St Johnstone European Tour 14/15

Steve McQueen

That's an amateur error mate. I make sure to never book anything during the dates we're in Europe.

I know, man. Disaster.

From a personal point of view, I'm really hoping that we are drawn against a team from Israel or something.. and my trip coincides with the away leg. I know it's not what Saints supporters would want, but I'm too self-centred to wish for a better tie.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I know, man. Disaster.

From a personal point of view, I'm really hoping that we are drawn against a team from Israel or something.. and my trip coincides with the away leg. I know it's not what Saints supporters would want, but I'm too self-centred to wish for a better tie.

So, I didn't get what I want.. as I expected. :( That's a nice draw though and hopefully the away leg is at least a possibility for me.

That's the 6th time in a row we're away in the first leg. We've only been drawn at home first twice come to think of it.

Lets get our home record back on track this year.

Difficult.

Not impossible.

Finsihed 4th last year in the Swiss league, a very winnable tie in my eyes, albeit once again they'll be favourites.

Difficult tie, but winnable.

Beautiful wee city. I think I'll try and get tickets for it.

Edited to add:

Easyjet from Edinburgh to Basel will be your best bet for a cheap, direct flight. Alternative would be changing in London and going to Zurich. Both are around an hour from Luzern.

You could also go from Edinburgh to Geneva, but the train journey from Geneva to Luzern will take longer than the flight and probably cost you more.

swissporarena1.jpg

Belter of a stadium as well, love the look of that. I'll be doing my utmost to go, my dearest father has already agreed to it provisionally and he's not even in Scotland right now11

Ok so I've looked into the Edinburgh flights for myself, but may as well put up what I've found on here. All of this is worked out from flying out on the Wednesday and returning on the Friday, I've not even began to look into accommodation, albeit I'm sure there are cheapish hotels in Lucerne.

Flying to Zurich is a 1 stop flight, £289 return with BA. Train from Zurich would cost £34 return, so £323 all together.

Flying to Basel is direct, £244 return with Easyjet. Train would cost £48 return, so £292 all together.

Now I've probably worked this out wrong, or I've missed some massive element and my costs are way off, but it looks that it's going to be about £300 a person, for travel. Considering the prices paid for Norway, this is looking a cheap trip.

EDIT - I should also have said, that's the easiest ways to get there, no faffing about or anything. Of course there will always be cheaper options, but they'll probably involve travelling to China and then fly around the moon just to save £100 or so quid.

What are the dates for it?

With regards to hotels, Luzern is probably the most "Touristy" city in Switzerland, and in the middle of summer will be hoaching. Not really sure what the going rate is for hotels there, but I would look into quickly. Should be quite a few hostels in and around Luzern too, which would probably be much cheaper, but again availability at that time of year might not be great.

17th of July would work for me. I'm in Scotland the week before and back here on the Saturday.

Only seen them a couple of times last season, one was a 4-2 away loss to Aarau, and the other was a 3-2 home win against the same side. They pass the ball about quite well, but looked very dodgy from set pieces. The have a Bulgarian player Rangelov who was their star man last season. Don't know much about the rest of the team.

There was a Scottish boy who posted on here who lives in Luzern and follows them. Spoke to him a couple of times when I was about to move over here but I have absolutely no idea what his name was now.

Archived