Dundee United 2014/15 Season

The thing with Graham for me is the glaring, amateurish misses which he has been prone to. He does seem to get into good positions but the finishing has been woeful.

I agree about the set piece thing, it's like we don't practice them at all. I remember earlier in the season we went something like 42 corners without creating a chance. In this league set piece situations are vital and have so often been our undoing.

As for players leaving this summer, of the starting 11 I can only see GMS possibly going due to the contract situation. Robertson and Armstrong especially would take silly money for the club to consider it so I can't see them going anywhere. On the whole I'm optimistic for the coming season providing we sort the defence out, and see no reason why we shouldn't be hoping for a Euro position again.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: :lol:

So now he's worth more than Gauld? You'll never get two million for him.

£2.8m for Goodwillie when we had millions of debt and having scored, what, 20 goals? £2m for the best left back to ever grace Europe is nothing.

I don't get this "hoping for top 6" or "if you told me we'd get 4th and a final I would have bitten your hands off", chat, I believe that fourth is the minimum position of acceptability for the season, below that its been a failure, more so next season.

Yes a cup is a lottery, and we never drew Celtic, Aberdeen or Motherwell in either so we were fortunate in my opinion.

Yes we've got a young team but they're all settled, well paid and have 30 - 100 first team games under their belt now, inexperience can't be an excuse next season.

As I said in the 13/14 thread I think we need a centre half (ideally two), a keeper, a striker and a right back.

We could probably do with punting Darren Jackson and getting a defence coach on the staff and getting rid of Stevie Banks in favour of Hinchcliffe appears to have backfired too.

Next season will definitely be our last with Robertson, Armstrong, GMS and Ciftci, potentially Gauld and Souttar too and with it probably our last chance to win a trophy for the next 5 years if we lose 5 or 6 of our first team.

I feel like I'm going through the seven stages of grief after Saturday, today is sponsored by Anger.

Players I would like to see the back of-

Gunning-too many rushes of shit to his brain cell

Graham- better off replacing him with a corner flag!

Farid- just go

Would like to see maybe Craig Gordon in on the coaching side,Macdonald from hertz would be a great signing for us, gives proper competition to Rado

a couple of good solid central defenders

and a proper striker to link up with Cifti,,someone in the mould as fat sally used to be

expectations- proper push for 2nd/3rd place,preferably with a wee challenge to Celtic (wouldn't expect a sustained challenge)

For us to beat St Johnstone at least twice, same goes for the sheep

My Reality- we have a shit start to the season and end up bottom 6 :thumbsdown

That's spot on. It's why st Johnstone have whupped our asses 4 times this season, yet we can beat some other teams regularly with ease.

I think we might manage to keep Robertson, but I think GMS and Stretch will be away.

I'd like to see us signing David Wotherspoon from saints, but I know that's not going to happen.

If you've got a ton of money and are willing to use torture techniques, it might happen.

If you had offered me at the strt of the season that we would lose a Scottish cup final I would have told you to f**k off.

With so many young lads this year we were always going to be inconsistent and have the odd f**k up. Next year is jackies real test to see if we can get the squad to be a more consistent and a bit more solid. Where we failed badly this year was against strong,organised teams in st Johnstone and Aberdeen we need more dig.

My bold prediction is 3rd place.

Excellent news in this morning's Courier: that bawbag Gunning has confirmed he's away. Asked how much the club have done for him he apparently replied that he'd done a lot for the club too. Classic bell-endery. My money's on him ending up at Sevco. Fingers crossed.

If you had offered me at the strt of the season that we would lose a Scottish cup final I would have told you to f**k off.

With so many young lads this year we were always going to be inconsistent and have the odd f**k up. Next year is jackies real test to see if we can get the squad to be a more consistent and a bit more solid. Where we failed badly this year was against strong,organised teams in st Johnstone and Aberdeen we need more dig.

My bold prediction is 3rd place.

I'm not sure that it's dig that we've missed, it's strength on the ball when being harried and battered. Against those teams, our players don't used their bodies well enough to give themselves breathing room when the one touch layoff isn't possible. I'm talking mainly about the four playing behind Ciftci, who are perhaps a bit too 'nice'. Contrast to Barry Robson, who is repeatedly able to hold off and muscle off players then move away or get the pass off. In short, we dont respond well to bullying.

Also, as much as I like what Rankin and Paton have brought to the team, both are slow to the tackle. Someone with a bit more energy and strength in there might be what we're missing.

Excellent news in this morning's Courier: that bawbag Gunning has confirmed he's away. Asked how much the club have done for him he apparently replied that he'd done a lot for the club too. Classic bell-endery. My money's on him ending up at Sevco. Fingers crossed.

He's in danger of ending up a complete waste of space at this level in the mould of Riordan and O'Connor. Glad he's gone. Commence the signing of that reliable, experienced brick shithouse we were talking about.

Also for me we need to sort out who is our captain. Dillon is not up to the job. ( I wonder if that's a factor in gunnings poor performances when Dillon is running the show)

As has been mentioned previously a solid experienced centre back beside Souter would do me. Just don't see Dillon in that role either. Sure he's got better towards he end of the season but not captain or mentor material.

For captain I'd go for rankin. 100% commitment and leads from the front. Not afraid to gee them up either. Or maybe Armstrong?

Boooooo! Gunning must stay!

Good news indeed. It does seem a slightly bizarrely written article though - either Gunning is intentionally coming across as petulant schoolboy or the author is certainly doing his best to portray him as such!

A million for GMS?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My thoughts exactly. Nobody will part with anything like £1m for a guy who catches the cold so often. With a year left on his contract £400k absolute maximum.

Fantastic piece of business selling Goodwillie for £2.8m. I genuinely thought he went for half that.

What happened to Gunning supposedly signing for Sevco to reduce his gambling debts?

:lol:

This is not a United mad rumour, this is from a very good source. The story should be public in the next few days.

It seems Gunning has got himself in a bit of bother with a Glasgow firm and this firm has supposedly told him he better sign for Sevco in order to bring his debt down. Gunning supposedly has huge gambling issues.

Glad that Gunning has gone. I thought when he first signed that he was an excellent defender and he has shown flashes of that this season, however he has also been caught out with his sheer stupidity and his 'laid back' attitude that we often see off the park on things like ArabZone (basically he comes across as a bit of a tool)

I think unless he bucks up his ideas then he will be caught out big time down south, especially as he is leaving the relative security and safety of the Lochee Fleet behind.

The biggest annoyance about Gunning (and this might seem childish) is that I just never got the impression he actually gave a f**k about playing for us. He just seemed the type that he thought that we should be glad to have him rather than him being the one pleased about playing for United. He comes across as the type that football is a bit of an annoyance to him and he would rather be doing something else.

Getting rid of one our biggest earners is significant though, and hopefully we have already earmarked some of his wages for one, if not two defenders to come in to replace him.

Likely utter garbage, but rumour elsewhere about this out of contract Czech ogre being The Messiah at centre back... :wub:

1411460-img-sport-fotbal-slavia-sparta-l

wank.gif

A 6'4", 83kg beast the likes of which some of us have been hankering for for a few years. And at 29, the experienced head we've been missing.

Archived