St Johnstone European Tour 14/15

Steve McQueen

He was poor defensively, and looked quite nervous on the ball to me. He was stifled quite well too, and was allowed to run with the ball but was shadowed into a blind alley. I thought Croft was better once he came on, as hes smarter both on the ball and off it.

O'Halloran is a big prospect, but hes still quite naive, he'll learn though.

He was nowhere near being our best player last night though, ridiculous statement

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He didnt do very much though, he ran past a few then found he was surrounded a few times, and when he did break free he wasted the chance by sclaffing a shot instead of passing. He played okay, but he wasn't as dangerous as he can be and was reminiscent of his performance against York in that he was anonymous for parts. I'd be surprised if he started next week simply because Croft looked better defensively and also created the better chances, although I wouldnt be disappointed if he did start.

I hope people aren't thinking I've something against him by the way. I love him, the way he can just drift past players is superb, and the pace he has is something we've sought after for years now. If he could improve his awareness of the game he'd easily become a key player, and its something I think he'll have achieved come the end of this season. He wasn't at his best last night though, and wasnt nearly our best player.

Don't get me wrong. I thought Croft was superb. I think it's a good position to be in anyway that of the 3 last night I'd be happy with any pairing. While some are disgruntled and Understandbly so that we haven't reinvested, I feel our squad is more than capable.

On an aside, what's the news on Muzz? When's he back?

Presumably the point in the game where Croft was nutmegged and left for dead leading to the pull back which saw Luzern miss an absolute sitter just minutes from the end was not part of his better defensive display? He wasn't particularly impressive when failing to release May when we had a terrific opportunity to break either, delaying the pass and putting us under instant pressure again.

Ridiculous to say he was much better than O'Halloran.

The Saints always seem to show up for the big games, congrats and good luck in the next round if you win that one then who knows - would be great to have a team in the group stages and I think you lot are best suited always seem to give us a hard game at McDiarmid Park and seem to be the team who could set it up for a European Campaign!

Presumably the point in the game where Croft was nutmegged and left for dead leading to the pull back which saw Luzern miss an absolute sitter just minutes from the end was not part of his better defensive display? He wasn't particularly impressive when failing to release May when we had a terrific opportunity to break either, delaying the pass and putting us under instant pressure again.

Ridiculous to say he was much better than O'Halloran.

Croft offered far more protection to Miller once he was on, one bit of brilliance doesn't detract from that, especially since O'Halloran was beaten all but once when trying to defend around his own box.

And Croft and O'Halloran both passed up good chances by not releasing a pass at the right time, but Croft also set up Caddis for the best chance of the game.

Croft put in the better performance last night in my mind anyway, despite only being on the park for a fraction of the time. O'Halloran is better going forward than Croft, but neither the game nor our set up was suited towards that so he was being wasted. Croft is a better option when we're on the back foot, last night proved that.

Someone on WAP saying the Daily Record have given Scott Brown a five out of ten rating for last night :lol: Have to assume they've either never watched football before, or they weren't actually there

Fair enough Random, I'm probably in a minority of Saints fans that has yet to be totally convinced by Croft. That said having Wotherspoon, O'Halloran and Croft as wide options can't be bad. I just felt last night that O'Halloran's touch and ability to take and run with the ball helped to relieve the considerable pressure we were under for a lot of the game. Granted it was not overly creative but it helped just to have the ball for a bit.

As for the Daily Record; surely anyone called Scott Brown is guaranteed at least nine out of ten in that paper?

Someone on WAP saying the Daily Record have given Scott Brown a five out of ten rating for last night :lol: Have to assume they've either never watched football before, or they weren't actually there

Probably both tbh.

Fair enough Random, I'm probably in a minority of Saints fans that has yet to be totally convinced by Croft. That said having Wotherspoon, O'Halloran and Croft as wide options can't be bad. I just felt last night that O'Halloran's touch and ability to take and run with the ball helped to relieve the considerable pressure we were under for a lot of the game. Granted it was not overly creative but it helped just to have the ball for a bit.

In the Croft v O'Halloran debate I'm firmly in the O'Halloran corner. He's quicker, he's more dangerous, he's more exciting, and his ability to beat men at pace is something we've not had in years. Last night I just thought he was stunted in what he could do going forward, and he's not yet learned the defensive side of things when he's actually being directly attacked, thats the only thing Croft has the edge on him in. And last night I though Croft was more effective simply because he was better at protecting Miller while also offering an attacking outlet

I just felt in terms of going forward, he looked the most likely and most dangerous we had, last night.

He did look the most likely, and there was always a buzz when he had the ball. But you have to judge it by end product and there was little of that.

He did look the most likely, and there was always a buzz when he had the ball. But you have to judge it by end product and there was little of that.

Yeah happy enough with that. Although could you say any of Saints last night had that?

Not criticising because I felt we executed the gameplay perfectly. Just an observation.

Luzern fans seem to be criticising their manager for the selection, saying that pretty much cost them the game. I may have misread something in the translation though.

I did wonder why Schneuwly never started to be honest, he's clearly a tremendous striker

Yeah he was causing us all sorts of problems, seemed to find space nobody else could, was delighted when he went off.

Also anyone else noticed the quote on the unofficial Twitter? Tam Scobbie talking about the goalkeeper and his attempts to put him off...

TS: "The goalkeeper (Zibung) kept saying 'It's me and you'. I was thinking 'Fair enough, I wouldn't expect anyone else to be there'."

Luzern fans seem to be criticising their manager for the selection, saying that pretty much cost them the game. I may have misread something in the translation though.

I did wonder why Schneuwly never started to be honest, he's clearly a tremendous striker

According to the match report on the Luzern website that was tweeted out, he didn't start with 4 of their usual team due a big game against Basel this weekend. He obviously underestimated us after the first leg. Titter titter.

Archived