The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

I fully understand why you'd see it this way at the moment. But I'd advise caution and taking a step back to think.

A short run of form is not the same as being the right guy for 2-3 years.

Not disputing the job he's done at all, just talking about what the plan is medium term.

It's possible to think he's done a great job and think he's not the right guy.

There's only so long we'll get away with playing the way we are.

4 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

There's only so long we'll get away with playing the way we are.

I've not seen any of his games, apart from about twenty minutes of the one against us. So, can't comment on the performances beyond what other people say. And even my Aberdeen mates reckon it's been seat of the pants stuff.

However, if you look at what he inherited, turning that into a team that can win six games running is very impressive.

But I just think all clubs should be working off an actual plan. Where do we want to be in five years? How does this guy get us there?

I'll be saying the same if Naismith wins every game from now to the end of the season with Hearts. It's not about the last few weeks, it's about the next five years.

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I've not seen any of his games, apart from about twenty minutes of the one against us. So, can't comment on the performances beyond what other people say. And even my Aberdeen mates reckon it's been seat of the pants stuff.

However, if you look at what he inherited, turning that into a team that can win six games running is very impressive.

But I just think all clubs should be working off an actual plan. Where do we want to be in five years? How does this guy get us there?

I'll be saying the same if Naismith wins every game from now to the end of the season with Hearts. It's not about the last few weeks, it's about the next five years.

I speak to an ex Aberdeen player fairly regularly. He looked at the squads at the start of the season and said we should be finishing third, comfortably. I think Robson inherited a very good squad, Goodwin just didn't have a clue how to use it. Robson also got use of two defenders and a goalie that were better than what Jim had.

There's only so long you can base your game on coming out fast and winning second balls.

8 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I fully understand why you'd see it this way at the moment. But I'd advise caution and taking a step back to think.

A short run of form is not the same as being the right guy for 2-3 years.

Not disputing the job he's done at all, just talking about what the plan is medium term.

It's possible to think he's done a great job and think he's not the right guy.

I agree, we should look at who else is available and what’s best long term.

However, by winning 7 from 9, with the only losses away to Celtic and vs St Mirren with 10 men for 83 minutes, it makes it difficult to argue that he’s not the best candidate to manage this team.

He’s shown that he can lift a squad bereft of confidence, set up a solid defence, get the most out of the squad he has and can adapt his team to find ways to win different types of games.

He’s not an experienced manager but he’s coached youth teams for years and worked with the first team under McInnes. He also has good recruitment and coaching teams which he can rely on.

5 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

There's only so long you can base your game on coming out fast and winning second balls.

This is actually a long-running conversation I've been having with a mate.

What was the last non-OF team to be successful (actually successful, not just patronised) while playing good football?

I honestly can't think of one. Mowbray's Hibs were a good side, but never finished higher than fourth, then when he left they won a cup but finished about sixth.

Is it really maybe just about winning a midfield battle and having a good back four? If so, nothing's really changed since Levein (mark 1).

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

This is actually a long-running conversation I've been having with a mate.

What was the last non-OF team to be successful (actually successful, not just patronised) while playing good football?

I honestly can't think of one. Mowbray's Hibs were a good side, but never finished higher than fourth, then when he left they won a cup but finished about sixth.

Is it really maybe just about winning a midfield battle and having a good back four? If so, nothing's really changed since Levein (mark 1).

Aberdeen 2016-17

5 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I agree, we should look at who else is available and what’s best long term.

However, by winning 7 from 9, with the only losses away to Celtic and vs St Mirren with 10 men for 83 minutes, it makes it difficult to argue that he’s not the best candidate to manage this team.

He’s shown that he can lift a squad bereft of confidence, set up a solid defence, get the most out of the squad he has and can adapt his team to find ways to win different types of games.

He’s not an experienced manager but he’s coached youth teams for years and worked with the first team under McInnes. He also has good recruitment and coaching teams which he can rely on.

I disagree with you here.

He's done a fantastic job. I'm not arguing that for a second.

But I just disagree with you that that necessarily buys him the full-time gig.

Anyway, we'll see, I suppose.

8 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

He absolutely deserves the job - the fact he hast managed at a smaller team doesnt really matter - as you say, he has been coaching for years and has clearly dealt with the step up well.

If Aberdeen take 3rd (now looking likely) and the £millions that come with it, it would be bonkers if he wasnt given the shot for next season.

What a breath of fresh air he has been over Goodwin.

If i were an Aberdeen fan I'd be hesitant to want Robson permanently, he's done a decent job with a squad that had clearly downed tools but how many wins would he have if Duk hadn't hit a ridiculously good bit of form?

12 minutes ago, Empty It said:

If i were an Aberdeen fan I'd be hesitant to want Robson permanently, he's done a decent job with a squad that had clearly downed tools but how many wins would he have if Duk hadn't hit a ridiculously good bit of form?

I think he’s gone with a fairly tried and tested formula in Scottish football of be solid, combative in midfield then let some quality in the forward areas take moments when they come. 

If he completes the job of 3rd then he should absolutely get it, but there’s a lot we don’t know about Barry robson. We don’t know how he recruits, we don’t know if the system/tactics are based on necessity or whether that’s his chosen philosophy, and we don’t know how he’ll handle a difficult period. The hearts game is the only one that has been a bit of a wow moment in terms of performance, everything else has been functional or pragmatic. 

saying all that, I’ve been absolutely desperate for us to be hard to beat for a long time now and he’s brought that back. 

Credit has to go to Robson for the recent run of results. It’s doing him a disservice to say he has been lucky that Duk is on a run of good form. 

If they get a result next week against Sevco, something that recent Aberdeen managers have struggled with.

It is extremely difficult for the Aberdeen board not to give him the gig at the end of the season…especially if 3rd spot is in the bag. 

21 minutes ago, Empty It said:

That's a wee bit like asking if Argentina would have won the World Cup if Messi hadn't been born in that country. 

40 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

That's a wee bit like asking if Argentina would have won the World Cup if Messi hadn't been born in that country. 

They would probably have still been in with a shout if Messi had been born in Scotland.....