The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

On 26/12/2022 at 20:03, Dons_1988 said:

3) the summer window was the first shot at the new recruitment system (well technically January I suppose but JET etc we’re not part of the new system). I think we’ve done some great business tbh that we’ll see a return on investment on, but we were in a tricky position where we basically had to replace an entire team. I can’t really evidence anything to you but I’m convinced the recruitment process is now significantly better. 

Yip. Gutted we signed Miovski and Duk.

Should have went all out for Callum Hendry and Eamonn Brophy.

Looks like a dead cert for our form clocking in 6 points from 24 after tonight. This run of form is already notably worse than the one that ultimately saw Glass sacked. I can't really see it being much, if any, better after the visit of Ross County and St Johnstone. Does he get the transfer window to try and salvage this or is the eject button required now?

Edited by bpdon

48 minutes ago, bpdon said:

Looks like a dead cert for our form clocking in 6 points from 24 after tonight. This run of form is already notably worse than the one that ultimately saw Glass sacked. I can't really see it being much, if any, better after the visit of Ross County and St Johnstone. Does he get the transfer window to try and salvage this or is the eject button required now?

I always feel one transfer window isn't enough to fairly judge a manager but something has to change.

We've recruited a squad to play 4-2-3-1. Duk and Clarkson have become too important to leave out so we've had to change the system to show horn everyone in. 

Now we've no space for several of the summer signings, along with Besuijen and prospects like Duncan.

1 hour ago, bpdon said:

I was for giving him the January window but not after that. I don't want to see us becoming the Scottish Watford but this has evidently failed. Goodwin hates living in the city, doesn't like the city and going by the performances recently doesn't like being the manager of our club. 

I'd cut our losses tbh. We held on to Glass 6 weeks too long and left us looking over our shoulder come the end of the season. We have the chance now to remedy this. The HoR is still in place so recruitment shouldn't be that much of an issue. A blindfolded Stevie Wonder can see where we need to strengthen. 

But, for the love of god, do not hire somebody from this league. If we are looking to further our horizons on the player recruitment front then we need to do the same on the managerial front.

34 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Goodwin hates living in the city, doesn't like the city and going by the performances recently doesn't like being the manager of our club. 

Aberdeen maybe isn't what you'd like after the bright lights of Paisley but Aberdeenshire is a brilliant place for a  man in his 40s to bring up  weans.

Not sure you've called this right, chap...

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Aberdeen maybe isn't what you'd like after the bright lights of Paisley but Aberdeenshire is a brilliant place for a  man in his 40s to bring up  weans.

Not sure you've called this right, chap...

It's a shame he doesn't bring his "weans" up there then isn't it. They still live down in the central belt. 

So aye i've called it right, chap...

Edited by DunbartonshireRed

2 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

It's a shame he doesn't bring his "weans" up here then isn't it. They still live down in the central belt. 

Not sure you can blame him for not relocating his kids and moving them schools for a job where you could be binned at any moment.

5 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

It's a shame he doesn't bring his "weans" up here then isn't it. They still live down in the central belt. 

A rowie has a shelf life longer than a Dolly manager these days.

So I don't think you did.  Loon.

3 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Not sure you can blame him for not relocating his kids and moving them schools for a job where you could be binned at any moment.

I never blamed him for it. All i said initially was that he doesn't like the city and he hates living in it which is true. He doesn't. 

McInnes didn't relocate his family up here and he was manager for 8 years. 5 of those very successful. I never mentioned Goodwin's kids. But when you have a manager that hates the city where he works and lives it must filter down to the players. 

I'm not at the stage of wanting Goodwin sacked yet, but that was clearly a very concerning performance against a poor team. 

I agree with a post from earlier: We have built a squad to play a 4-2-3-1, or a 4-3-3, but we have ended up trying to cram in as many of our better players as possible to this 3-5-2 and we are just not getting value from it at the moment. 

I think Goodwin needs to make a choice between Miovski and Duk to lead the line for now. I would go for Duk, as I think he is a better player, is much more physical, and just generally has more about him when the chips are down. I can't see him dropping Miovski, though. 

Likewise, and this feels a bit Groundhog Day, I would be moving McCrorie back into midfield with Ramadani in an attempt to give us more of a foothold in games for now. McCrorie isn't a particularly gifted footballer, but tonight showed that we urgently need more athleticism and presence in there. He seems like the most viable short-term solution to that, although is by no means guaranteed to work. 

36 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

I never blamed him for it. All i said initially was that he doesn't like the city and he hates living in it which is true. He doesn't. 

McInnes didn't relocate his family up here and he was manager for 8 years. 5 of those very successful. I never mentioned Goodwin's kids. But when you have a manager that hates the city where he works and lives it must filter down to the players. 

Mcinnes travelled with the players on the team bus to away games. Goodwin doesn't (with the exception of Ibrox). He drives his own car to away games.

I think he won't survive January.

44 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I'm not at the stage of wanting Goodwin sacked yet, but that was clearly a very concerning performance against a poor team. 

I agree with a post from earlier: We have built a squad to play a 4-2-3-1, or a 4-3-3, but we have ended up trying to cram in as many of our better players as possible to this 3-5-2 and we are just not getting value from it at the moment. 

I think Goodwin needs to make a choice between Miovski and Duk to lead the line for now. I would go for Duk, as I think he is a better player, is much more physical, and just generally has more about him when the chips are down. I can't see him dropping Miovski, though. 

Likewise, and this feels a bit Groundhog Day, I would be moving McCrorie back into midfield with Ramadani in an attempt to give us more of a foothold in games for now. McCrorie isn't a particularly gifted footballer, but tonight showed that we urgently need more athleticism and presence in there. He seems like the most viable short-term solution to that, although is by no means guaranteed to work. 

McCrorie isn’t very good, and the quicker people admit this instead of saying he brings energy to midfield the better. He’s a Dom Ball at best.

Miovski and Barron have basically gone missing since the World Cup break/transfer speculation which has severely hampered things.

There can’t be many left who think Goodwin is the man so time is very limited now.