Top 5 War Films Revisited

chomp my root

Was going to bump the war films one after watching channel 5's top war films but it seems to have vanished. Not sure I agree with it but this was the list voted for.

5. Dambusters

4. Saving Private Ryan

3. Zulu

2. A Bridge To Far

1. The Great Escape

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saving Private Ryan is the greatest war film ever made. No other film comes close to it. It is quite simply a masterpiece.

5. The Deer Hunter.

I had a rant about this in the last war film thread, I really don't rate it at all, I thought it was self indulgent crap. The wedding scene went on far too long, it was irrelevant and all the scene setting could have been done a lot quicker (and less painfully). Were the VC's really that dippit that they fell for the "naw, gies more bullets, it'll be even more fun" antics of our heroes ? Just over hyped bollocks playing to American navel gazers. Grrrrr :guns:guns:guns

Apart from that, I loved it :lol:

Mine would have to be

1. The Cruel Sea - My top for a long while now, at the time it was made the bit where they depth charged the 'chaps' in the water was extremely contentious.

2. Das Boot - Head and shoulders above every other submarine film

3. Max Manus, Man of War - Norwegian resistance film, saw it for a couple of quid in Tesco and took a chance. Really very good.

4. We Were Soldiers - For me the best of the 'Nam films,

5. 9th Company - Russian version of Full Metal Jacket basically but in Afghan and with a burd getting pummelled by whole platoon for some reason.

Numbers 1 and 2 will most likely always be in my top 5 war films, the other 3 will vary from time to time. Heartbreak Ridge nearly made it but couldn't decide which one to drop. The Russians have been turning out some good war stuff lately if you can handle the subtitles.

Archived