The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 hours ago, tarapoa said:

According to the two lady pundits on Sportscene, having VAR and the onside goal being ruled as a goal would have "spoiled a great occasion".

If the flag had stayed down the defence wouldn't have stopped playing on hearing the whistle seconds before the ball was played across the box. Therefore Clarkson's pass might never have made it to the back post, while the goalkeeper would also have been playing to the whistle so even if the pass did get beyond the defence he might have shut down Miovski's angle for the shot and saved it.

Aberdeen didn't have a goal disallowed last night.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

If the flag had stayed down the defence wouldn't have stopped playing on hearing the whistle seconds before the ball was played across the box. Therefore Clarkson's pass might never have made it to the back post, while the goalkeeper would also have been playing to the whistle so even if the pass did get beyond the defence he might have shut down Miovski's angle for the shot and saved it.

Aberdeen didn't have a goal disallowed last night.

This is internet semantics of the highest order. 

45 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

A lot of noise and a lot of predictable ‘sack everyone’ and ‘scrap it all and start again’ type takes after last night. 

I think people get carried away and I don’t think we’re anywhere near that. The ‘structure’ of the football department is still very young and there’s nothing to suggest it’s totally broken. 

If I was to assess the key individuals, my unqualified take would be:

Cormack - a guy with good intentions, wants the best for the club and has a vision for where he wants it to be. However, I don’t think he knows how to implement the day to day running of the football side. Also his ego seems to get in the way. I’ve criticised a lot of his public statements and it’s always with an underlying issue that I feel his ego is in the way. I hope it doesn’t prevent him from delegating more football decisions to someone more qualified. Verdict - stay but step back

Gunn - this is the position who should be telling Dave how to run the football department. With the best will in the world I can’t see how this is the case. Let’s be honest, if gunn left tomorrow is any other premiership club asking for his services? Verdict - replace

Mowbray - couldn’t tell you what he looks like but he’s done enough to have a few more windows on the recruitment front. Some poor ones but we’ve unearthed talent we wouldn’t otherwise have a few years ago. This isn’t an overnight process and I’m comfortable with what it’s produced. Verdict - stay

Goodwin - I think I’ve made my stance on this guy pretty clear. He doesn’t have it, the biggest shock since he came in is how tactically inept he is. I wasn’t expecting wonders but I thought he’d make us a solid outfit but he’s totally out of his depth and has no answers. 

- we’ve tried 4 at the back, then 3, then back to 4

- we went gung ho at ibrox then barely left our 6 yard line at home to Celtic, and he was seemingly proud of both efforts 

- we’ve tried duk, miovski and Ramirez in the same team with the latter playing as a 10. 

I could go on but all examples that this guy has no answers. 

verdict - would’ve had him out weeks ago but if he’s not gone by midday, we riot. 

The squad 

Not as bad as some would have you believe. Middle to front this is a top 6 side pretty comfortably I’d say, undermined by the criminal mismanagement of the back line. Roos is a serviceable keeper at this level. 

The squad is imbalances but it’s a good age with a decent amount of young talent in there with resale value. However, it lacks character and when an ‘ok’ team lacks character it doesn’t take much to go into a tailspin like we’re seeing now. 

I never thought we were brilliant when we were 3rd pre World Cup and I don’t think the team is horrendous now. 

verdict - keep building and for the love of god sign a defence

conclusion - sorry for the rambling post but I don’t think everything is broken.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the funding structure at AFC, Cormack's role isn't negotiable?

If he doesn’t go….

surely, financially, it’s fucked anyway? Makes more sense to pay up the fee. Fans will vote with their feet. Season will be done. 4th is still salvageable, under someone else.

bit of a pickle though - who the f**k do you get in? Our inept football dept won’t have found someone. I have no faith in Robson, contrary to popular opinion on him. Ideally, we need an interim man and sort it out in summer. 

it’s a total mess. 

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Whether we should call it a disallowed goal is debatable.

The central point stands though.  Had the flag stayed down, it wouldn't necessarily have been a goal.

Not disputing the central point, I’m disputing whether or not it’s of any significance. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

A lot of noise and a lot of predictable ‘sack everyone’ and ‘scrap it all and start again’ type takes after last night. 

I think people get carried away and I don’t think we’re anywhere near that. The ‘structure’ of the football department is still very young and there’s nothing to suggest it’s totally broken. 

If I was to assess the key individuals, my unqualified take would be:

Cormack - a guy with good intentions, wants the best for the club and has a vision for where he wants it to be. However, I don’t think he knows how to implement the day to day running of the football side. Also his ego seems to get in the way. I’ve criticised a lot of his public statements and it’s always with an underlying issue that I feel his ego is in the way. I hope it doesn’t prevent him from delegating more football decisions to someone more qualified. Verdict - stay but step back

Gunn - this is the position who should be telling Dave how to run the football department. With the best will in the world I can’t see how this is the case. Let’s be honest, if gunn left tomorrow is any other premiership club asking for his services? Verdict - replace

Mowbray - couldn’t tell you what he looks like but he’s done enough to have a few more windows on the recruitment front. Some poor ones but we’ve unearthed talent we wouldn’t otherwise have a few years ago. This isn’t an overnight process and I’m comfortable with what it’s produced. Verdict - stay

Goodwin - I think I’ve made my stance on this guy pretty clear. He doesn’t have it, the biggest shock since he came in is how tactically inept he is. I wasn’t expecting wonders but I thought he’d make us a solid outfit but he’s totally out of his depth and has no answers. 

- we’ve tried 4 at the back, then 3, then back to 4

- we went gung ho at ibrox then barely left our 6 yard line at home to Celtic, and he was seemingly proud of both efforts 

- we’ve tried duk, miovski and Ramirez in the same team with the latter playing as a 10. 

I could go on but all examples that this guy has no answers. 

verdict - would’ve had him out weeks ago but if he’s not gone by midday, we riot. 

The squad 

Not as bad as some would have you believe. Middle to front this is a top 6 side pretty comfortably I’d say, undermined by the criminal mismanagement of the back line. Roos is a serviceable keeper at this level. 

The squad is imbalances but it’s a good age with a decent amount of young talent in there with resale value. However, it lacks character and when an ‘ok’ team lacks character it doesn’t take much to go into a tailspin like we’re seeing now. 

I never thought we were brilliant when we were 3rd pre World Cup and I don’t think the team is horrendous now. 

verdict - keep building and for the love of god sign a defence

conclusion - sorry for the rambling post but I don’t think everything is broken.

Agree with that. 
Would Alan Burrows be interested in replacing Gunn I wonder? 

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

2nd game in a row you’ve done this. Easy as anything to take the piss out of us and yet you’re still absolutely rattled we gave rangers a game. 

We're pish and also have a significant proportion of bottle merchants. 

The fact we clawed it back in injury time whilst being this bad only further proves my point. 

8 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Cormack needs to take his fair share of the blame for the utter clusterfuck that we are right now. While McInnes and the Dons were always going to part company, the appointment of Glass was absolutely fucking mental. Followed up by appointing a guy who even St Mirren supporters weren't sure of. 

He needs to be kept fucking miles away from the 'prawcess' of appointing the next manager, although I'm not sure who at the club I would trust to do it.

*even St Mirren supporters