The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Just don't understand how people can be against this. Miles ahead of most of what we have at the moment. Immediately improves us and becomes one of our best players. Should be giving him the armband immediately too. 

Hmmm, you want to make a player signing on for five months the captain?

Unfortunately, this signing has Cormack's fingerprints all over it.

Temporarily placate the fans with an old hero back into the fray, but does Goodwin want him? Is this Shinnie return going to cause issues on and off the field?

I'm more upbeat about the Myslovič signing although I know absolutely nothing about him.

Hopefully Shinnie still has the drive and the legs to match, and Goodwin plays him in centre-midfield if he is up to it.

However, if you're hoping for Shinnie miracles to save this season then I would advise a splash of cold water over the face.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

1 minute ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Hmmm, you want to make a player signing on for five months captain?

Temporarily placate the fans with an old hero back into the fray, but does Goodwin want him? Is this Shinnie return going to cause issues on and off the field?

I'm more upbeat about the Myslovič signing although I know absolutely nothing about him.

Hopefully Shinnie still has the drive and the legs to match, and Goodwin plays him in centre-midfield if he is up to it.

However, if you're hoping for Shinnie miracles to save this season then I would advise a splash of cold water over the face.

I posted that before it was confirmed as a loan rather than a permanent. If he does end up signing permanently, I would make him captain without a moment's hesitation. In the meantime, I'm sure he can play that role regardless of who has the armband. 

I am not for a second thinking that we will be going unbeaten for the rest of the season because we have signed Shinnie, but I do think he will make us a better, more balanced and more streetwise team. I am delighted he is back. 

This is interesting news to wake up to.

Certainly upped my mood when it comes to good ship AFC, given my return home will quickly be followed by a trip to Hampden which was looking like an inevitable pumping.

Now, hope springs eternal……..at least we’ll have some kahunas in the middle of the park.

Would be a shame if Clarkson was away - Klopp has probably finally watched his AFC YouTube reel.

Edited by tarapoa

8 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Hmmm, you want to make a player signing on for five months the captain?

I did worry it was a Cormack signing and not one that has followed the new process, but surely any Dons manager is going to be happy with a player like Shinnie?

I could be way off, but to me the Shinnie signing guarantees an extra 6 points between now and the end of the season. Could be massive.

Edited by Merkland Red

Even if cormack was given word that shinnie might be available, I very much doubt he’s just said ‘yes, sign him’ and presented Goodwin with him yesterday afternoon. 

The recruitment team, including Goodwin, Mowbray etc, would likely have been asked - shinnie is available, what do you think? And I can’t imagine Goodwin would have been saying no to that signing when presented the opportunity. 

aye, I’m sure the discussion will have been had that there will be a PR element to the signing but as long as that’s a supplement to the core fact that this is a great signing from a football perspective then I really don’t see an issue. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

The recruitment team, including Goodwin, Mowbray etc, would likely have been asked

Its maybe worth following that Lee Scott on Twitter. You get a general idea of ones hes been involved in scouting stats wise by how he responds to the announcement tweet.

From memory its like hes had a part to play in Richardson, Morris and now Myslovic.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its maybe worth following that Lee Scott on Twitter. You get a general idea of ones hes been involved in scouting stats wise by how he responds to the announcement tweet.

From memory its like hes had a part to play in Richardson, Morris and now Myslovic.

Hopefully third time lucky

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He did an interview on an AFC podcast before Xmas which was a good insight into how it all works. Definitely a lot more encouraging than what we’d been doing before. 

ETA - saying that, I think he’s left so unlikely to have been involved in myslovic. 

Edited by Dons_1988

8 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

He is a proven player in this league, and outside the Glasgow 2, every club would want him if he was available, even on loan. Fortunately for you, there was really only one club he was going to go to.

As for getting the armband..................with respect to the others who have recently held it, he always comes across as a natural leader (bit of a c**t on the field as well, which always helps).

As a fan of a club going through a "transitional period 😬" I can understand some concern at Cormacks motives, but this one was an absolute no brainer.

18 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Hopefully third time lucky

Tbf its just guesswork on my part from seeing his tweets.

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He did an interview on an AFC podcast before Xmas which was a good insight into how it all works. Definitely a lot more encouraging than what we’d been doing before. 

ETA - saying that, I think he’s left so unlikely to have been involved in myslovic. 

Myslovic was probably identified 6+ months ago tbf.

Our season was on the verge of crumbling after the last 5 games so I hope the Shinnie signing will hopefully help us recover and help us qualify for Europe. Hopefully this will stop the talk of Goodwin leaving as Cormark is backing him in this window. 

Since putting McCorie into defence our Midfield has been weak so I welcome the experience of Shinnie to help our players. Hopefully it will help the likes of Barron who has been very poor this season. 

This will help our defenders but we still need to sign a few players in defence. 

Edited by betting competition

So could leave us looking like:

Roos

McCrorie   Stewart   Scales   Coulson

Ramadani   Shinnie

Kennedy   Myslovic   Duk

Miovski   

Which I'd be happy enough with. Would prefer Duncan over Kennedy but this is just me going with what I think will be Jim's preferred team.