St Johnstone European Tour 14/15

Steve McQueen

Do you know who you are playing yet?

Edit - Just seen it

We're playing Slovakian side 'Spartak Trnava'. We are at home first, as we have taken Lucerne's 'seeded' status. Trnava are an unseeded team. Hopefully they will provide less of a challenge than Lucerne, although we got eliminated by Minsk last year who were significantly poorer than Rosenborg.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd sort of game. Luzern were better going forward, and seemed content to leave the defenders to defend while the front four all rotated and played off each other, the second half particularly they looked as good as anyone I've seen in the flesh. Certainly better going forward than Rosenborg. They did leave gaps that we exploited though. They were far better in the second half, once they realised Gary Miller was our weak link. May is ridiculously good though, he's not fit, yet numerous times in that match he made a very good backline look completely clueless, he's going to be terrifying this season I think.

No idea why we got a penalty, so hope to see that again, May was May though. Their goal was a fucking mess, total stramash before a boot gets swung and it somehow ends up in the net.

The ref was hopeless, Croft leaves a bit of a niggle on Luzern player. Ref plays on. Luzern player gets to feet, runs up to Croft and bumps him with his chest. Ref gives Luzern free kick and books Croft :huh:

I despise penalties, with all my heart, but it felt like something we had to go through, something we needed to erase that Minsk result from our mind, as it always there niggling away. Retribution is the only word I can think of but I'm sure theres a better one.

I'm completely fucking knackered, and would like to apologise to the family sitting next to me for the sheer amount of sweat coming from me, and for the filth coming out my mouth, they mother did talk to me after a while though, so I suppose I can't have been that bad.

We can't afford to lose the "easy" tie next like we did last year, no slip ups please. I'm almost collapsing, so you wont get anything else from me. Night night, and what a special team we're watching

Do you know who you are playing yet?

Edit - Just seen it. Anyone know anything about this Trnava?

I know nothing of them, but having looked them up, they've actually got quite a history. Bit of a powerhouse in Czechslovak football mid 1960s to mid 1970s, even reached European Cup QFs thrice (SFs once).

Not hitting those heights nowadays but qualified for UC/EL in 6 of last 9 seasons.

Last season went right from QR1 to QR4.

We're playing Slovakian side 'Spartak Trnava'. We are at home first, as we have taken Lucerne's 'seeded' status. Trnava are an unseeded team. Hopefully they will provide less of a challenge than Lucerne, although we got eliminated by Minsk last year who were significantly poorer than Rosenborg.

I know nothing of them, but having looked them up, they've actually got quite a history. Bit of a powerhouse in Czechslovak football mid 1960s to mid 1970s, even reached European Cup QFs thrice (SFs once).

Not hitting those heights nowadays but qualified for UC/EL in 6 of last 9 seasons.

Last season went right from QR1 to QR4.

Thanks. Hopefully you will get past them

We're at home simply because of the draw TRS, not because of the seeding.

Tonight's joy is now tinged with sadness as I lie in bed and listen to Sam Parkin on Talksport...honest...announcing he's hung up his boots. He's talked of his 3 enjoyable years in Scotland, especially being at Saints thanks to the Chelsea connection of Jody and Doobs, plus his year at St Mirren who are of course based in Glasgow. Oops! Fairwell Sam. It wasn't really a blast.

In fact I've something more to add. Chris Millar is a very beautiful man, he's been utterly brilliant for a while now, but doesn't seem to get the plaudits he should

Well done Saints, superb result knocking Lucerne with 10 times your budget out the competition.

A great result for the coefficient and hopefully you will get through the next round as well.

Winning on penalties was the karma that you deserved to be on the right end of after Minsk last year. Glorious stuff!

Big praise to young Caddis for taking and scoring a penalty and Tam Scobbie for taking the decider after not playing for God knows how long. Nerves of steel!

Maybe in case of Caddis but he's a penalty taker. Have seen him take them for the U20s and although it's clearly a totally different situation, it's one he's very natural in. Had no doubt he'd be taking one. Huge credit Scobbie though, who didn't have to put his hand up. Won't be forgotten. Mackay and MacLean made sure they weren't having their ones saved this year and May's was something else, nearly burst the roof of the net!

Especially in the second half, FC Luzern were pretty much controlling the game but the switch of Caddis for Wotherspoon and slight change of shape saw us probably shade extra-time but maybe they were content to take the penalties knowing our record! They hit five decent kicks but Mannus manages to get to one of them.

Tonight was a huge result for us against a top side and their fans were outstanding. Didn't stop signing for the whole time they were in the stadium.

In fact I've something more to add. Chris Millar is a very beautiful man, he's been utterly brilliant for a while now, but doesn't seem to get the plaudits he should

He was absolutely dead on his feet tonight what a shift . Best moment was after a tackle near the end, he wanted to stay down , Wright literally picked him up like a drooned cat and plomped him on his feet, wee pat on the bum and off he went ha ha !!!!

And he also had 2 shots on goal ........one was even close!

He was absolutely dead on his feet tonight what a shift . Best moment was after a tackle near the end, he wanted to stay down , Wright literally picked him up like a drooned cat and plomped him on his feet, wee pat on the bum and off he went ha ha !!!!

And he also had 2 shots on goal ........one was even close!

Aye from about 20 yards aswell! :lol: Christ he was even taking men on, beat about four men from inside his half and somehow won a free kick. He's an absolute hero that man

If the first leg was anything like that, we should be out. They were very, very impressive. Controlled the majority of the game and we created very little. Set pieces were really all I can remember us having in the 90.

Croft changed it though, he was sensational. We missed two glorious chances deep into the 2nd extra period. Firstly Caddis managed to miss from 6 yards after majestic work from 'Fat Baldy Croft', then May beat the entire Luzern team, picked out the one player you simply don't want on the edge of the box, Chris Millar. Terrible effort. Though he was outstanding again, and clearly dying at that stage.

Pens are always a lottery, but you could see what it meant to exorcise Minsk. Fantastic stuff from Alan and the 5.

I'm now going to single out Scott Brown, you are my new favourite. You are awesome, I love you :wub:

The only downer was the idiots who ran onto the pitch at the end. Total clowns, all 200(ish) of you.

Finally, enormous credit to the Luzern fans. That's easily the most impressive 'support' of your team I have ever seen. You'll never see anything like that in Scotland.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that we are still far too naive in the European arena. They had the ref giving everything they wanted. We need to wise up.

come on lucerne, do these fuds

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.. How many time do you have to back a loser before you realise you are a waste of oxygen.. As I cant be arsed looking, please imagine there is a picture with the words MASSIVE AND CATASTROPHIC FAIL!!!! ;)

Bloody loved that. Not a great game by a long shot and felt it was only a matter of time before Luzern grabbed that's all important goal but St Johnstone played with so much heart. Every player put in a tremendous shift and they could have stole it towards the end of extra time.

Well done. Enjoy it.

On a side note the away fans were fantastic.

Archived