Accies v Hibs / Hibs v Accies: The Final

Petrie wasn't getting any more money for it and Hibs had already provided their obligated number of games. BT were chancing their arm by asking for an "extra" Hibs game for free as part of the TV deal, while Hibs were trying to ensure they had as many people at the game as possible.

It wasn't about getting it "free" - BT were within their overall limit. All that was exceeded was the maximum guaranteed Hibs home quota.

But no matter how many times a team is shown, they don't get more or less TV money; it's all thrown into the central prize pot and paid out based on league position.

The only financial reason for refusing BT was to try and get more punters through the gate. But I don't think that was a resounding success.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or 140 characters...

Anyway, my issue with Hibs going down is this media obsession, fuelled by Hearts and Sevco fans, that the "Championship will be the better league next season". Now thankfully Dunfermline have already fucked up part of that plan (yes, they were cited as being one of the big clubs for some weird reason). If Hibs somehow get through these games, then all that's left of their dream are Hearts and Sevco.

I honestly don't know where this pish comes from.

The 2nd tier may be more competitive next year than our league but for the past 20+ years it always has been.

The quality certainly won't be better and the top league will still have comfortably higher average attendances.

As I said, it's a fire fuelled by Hearts and Sevco fans that's being fanned by the media.

Chick Young said it to Les Gray (Hamilton chairman) yesterday and he quickly shot it down, saying it was a "no-brainer" to be promoted.

I think the open way Accies play, this might well be over in the first leg.

They are pretty gung-ho - if they bang in a couple of early goals, Hibs could well collapse.

If Hibs make it a slug-fest they have a chance, but I'd say it's 60/40 Hamilton

Or 140 characters...

Anyway, my issue with Hibs going down is this media obsession, fuelled by Hearts and Sevco fans, that the "Championship will be the better league next season". Now thankfully Dunfermline have already fucked up part of that plan (yes, they were cited as being one of the big clubs for some weird reason). If Hibs somehow get through these games, then all that's left of their dream are Hearts and Sevco.

Dunfermline would have made the league better by way they are technically a bigger club than Cowdenbeath, added to that they would be another ex-Premiership team in the Championship.

The Championship will almost certainly be more exciting than the SPL, even more so if Hibs were to join (though I reckon they have enough over 2 legs to sneak past Hamilton). The fact Rangers will be one step from the top level is enough for the media to fuel the hysteria about the championship next season, Hearts and potentially Hibs just adds the excitement for the tv companies.

FWIW I've not seen one person, or the media, say the championship will be a better quality of football.

The 2nd tier may be more competitive next year than our league but for the past 20+ years it always has been.

The quality certainly won't be better and the top league will still have comfortably higher average attendances.

The quality of the top league will obviously be higher but if Hibs lose the playoff the attendance will be very similar.

Rangers will pull in more than Celtic as they're in a competitive league, Hearts and Aberdeen will be similar but if we are in the title race I'd expect our average to be higher. Hibs pulled in big crowds last time they went down which would equal up to three of the prem teams left average and away crowds at the likes of Falkirk, Cowdenbeath etc will push their attendances well up.

I was one of them hoping Dunfermline went up (8300 at their game on Sunday, remarkable for a 2nd division side) I quite like the club and if they are doing well they can pull in big crowds, a much more 'attractive' club than say Cowdenbeath, if Hibs go down think the Championship would be a belter, hopefully it would result in a 3 way run between Hibs, Hearts and Sevco.

Or 140 characters...

Agreed, I hope Hibs come through their games for a few reasons.

-It was our easiest 9 points of the season

-Edinburgh is a great away day

-I actually have no dislike for Hibs despite them seeming to hate us (see hibs.net)

-Media Championship spunkfest you mention

-It will annoy Hearts fans

However, I will not grudge myself a wee chuckle if Accies do the business.

Hi everyone, #egb here.

Just popping by to wish the lads all the best for the showpiece of Scottish football, the playoff final. I know some of you smugly predicted "you'll be back". Well technically I never said I wouldn't. 1-0 Braghy.

I've been keeping up to date with Hibs from the other side of the world and my word, what a mess it's been. We've been a bit unlucky at times but there's no hiding the fact that the results have been stinking, and therefore I'm not confident.

One observation from afar is that despite the results, the fans have been fantastic all season, even for some of our biggest humiliations ever like Malmo and the derby defeats this season our fans have been unreal. As everyone knows we'll bring a bigger support than anyone outside the OF would bring to Hamilton (including Hamilton), so I'm sure that'll give the boiz a lift. Tbh I think our large support is the reason the SFA have given us this huge advantage with a longer break, a decision I wholly support. I thought they might fix the Hamilton Falkirk game so we got Falkirk but alas they didn't want to make their support for us that obvious.

My team would be:

Ben Willbeatyams

Teddy Maybs

The Don

The Newry Maldini

Stevenwin

Skillboy Harris

KT Trumpsall

Liam Craig

Football Tutor Jones

Sam > Pat Stanton

FTH Cummings

Stay strong Hibby's. When the second leg kicks off I'll be on a bus starting a two month tour of five countries (#yolo) but I'll be thinking about you's. Just remember, all of the Scottish football family is behind us here.

Fair play to Petrie for that, in the grand scheme of things, scottish clubs get little in the way of TV money and real fans have to adjust their schedule all the time for silly kick off times. So trying to get an extra game, a big one at that for nothing its good to see someone to tell them to GTF.

As much as I would like to watch this game we have to look at the bigger picture and it means we will have an extra bargaining chip at the next tv deal negotiation.

Get a grip. We're a footballing superpower and belong in a league worthy of our status. The day we equate ourselves with Hibs and teams of their "stature", that's the day I'll go back to following Liverpool and the Accies as a hobby

Archived