St Johnstone European Tour 14/15

Steve McQueen

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had a b*****d of a draw so far (Riga aside).

If, somehow, we get past Real you ken fine we'll get Inter Milan.

Depends what way you look at it. Better to go out to a Real Sociedad than that shower of shit that beat us last year.

Last night was unbelievable. Never seen scenes like that at Mcdiarmid. When big Tam sent us through, I ended up crowd surfing down the rows. Amazing stuff. Ended the night in a and e after a laceration of the finger in loft. Wild.

Lurzern fans are a sound bunch, great away support and very friendly. I'm a very happy and sore man.

While there are plenty of next to impossible opponents in that play-off round, there are also quite a few that are beatable. The likes of Rapid Vienna, Zurich, Slovan Liberec etc are good teams, but you'd still give Saints or Aberdeen a 25-30% chance of beating them.

Zürich would be shite as far as being a fan goes. The city is over expensive and the Letzigrund is a pish place to watch a game. Would give you a decent shout at getting through mind you.

We absolutely Minsk'd that mob. It feels good.

Surprised that so many people are surprised that Scobbie stepped up, I'd have him down as one of our technically better player and as such I'd expect him to take one. Our penalties were great I was really impressed and Mannus was close to a few of theirs, we've really come on.

As has been said their fans were great and I thought ours were too, good night all round.

I'm putting off panicking about the big boys we could get in the play off round until we're actually in it. There are far too many echoes of last season to feel confident about getting through.

We've beaten one of the bigger names in the early rounds of the competition, taken their seeding and now face a much smaller side who will be playing their home leg in a ground miles away from their actual ground and many expect us to beat them as thy're easier than Luzern despite them being rated above us in the UEFA rankings. Hmmmm.

Spartak Trnava may not be the side they once were but they're obviously no mugs and compete in Europe regularly. We're also at home in the first leg for the first time since 1971 so it's a bit of an unknown situation for us.

All in all it's just another challenge for Tommy to overcome and he's doing pretty damned well at overcoming them. Hopefully this'll be another of them.

Still, the worst of the lot would be either Ukranian team. f**k going to Karkhiv with all the trouble that's going on at the moment.

Surely UEFA would force them to play their home tie outside of (the East of) Ukraine, which would be an advantage to their opponent.

Still to be confirmed but likely Zlate Moravce, 50 miles east of Trnava. Which will make it harder to get to.

One option is to fly into Brno/Vienna and get a bus (there are no connections to Nitra, which is your closest big town to Moravce, from Bratislava IIRC). Don't bother with a train as they are still pretty poor in Slovakia, but the buses are very comfortable and a higher standard than our Megabuses. Best site to book would be http://www.studentagency.eu/, which I use quite often. Don't know if this is the best route but certainly a thought.

I'd actually forgotten about TW doing his best Clough impression by commanding the fans back to the stands, shows quite how high in regard he's held that they actually did run back quite quickly after he'd told them too.

Was a bit disappointed we went deeper despite looking quite dangerous, moving May back robbed us completely of any attacking threat as MacLean ended up isolated. Croft made a difference coming on, and should start next week ahead of an out of sorts O'Halloran.

I've no idea what sort of side we'll be up against, but thats half the fun. I would like to try and get a win and a clean sheet, and preferably a victory by two or more goals. Although I hope for that every time. First half will likely be a bit cagey, but knowing TW he'll likely have us fly out the traps and try and frighten the c***s early on. Having May even fitter will be huge, and hopefully we have Ando back aswell

I appreciate I only go to a dozen or so games a season but I genuinely felt that O'Halloran was more effective than Wotherspoon last night.

I'd agree with that. Always looks composed on the ball and is very hard to dispossess. Spoony had one of his quieter games, although I'd still start him next week. Happy to trust the manager in his selection though.

Archived