The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Why is that always the go to question 

I’m just genuinely interested in who you think could turn the fortunes around. Sorry. I’m not having a go. 

I just don’t see any candidates up and coming in our domestic leagues to make progress with arguably Scotlands third biggest club.

The easy option would be Robinson from St Mirren. A bigger “risk” would be Martindale. I think he has done an incredible job with Livingston.

Aside from them who else could you realistically go after?

1 hour ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

It's not a daft rumour. I know the coach of the team his son plays for. Goodwin isn't exactly quiet about his dislike for the city. He likes the club. Just not the city. 

I really don’t buy into any of that.

Goodwin always wore his heart on his sleeves when he played and often had the blood of opponents on his sleeve, but he is such a good decent guy off the field.

Someone is clearly stirring shit here.

No way would Jim Goodwin would run down the city of the club he is employed by. No chance. 

3 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I really don’t buy into any of that.

Goodwin always wore his heart on his sleeves when he played and often had the blood of opponents on his sleeve, but he is such a good decent guy off the field.

Someone is clearly stirring shit here.

No way would Jim Goodwin would run down the city of the club he is employed by. No chance. 

These type of stories can often grow arms and legs. Could he have made a throwaway comment like "I love the job but finding living away from my kids difficult"? All of a sudden that turns into "Goodwin hates living in Aberdeen"

Like you say, no chance he's going out saying he hates the city.

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

Absolutely no chance openly going about saying he hates the city 

I wouldn’t look too much into his family not moving to the city (if it’s true) 

They're probably just settled where they are and don’t want the upheaval that comes with moving.

Especially given that - if and when he does get binned - the likelihood is his next job will be in the central belt.

Kilmarnock performance was unacceptable and has put Goodwin under pressure. It is pointless sacking Goodwin at the moment as by the time you appoint another manager then the transfer window is nearly finished without the manager accessing the squad.  Hopefully we sign some decent defenders during this transfer window. I'm prepared to give Goodwin time to get this right but I have my doubts. 

The first 2 games in January is massive with both at home then we have 4 fixtures away with 3 of them Rangers, Hibs and Hearts. 

I find it incredible that we have lost 10 out of 19 games and we are sitting 4th.

Edited by betting competition

10 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Any truth in the rumour that Jim has told the AFC players to STFU so he could listen to the the last 15 minutes of the Celtic match?

Why, was he giving some of them a lift home.

11 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Kilmarnock performance was unacceptable and has put Goodwin under pressure. It is pointless sacking Goodwin at the moment as by the time you appoint another manager then the transfer window is nearly finished without the manager accessing the squad.  Hopefully we sign some decent defenders during this transfer window. I'm prepared to give Goodwin time to get this right but I have my doubts. 

The first 2 games in January is massive with both at home then we have 4 fixtures away with 3 of them Rangers, Hibs and Hearts. 

I find it incredible that we have lost 10 out of 19 games and we are sitting 4th.

I don’t really buy this. 

With reasonable succession planning you can have a new manager in place within a fortnight. 

And the whole point of having a DoF and a dedicated recruitment department is so that you can change a head coach and not have everything grind to a halt. 

If we feel we can’t sack him for the reasons you’ve outlined then the structure of the football department has failed. 

I couldn't give a shit what Goodwin thinks about the city.

Slightly more concerned that he's built a squad that's 2 or three good options deep in attack but threadbare in defence, that he's made our second worst player captain, he's slow to change tactics or formations that aren't working and that his substitutions almost always make things worse. Yesterday was our fourth abysmal performance against poor opposition so far this season. 

On the plus side, when the team is clicking we're a great watch and some of the signings have been exciting. 

I'd favour getting rid asap and letting somone else have the window, but if we let him bring in a first choice right back, centre back and squad midfielder i wouldn't be too distraught. (yet, and subject to not losing the next two games in similarly shite fashion.)

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

I’m just genuinely interested in who you think could turn the fortunes around. Sorry. I’m not having a go. 

I just don’t see any candidates up and coming in our domestic leagues to make progress with arguably Scotlands third biggest club.

The easy option would be Robinson from St Mirren. A bigger “risk” would be Martindale. I think he has done an incredible job with Livingston.

Aside from them who else could you realistically go after?

We shouldn’t be hiring domestically next as there are no particularly promising candidates there.

Likewise, we shouldn’t have hired our current manager domestically given there were no particularly great candidates but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, betting competition said:

Agreed, I thought we’d need a minimum of 7/12 points from the previous four games to remain in strong contention for third place so to gain zero and still (just about) remain 4th is incredible. 

By my reckoning, Glass had us on 24 points in seventh place after 19 games last season.

Need to move away from the British Isles for out next manager. Can't see how difficult it would be to find someone from abroad who's won a trophy at a similar level. 

Same applies to bringing in players from south of the border. Think we all need to accept that the wages sky rising in league one and two makes it extremely difficult to bring in players who are good enough for top flight scottish football. 

4 hours ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

He brought Lee Sharp and Craig Samson. We've since added to the backroom staff since he's been here with the Spanish data analysts but i'd imagine they'd stay. 

Stephen Glass brought Craig Samson to the club.