Dundee United 2014/15 Season

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was a very poor game.

Hibs look better than last season, not that that would be difficult. They were happier to pass it about at the back than us which annoyed me immensely, as we often just resort to hoofing the ball up front and lose it.

We were far too pedestrian, with little movement, and players stood around looking for a pass whilst they and others simply stood still. Armstong and Ciftci were all to frequently coming back to take the ball off the defence as they had no service. Dow simply wasn't involved.

The subs when they came on showed far more urgency, and started creating chances, one finished nicely by Erskine. Telfer was brought in as an attacking midfielder, but he came on for Paton in the deeper role, and made an impact, asking for and moving the ball quickly.

It was scary how much not having Robertson as an outlet on the left impacted on our performance :(

I wasn't at the game due to work, how did Hibs get on?

Looked really comfortable on the ball, however lacking a killer pass. I thought Harris looked excellent for the hour or so he played.

Seems like Stubbs wants to play a passing and possession style.

Hibs looked the better team until the changes then we came into it more and you seemed to struggle against our smaller technical players. Some bomb scare defending after the changes.

Decent pre season game. Neither side fully baked yet but that's to be expected. I was pleased with both the new centre halves. Connolly and Telfer both played well when they came on. Armstrong also did well. Bilate looked miles off the pace but that may simply be a fitness thing. Spittal did a decent job at right back, likewise Petrie in his brief cameo at left back.

Was a very poor game.

Hibs look better than last season, not that that would be difficult. They were happier to pass it about at the back than us which annoyed me immensely, as we often just resort to hoofing the ball up front and lose it.

We were far too pedestrian, with little movement, and players stood around looking for a pass whilst they and others simply stood still. Armstong and Ciftci were all to frequently coming back to take the ball off the defence as they had no service. Dow simply wasn't involved.

The subs when they came on showed far more urgency, and started creating chances, one finished nicely by Erskine. Telfer was brought in as an attacking midfielder, but he came on for Paton in the deeper role, and made an impact, asking for and moving the ball quickly.

It was scary how much not having Robertson as an outlet on the left impacted on our performance :(

Decent pre season game. Neither side fully baked yet but that's to be expected. I was pleased with both the new centre halves. Connolly and Telfer both played well when they came on. Armstrong also did well. Bilate looked miles off the pace but that may simply be a fitness thing. Spittal did a decent job at right back, likewise Petrie in his brief cameo at left back.

With the exception of Morris (our best player) and Fojut we were very poor for sixty minutes. I thought Armstrong wasn't great and Ciftci looked disinterested.

Better when the subs came on, Erskine took his goal really well but did nothing else. GMS subjected to the usual treatment that players in Scotland dish out to flair players. Connelly was really impressive, must be given game time by Jackie.

Our full back positions were the biggest issue early on. If we've not signed a left back for the start of the season then Dillon must be played at right back rather than left back as it's better to have one weakness rather than two.

Can't judge Bilate as he had f*ck all service for the time he was on the park.

We've got a lot to do between now an the opener against the Dons.

Looked really comfortable on the ball, however lacking a killer pass. I thought Harris looked excellent for the hour or so he played.

Seems like Stubbs wants to play a passing and possession style.

Hibs looked the better team until the changes then we came into it more and you seemed to struggle against our smaller technical players. Some bomb scare defending after the changes.

Nelson <_<

With the exception of Morris (our best player) and Fojut we were very poor for sixty minutes. I thought Armstrong wasn't great and Ciftci looked disinterested.

Better when the subs came on, Erskine took his goal really well but did nothing else. GMS subjected to the usual treatment that players in Scotland dish out to flair players. Connelly was really impressive, must be given game time by Jackie.

Our full back positions were the biggest issue early on. If we've not signed a left back for the start of the season then Dillon must be played at right back rather than left back as it's better to have one weakness rather than two.

Can't judge Bilate as he had f*ck all service for the time he was on the park.

We've got a lot to do between now an the opener against the Dons.

Hibs are just a bunch of lower league hammer throwers though. :ph34r:

Nelson <_<

Was that the boy who was sliding all over the shop as Connelly (The 5ft nothing boy who came on) beat about 5 players but just couldn't get the shot away?

Fucking hell guys, it's Paddy Connolly's son.

Thats probably the reason they're subconsciously spelling it wrong tbh

Fucking hell guys, it's Paddy Connolly's son. Paddy Connolly. Granny I can excuse - we're none of us as young as we used to be - but the actual young guys, come on to f**k.

In my defence Paddy was before my time, I had the luxury of Hamilton,Lilley and McIntyre.

Thats probably the reason they're subconsciously spelling it wrong tbh

Paddy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your mum.

Interesting interview with Jackie Mac on Arabzone. He says about 3 times... "If Andy decides he wants to go", so it might not be cut and dried as yet, or maybe that's just Jackie's wishful thinking!

Paddy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your mum.

:lol: On the Gin again?

I thought that was a decent enough result for a friendly if not a overwhelmingly impressive performance. Certainly not attacking-wise anyway. Hibs were very composed in the first half but couldn't find the killer ball or touch they needed while we weren't all that inspiring. I can't say I was overly impressed with Bilate but it's still a bit early days for him, especially while he regains his fitness and as someone else said earlier he wasn't exactly getting a lot of good service however I thought Armstrong, Ciftci and Dow were just poor on the whole. Rankin and Paton did their job relatively quietly and effectively which was good to see. Fojut (understandably) looked a bit rusty to me for the first ten minutes or so but I was more and more impressed by him as the game went on although he clearly still has a little bit of catching up fitness-wise as he tired badly . Morris did well today the most part which is encouraging too. I was far happier with Rado yesterday than at the Forfar friendly the other week too, I thought his save from Harris in the 2nd half was excellent.

It's also always good to see the the subs having a big impact. We looked far better when McNamara shook things up and took a lot of our usual starters off. GMS, Graham, Erskine and Petrie all looked lively while Connolly and Telfer's introduction particularly seemed to breathe life into us after we'd been so flat for most of the game. All in all a decent enough day out, despite getting caught out in that massive rainfall around 1ish and ending up totally f*cking drenched.

Archived