have been deemed an impossible dream.

The Rangers fans being in the home end when they play a wee team away from home is always going to happen, it would probably happen If we drew Celtic in a cup as well. Its not ideal but then again a lot of things in life aren't ideal.

Someone mentioned earlier we have 370 season ticket holders. So assuming we get 4 x full houses against RFC and HMFC and say 2000 for each Hibs Game (who knows) at a ratio of 2 adults to 1 concession (probable be more than that but let's err on the side of caution) so an average ticket price of £15. So approx. 4,000 paying punters for 4 games and 3200 paying punters for Hibs = 22.4k people @ £15 per head = £336,000 revenue.

The other 12 games even assuming a generous attendance of 500 paying punters is only 6000 people at a lower gate price say £13 on average = £78,000.

It's roughly an extra £300,000 grand in revenue. Sure the overheads will be higher but it's a massive amount of extra cash.

It's probably more than that as I think I have err'd on the side of caution here, very much back of a fag packet maths though.

Someone mentioned earlier we have 370 season ticket holders. So assuming we get 4 x full houses against RFC and HMFC and say 2000 for each Hibs Game (who knows) at a ratio of 2 adults to 1 concession (probable be more than that but let's err on the side of caution) so an average ticket price of £15. So approx. 4,000 paying punters for 4 games and 3200 paying punters for Hibs = 22.4k people @ £15 per head = £336,000 revenue.

The other 12 games even assuming a generous attendance of 500 paying punters is only 6000 people at a lower gate price say £13 on average = £78,000.

It's roughly an extra £300,000 grand in revenue. Sure the overheads will be higher but it's a massive amount of extra cash.

It's probably more than that as I think I have err'd on the side of caution here, very much back of a fag packet maths though.

You probably have. Someone was quoted as saying next season was worth an extra 250k in ticket sales and thats before Hibs took the drop. Can't remember who. Might have been the chief exec.

Archived