Queens Park 2014/2015 Season Thread

Robertson had certainly been a more consistent performer over the season before he left, although he was playing in a much better team. That said, I don't think anyone expected him to go straight into the United first team.

Cheers. To be fair his inclusion would have been helped by the fact that we had lost Douglas and didn't really have any cover in that position. Turned out great in the end though - can't recall watching such notable improvement in a player within just one season.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't take this as gospel, so plenty of caveats here! The story goes that when you took Douglas we asked for compensation under UEFA rules, but ALLEGEDLY you refused to pay up on the grounds that UEFA's rules only applied to professional clubs. IF true then that reflects very badly on the Arabs, as a more generous club would have looked at the spirit of the law rather than the letter of it. Fortunately for Queen's not every club takes that view, and I also understand that some sort of compromise was reached when Connolly and Robertson went last year.

According to today's Metro, DU are in talks with us about compensation for Spittal - why not just bite the bullet and simply give us what UEFA's rules stipulate, because if you add Paton to the mix then you've not done too badly out of us in recent years, have you? It's not as if the money goes to any shareholders or board members as we're not run that way, and every penny you recycle our way helps to produce the talent of the future.

I mind there being a bit of a to-do last year when Robertson and Connelly went to United. Hopefully if Spittal goes to you it'll be handled a bit better.

Obviously a shame from a QP point of view, but can't stop the boy from progressing. He had a great start to last season but was dragged down by the dross as the year went on. I can't imagine he'd have the same inpact at United as Roberston has, but certainly a prospect.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-united/dundee-united-in-row-with-queen-s-park-over-youth-signings-compensation-1.94601

I don’t know the ins and outs of what we’re entitled to in terms of compensation, but if we’re kicking up a fuss over a club not giving us money as a good will gesture because our ‘amateur’ status means the ‘buying’ club doesn’t have to then I feel we shouldn’t be moaning. If we want the money then stop being an amateur club. I’d imagine the two-year deals that some of our younger players are apparently on (possibly Spittal being one of them) is a loophole we’re using to ensure we get something in return. Like I said, I don’t know the ins and outs, but it would be nice to if anyone does know.

I don’t know the ins and outs of what we’re entitled to in terms of compensation, but if we’re kicking up a fuss over a club not giving us money as a good will gesture because our ‘amateur’ status means the ‘buying’ club doesn’t have to then I feel we shouldn’t be moaning. If we want the money then stop being an amateur club.

Basically this.

As much as i would love every club that signs one of our players to give us something, if they don't need to, we really can't moan.

The fact that our players are amateur shouldn't make a difference when it comes to compensation. Our youth system is absolutely superb, but it costs a fortune to run it.

Remember that we're not talking about negotiating a transfer fee, just what has been agreed in football to compensate clubs who were previously stiffed by bigger clubs. Unfortunately there is a loophole in Scotland which precludes the rules being applied to amateur players. Clubs can only be encouraged to give us something but, as United did with Douglas and Connelly, they can refuse. Thomson is indeed a tosser, which won't be news to anyone in Scottish football. It was amusing to read of his dismay when Barry Douglas moved to Poland with United getting nothing.

This loophole is specifically a Scottish one. If a QP player goes to a club outside Scotland, the rules kick in and we get the compensation. Apparently, QP have tried to get the loophole closed but (what a surprise!) the other Scottish clubs won't hear of it.

Smaller clubs have young players on pro contracts at a nominal figure (I did hear of one club who pay £1 a week) so that they don't get stiffed.

So there are 42 League clubs but because one rule doesn't suit QP they tried to get it changed ? Maybe Queen's should change to suit the "Professional" league they are in rather than the other way around.

Plus if the youth system is so superb why are Queen's apparently trying to sign all manner of Junior players ?

Looks like the 21st Century has finally caught up with Queen's and they'll have to change or die.

So there are 42 League clubs but because one rule doesn't suit QP they tried to get it changed ? Maybe Queen's should change to suit the "Professional" league they are in rather than the other way around.

Plus if the youth system is so superb why are Queen's apparently trying to sign all manner of Junior players ?

Looks like the 21st Century has finally caught up with Queen's and they'll have to change or die.

Shut it ya dick.

A very ill informed post. Where does it say a club has to be professional to play in the senior leagues ?

So if queen's Park turned professional and paid all our U-19 players £1 a week to get round this stupid rule (which only applies in Scotland ffs!), that would make it alright would it? As I said in my initial post, are Dundee Utd big enough to appreciate the spirit behind the law, rather than use a loophole to squirm out of their moral responsibility as you would more likely expect from a small part-time outfit.

As Hampden Diehard reminded me, I nearly choked on my morning cornflakes the day I read that Thomson was upset about losing Barry Douglas for nothing - the sweet scent of irony soon dampened down the squalid stench of hypocracy though.

I've never seen the boy play but going by the wingers at both Dundee clubs, the lad is likely to have a better chance of first team football at Dundee.

Archived