St Johnstone European Tour 14/15

Steve McQueen

Imagine things were going exactly to plan for the first hour or so, we looked comfortable and had pinched a goal but we couldn't really step it up when we brought the extra attacking players on and didn't trouble their goalkeeper enough. Can be happy enough with how we played generally tonight but last week did for us, combined with gifting them two of their three goals.

Our clubs just need to keep working away in European games to try and get this coefficient up as producing six good performances in succession is a big ask of teams.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I want to have a right go at Miller for one of the most idiotic decisions I've ever seen, the real damage was done in the first leg. That goal didn't really have much bearing on things as we still needed to score twice to get through.

Far better though, and a few promising signs ahead of the season. Still need to find someone to score though, regardless of whether May leaves or not, players like Wotherspoon, Croft and O'Halloran really need to be getting over 5 goals a season for us

Poor header from Miller at the equalizer, but for me Tam Scobbie was the main culprit. The scorer was fully in Tam's eye line yet he decided to walk flatfooted instead of staying on his toes.

Much improved performance after the home leg though. Spartak were nowhere near the side we saw last week.

Unfortunately it looks like we're in for another season of hoof ball though. The boys look really good on the deck, yet persist with punt after punt. It's not as if we're much cop in the air either.

Oh well.

I think we should have moved McKay to RB when Croft came on. They tend to work well together, whereas Miller doesn't offer the same link up play.

TBH I think Miller isn't the answer at RB at all.

Millers a good enough RB for the Premiership, he suffers from Irvineitis with stupid mistakes and positional errors, but I'd be happy with him being first choice over the course of a league season

I don't really get having pride in defeat against a side who we've shown to be very beatable tonight.

Overall I am just annoyed that as a club we haven't given ourselves the best opportunity to make the play offs, thanks to our shambolic summer. I doubt that we will be back for a while unless there is a massive change in attitude at the top of the club.

I've seen saints play 5 different teams in Europe since 2012, considering I was a regular attendee from 2006 I didn't think i would ever see us back in Europe.

I don't think we will do it any time soon, but I fucking hope I'm wrong

3 seasons in a row we have been in Europe. 3. That is outstanding for our wee club. Of course, we will all be spewing if Spartak draw Inter/Lyon or any other massive European club because it will always be a question of "what if?"

Yeah I'm disappointed to go out, but I'm pleased we haven't been a total disgrace - unlike Celtic (and Motherwell, tbh) who have the resources to do far, far better.

My main concern is the upcoming season and debacle that has surrounded pre-season. We are resigned to losing May - the top scorer and fans favourite - we haven't signed anyone of note and we aren't building on what was a glorious season before. Disappointing stuff.

We've had European trips the last 3 seasons. I don't think we'll be having a forth one next summer.

Archived