Dundee United 2014/15 Season

Seems to be a bit of 'P&B pluralisation' going on here, it happens all the time. One person says something so it immediately gets bumped up to 'fans'. Optimistic about our new signing but I always hope for the best when anyone joins the club. Would like us to see about maybe strengthening our defensive midfield area. I know it seems like we have a bit of cover there but with Rankin possibly on the decline it leaves us with really just Paton as a proper sitting defensive midfielder. I know we can play Telfer there but I think in the longterm he will be played further forward.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect the allusion was rather that Celtic have a tendency to stockpile players which can have the effect of completely de-railing a player's career. Not every Scottish player who goes to Celtic will fail but many won't be given a decent crack of the whip and will go backwards as a result. That applies to non-Scottish players too, I imagine.

Well Ronny has already came out this week saying he is looking to trim the squad, he wants a smaller squad mixed with youth and experience.

History?

Examples?

It's always been a bit of a myth we only buy other SPFL to either weaken other clubs or anyone we buy becomes a benchwarmer.

If they're good enough they will play, no doubts about that

Examples?

It's always been a bit of a myth we only buy other SPFL to either weaken other clubs or anyone we buy becomes a benchwarmer.

Willo Flood for starters, from the same club no less.

Examples?

Zaluska.

If I was JMac I'd be cutting his game time drastically, he's moved on and so should we, Connolly and Telfer should be used more often now, keep MacKay-Stevens for big games if he looks uninterested there's a place on the u20's bench for him. Gary has done well by the club to be fair, ST has tried his utmost to get a big fee for him and its never panned out, can't hold that against Gary.

So bets on how long before hes back or at Aberdeen? I'll give him 18 months.

But you knew he was leaving at the end of the season anyway, so why does the fact that you now know the club mean that you should cut his game time?

Did he not sign from Utd? maybe my memories playing tricks on me.

We signed him on a free after his contact with Cardiff expired.

Signed by Strachan, and resigned for him again at Middlesbrough as Mowbray didn't fancy him.

He was only with us for a year, hardly ruined his career

Strachan must have rated him though

I remember Celtic demanding six figures from us for Rocco Quinn, a player who had no chance of even making the bench at Celtic Park, he went from a key player to an absolute nobody due to Celtic, thankfully they decided to let him have a career eventually

Ah, fair enough. Was a bad move for him though, seems to have settled at Aberdeen now.

He was on loan at United when he agreed to join Celtic, turning down United in the process.

I remember Celtic demanding six figures from us for Rocco Quinn, a player who had no chance of even making the bench at Celtic Park, he went from a key player to an absolute nobody due to Celtic, thankfully they decided to let him have a career eventually

Aye since he was forced to signed a contact with us.

Some players need to take responsibility for their own careers, we've had many reserve players who have happily hanged around collecting the cash

Did the same with Scott Fox. He ended up having to play on an amateur contract for Queen of the South and spent a while not playing. It's disgraceful to do with players like that who will definitely not be involved in their first team.

If they want to benefit from their future success, they could simply negotiate a sell on percentage fee.

Aye since he was forced to signed a contact with us.

Some players need to take responsibility for their own careers, we've had many reserve players who have happily hanged around collecting the cash

He signed a contract a year before he joined us, and Celtics policy at the time was to put one year extensions into every youngsters contracts. Regardless I don't blame the player for signing a contract with the biggest side in the country when he was still young and felt he could make it, by the time he reached us he was desperate for first team football and wanted to join us, the extension clause made it difficult and then the six figure sum quoted made it impossible. Thankfully the extension clauses are fairer on younger players now.

If GMS or Anier get on the pitch before the end of the seasons that's a red line for me. Season ticket will be flung towards the Tannadice turf in a disgruntled fashion.

And then doing a Fifespud for the remainder of the season presumably?

But you knew he was leaving at the end of the season anyway, so why does the fact that you now know the club mean that you should cut his game time?

Because I've watched him all season and barring the past three games he's not been that good. The season stretches further than January. Like I said keep him for the big games, games he'll be arsed with, TV games, cup games etc.

Archived