Dundee United 2014/15 Season

Although it's nice to get some benefit from them first, I think every team in Scotland invests money in a youth system in the hope of selling players and making money. For United to get £3 million for a player that likely wouldn't even have been in their starting XI on the opening day of the season is fantastic business.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great deal for United and great move for Gauld. For United it keeps their selling point as an excellent club for youngsters to develop at and a stepping stone to bigger things. It puts more funds in the bank and may allow Jackie Mac a bigger playing budget this year. For Gauld it moves him to a big big European club that has a lot of guys playing in the world cup and also has champions league football.

Would be surprised if he featured in the first team for a while and may well play for the B team in the Second Division or go on loan till he is ready but Carvalho and Dier both followed that route and if/when he does break into the first team United can expect a decent return to any sell on clauses included.

Good luck to him and loved watching him last year.

Good move.

I know folk are saying "another season at Tannadice" but surely the boy will hone his skills better in a league more suited to his attributes?

Good move.

I know folk are saying "another season at Tannadice" but surely the boy will hone his skills better in a league more suited to his attributes?

I'm sure the Dundee fans will be aghast at missing out on Thomson & McPake taking turns at booting him next season.

I'm sure the Dundee fans will be aghast at missing out on Thomson & McPake taking turns at booting him next season.

Not at all, I'm glad he's moving abroad so he can get away from his boozy mates such as Euan Spark.

I think it's a much better deal for United than it is for Gauld. He looks set to be on a slippery slope at United with him out partying on a weekly basis, moving to Portugal may sort that out but at 18 is moving to an exotic location a wise move? Particularly if his family don't go with him? He'll need someone strong willed to look after him over there. Don't think he's worth that money so it's an excellent deal for United who can splash some cash and probably entice their wanted targets ahead of the other team's they'll be competing for players against in the league.

Away and shite.

And it's Lisbon, not Timbuktu.

It's the correct thing for him to do IMO. The coaching and guidance he'll receive from a club like Sporting will be invaluable. All young Scots should move abroad if the opportunity arises.

is only good for them if they get games if they don't it could hold back there progress.

is only good for them if they get games if they don't it could hold back there progress.

If he isn't getting games initially which will most likely be the case he will get games for the B side which play in the second division and will still be of a good standard whilst still training with the first team.

He has been struggling to get a game for United the last few months so cant expect to be playing in a team full of top internationalists.

"You Arabs" were valuing him at £10 million.

He'll be worth that one day. I doubt there were too many suggesting we could get £10m for a barely 18 year old playing in Scotland.

Some saying he'll be the easiest to replace? Well, in that position maybe, but not for what he offered. In our golden spell before christmas Gauld was at the heart of it all.

I only wish we'd been able to keep this team together for one more season :(

10M or 15M holy shit!! United fans in over valuing a player shocker!!!! Lolz

Nobody has said he's worth £10-15 million, or that we'd get that amount for him.

Some have said that down the line, if he fulfils his potential, he might be worth that much, especially considering the silly money that goes around in the bigger leagues these days.

Archived