Dundee United 2014/15 Season

Strange footballing city Dundee, United have all the money, but The Dees are doing all the signings? I'd like Swansea to have signed Robertson but Hull City have done well on their return to the EPL. How much of this transfer will go towards the playing budget, 75 - 50%?

We have made a fair few signings too, and hopefully sorted the areas we needed looking at. The Dees' scattergun approach with their 79 new players will backfire when Hartley goes to submit his first teamsheet and is reminded he's only allowed to play 11 at a time.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gutted that Robbo's gone. Had he stayed another year I think we'd have been looking at higher offers and he'd have more appealing clubs making the offers but only time will tell if he's made the right decision I guess.

Good luck to Robertson.

Spence was on the radio saying it was all agreed in principle with Hull and his wages will go up tenfold so the deal is pretty certain to go through. Think he mentioned 2.3 million but add ons etc would take it well over 3.

Really enjoyed watching him last year but we have to let him go. We are getting in some great young talent as we are selling ourselves to them as a stepping stone to the top leagues. This shows the top young players what can happen and going forward they are more likely to join United. We are now debt free which is a huge bonus for the club.

Im happy with our squad going into the season, we obviously now need a left back and are stronger going forward than defensively but with Ciftci, Armstrong, GMS, Dow, Bilate, Spittle, Telfer Connolly etc there it will be another exciting season at Tannadice.

Obviously quite a lot of people will be pissed off at this, but as a club we are well run, in good financial shape, have a good young progressive team and manager and are doing things properly.

Strange footballing city Dundee, United have all the money, but The Dees are doing all the signings? I'd like Swansea to have signed Robertson but Hull City have done well on their return to the EPL. How much of this transfer will go towards the playing budget, 75 - 50%?

From a Scotland perspective it's a good thing he hasn't ended up at Swansea. It would have severely restricted Stephen Kingsley's opportunities and Robertson would probably have started off as second choice behind Neil Taylor.

Can't imagine how disappointed United fans must be that he's leaving; even I'm gutted that he won't be playing up here anymore. I'd been hoping to get to a United game in the next couple of months just to see him play. Quite disappointed that Hull are his likely destination. Could quite easily see them struggling to cope with European and domestic football and ending up fighting relegation. Hope I'm wrong though.

On the plus side, he's better than what they've already got at left back so he should go straight into the team. Never been so excited about the potential of a young Scottish player; I really think he could be playing at the top end of European football in a few years time.

Delighted with this deal personally. With Gauld, I was disappointed United received so much money for a player that right now at least, doesn't offer an amazing amount. Robertson is probably the best LB in the league and even despite the fee, it'll weaken United considerably such was his quality so I'm glad to see him off.

This time last season I imagine most United fans were sweating that we hadn't replaced Douglas, all we had done was sign a young boy from QP who was going into our 21's and would fill in during pre season until an experienced LB was found.

12 months later we've sold that young lad for £3m.

Although he was undoubtedly better than Gauld last season I can't blame the club for selling here.

I think it does weaken us more than the Gauld sale and Andy can't be replaced like for like, but if we get a more solid defender rather than a wing back like Robbo is, coupled with the giants we've signed at CB then we'll be much harder to beat.

We might not be as attractive to watch without Gauld and Robbo in our side.

McNamara must be tearing his hair out, he will be lucky to get ten bob to spend. Dees well odds on in first derby now.

^^^ Absolutely shitting it, again :thumsup2

Fairwell, young Robbo. Last summer we were expecting to be watching you through gaps in our fingers in the coming season, but instead you had us out of our seats. Will be sorely missed. :bairn

:wub:

million-pounds-in-cash-image-picture-cli

We surely got more than £2m for Roberston. We've fucked up if not.

£2m up front my understanding, add-ons to take it to possibly £3.5m

20% if we're lucky. We have made signings anyway. We've bought two solid b*****ds for centre half, Spittal and Telfer to replace Gauld and Bilate replacing Goodwillie/El Alagui.

15% sell-on.

I sense a £5 million bid for Wighton, which we will naturally reject.

I know we are fucking minted now, but I doubt we'll bid that much for him, to be honest. 100k or so when you're relegated next year should be enough.

What an incredible story for Andrew Robertson. To think that little over a year ago he was effectively an amateur footballer. He probably had hopes that he would still play at a decent level but for it to happen so quickly is pretty astonishing. As for us as a club a huge amount of credit has to go to McNamara and whoever identified Robertson as a target. Also to Thompson for what he has managed to achieve in the last few years and in holding out for such a good sum of money.

The question must be. What now? For a club like us to be debt free is pretty fantastic so it will be very interesting to see what we now do in things like the transfer market, in developing the club, in the youth setup etc. The directors and the board can now start thinking about things other than just "we need to clear the debt". It is a pretty amazing position to be in considering the financial problems Scottish football has had over the past few years.

Wonder what the actual deal is. Gauld was widely reported as 3m, but the Dundee papers quickly stuck to 2.2m + add-ons. Also wonder if Queen's Park are due any sell-on cash.

Wonder what the actual deal is. Gauld was widely reported as 3m, but the Dundee papers quickly stuck to 2.2m + add-ons. Also wonder if Queen's Park are due any sell-on cash.

I had heard that he personally asked for some kind of small clause to be included for Queen's Park, but not sure if that is just the internet talking or fact.

Great move for robertson and a fantastic achievement by stephen thomson to get us debt free from the position he was left with.

Gauld might end up world class or might fade away but I fully expect Robertson to be the Scotland left back for a decade and to net united another million at least within the next few years.

however, having gojne from being optimistic about the centre halfs I am now a bit concerned about our full backs for the coming season. We also scored loads of goals from robertsons counter attacking last season. We were much better at scoring counter attack goals than breaking teams down. I'll be happy to get a top 4 finish with guys like telfer and maybe even coote getting game time.

Give them the 20k we were going to bid for Wighton. We have enough AMs

Archived