The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Aberdeen just sum up why Scottish Premiership football is f***ed over recent years.  Sitting 3rd place, 3 points in hand at home, but simply delighted at the thought of taking any form of scraps from the table.  Subservient, with the irony of doing it in a Gothenburg style kit.  They deserve everything they get.

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Aberdeen just sum up why Scottish Premiership football is f***ed over recent years.  Sitting 3rd place, 3 points in hand at home, but simply delighted at the thought of taking any form of scraps from the table.  Subservient, with the irony of doing it in a Gothenburg style kit.  They deserve everything they get.

Says on your profile your a Brechin fan? Stick to the Highland League you little p***k. Nobody gives a f**k what your opinion is. Your town is a shithole also.

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Yep, and you still have Hibs to play. We've already played them twice. Although you do tend to routinely pick up three points from them.

It's no fluke that we've scored 51 goals this season. Statically our best for over 30 years and the metrics currently forecast Aberdeen to finish third.

If you look at the remaining fixtures, Aberdeen and Hearts (probably the two teams who will occupy 3rd and 4th spot come the end of the season) there's an equal chance one of us will finish third.

Goodwin still insists Hearts are currently favourites as your team has been built over the past few years whereas we have an entirely new squad built over the past summer. Although I believe our recruitment has been more efficient than Hearts since Derren Mowbray joined us and I'm confident we'll strengthen further in January.

You have to remember we finished 10th last season (the first time in a decade Hearts have finished above us) so we required more work than you to be were we currently are. It's also a good indication your doing something right when your direct rivals (The Edinburgh clubs and in particular Hearts) are frequently commenting and downplaying your achievements during the season. Admittedly, Aberdeen fans do the same when Hearts or Hibs are performing well.

20 of those 51 goals have come in six games against lower league teams, including extra-time against Annan. 😀 Hearts haven't played any lower league teams this season, and you've only out-scored us by four in the league, and remember you've played a game more. Since we played you at Pittodrie, we've outscored you 12-11 despite Aberdeen playing a game more than Hearts in that period (7v6).

You've also conceded more than Hearts, despite Hearts playing almost the whole season up to now without being able to play anything like our first-choice defence. With Halkett, Rowles, Kingsley all available again, and Baningime seemingly on the way, we'll only get stronger.

We kept hearing all season last year that the metrics had Hearts as due to slip down the table, but we finished third by about a hundred points, so I'll not worry about that too much.

And I think you need to take into account that Aberdeen have had it all in their favour so far this season. No European fitba to congest the fixture list, and nothing like the injury trouble Hearts (and Hibs) have had. I think these factors may contribute to these metrics you speak of. I'm not sure why you think having played Hibs (who have lost seven of their last 8 league games and we have coming up at home) twice is some kind of defence of Aberdeen. The bottom line is that you've had everything in your favour in terms of the league this season, even down to playing an injury-ravaged Heart side at home off the back of a European game, and you're still only a point ahead of us having played a game more.

Our away record is marginally better than yours, and our home record in PPG is the same as yours, but we have St Mirren (who are shocking away from home) at home in hand. The sands are shifting.

You've to come to our place in a few weeks (probably having to face our first team this time), which you haven't had to do yet, and we've got the game in hand with St Mirren before that. Aberdeen have back-to-back away games coming up, which will tell us a lot. If they go and win them, fair play. But there's not much to suggest they will. I said before the break that Aberdeen's position relative to Hearts was a false one, and I think we're seeing that play out as the fixtures balance out.

Aberdeen certainly have a chance of finishing third, but, speaking as someone who is not typically a Hearts optimist, I don't think you will.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

And what is wrong with Morelos? His team have just scored a 97th minute winner and the whole team are celebrating, but all he can do is walk slowly along in front of the RDS scowling and making gestures to the stand, which was eventually spotted by Collum and the strange fellow got his yellow.

I hate him on a cellular level. 

20 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

We kept hearing all season last year that the metrics had Hearts as due to slip down the table, but we finished third by about a hundred points, so I'll not worry about that too much.

And I think you need to take into account that Aberdeen have had it all in their favour so far this season. No European fitba to congest the fixture list, and nothing like the injury trouble Hearts (and Hibs) have had. I think these factors may contribute to these metrics you speak of. I'm not sure why you think having played Hibs (who have lost seven of their last 8 league games and we have coming up at home) twice is some kind of defence of Aberdeen. The bottom line is that you've had everything in your favour in terms of the league this season, even down to playing an injury-ravaged Heart side at home off the back of a European game, and you're still only a point ahead of us having played a game more.

You've to come to our place in a few weeks (probably having to face our first team this time), and we've got the game in hand with St Mirren before that. Aberdeen have back-to-back away games coming up, which will tell us a lot. If they go and win them, fair play. But there's not much to suggest they will. I said before the break that Aberdeen's position relative to Hearts was a false one, and I think we're seeing that play out as the fixtures balance out.

Aberdeen certainly have a chance of finishing third, but, speaking as someone who is not typically a Hearts optimist, I don't think you will.

Hibs may have lost 7 out of their last 8 matches but given its an Edinburgh derby and having had a month off to mentally recoup, you would be extremely ignorant to think there isn't a chance they will take something from Tynecastle. Hibs on their day are more than capable of beating anyone outside the OF.

You continually bring up the fact your team is injury ravaged and has been competing in European football to which has provided Aberdeen with a competitive advantage. Tough shit. That's football. Get over it. Aberdeen fans know all about competing in Europe and being injury ravaged under McInnes. The past decade it's been a recurring theme for us. You're just not use to it as you don't often make Europe and spent more time getting relegated and playing in the Championship.

You currently have a squad size of 33 players of which you have the 2nd/3rd oldest team in the league. Here some perspective for you, when Aberdeen recruited this past summer, one of the criteria for signing players was to ensure they were young talented players who did not have any past injury problems. Why? Under McInnes we had the worst injury catalogue for the past 4 seasons in the league. We often signed players who had been previously crocked (Stevie May, Tommy Hoban, McGeouch etc.) and therefore were not available for half the season and were in part detrimental to our league campaign. Much like our positive goal stats (third highest in the league), our injury lacking squad is no fluke. We were more efficient than you in the summer transfer window. And if that wasn't the case you wouldn't have a 33 man squad which is old, injury plagued and has much much fewer sellable assets compared to Aberdeen. 

Hearts have played a grand total of 25 competitive matches involving European football, League cup and league matches. Aberdeen on the other hand have played 23 matches involving the league cup and league matches. Aberdeen play an extra match due to our LC semi final in January. You have therefore only played 1 more competitive match this season. Yep you played a midweek match with a game on the Sunday but given you have a squad of 33 players (don't care how many are/were injured - Neilson and co were fully aware of their previous medical records when they signed) that shouldn't be an issue. If you want to claim the elusive label of being the third best team in Scotland than you have to accept this potential fixture list comes with the package. And maybe accept Joe Savage/Neilson didn't do a good enough job recruiting players in the summer.

You downplayed (like always) our win over you early this season at Pittordrie. That day we were missing Hayes and Coulson who at the time were two of our best performers. Barron had just come back from 4 months out and was clearly lacking match fitness. Looking at your team that day, aside from Beni, Devlin, Halkett, and Rowles (the latter two aren't even that good), you played your best 11. We can only beat what's put out in front us and we did that day. I look forward to Aberdeen playing at Tynecastle in a few weeks. I've watched several Hearts matches at Tynecastle this season (Motherwell, Ross County, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock) and you're nothing special.

19 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Hibs may have lost 7 out of their last 8 matches but given its an Edinburgh derby and having had a month off to mentally recoup, you would be extremely ignorant to think there isn't a chance they will take something from Tynecastle. Hibs on their day are more than capable of beating anyone outside the OF.

You continually bring up the fact your team is injury ravaged and has been competing in European football to which has provided Aberdeen with a competitive advantage. Tough shit. That's football. Get over it. Aberdeen fans know all about competing in Europe and being injury ravaged under McInnes. The past decade it's been a recurring theme for us. You're just not use to it as you don't often make Europe and spent more time getting relegated and playing in the Championship.

You currently have a squad size of 33 players of which you have the 2nd/3rd oldest team in the league. Here some perspective for you, when Aberdeen recruited this past summer, one of the criteria for signing players was to ensure they were young talented players who did not have any past injury problems. Why? Under McInnes we had the worst injury catalogue for the past 4 seasons in the league. We often signed players who had been previously crocked (Stevie May, Tommy Hoban, McGeouch etc.) and therefore were not available for half the season and were in part detrimental to our league campaign. Much like our positive goal stats (third highest in the league), our injury lacking squad is no fluke. We were more efficient than you in the summer transfer window. And if that wasn't the case you wouldn't have a 33 man squad which is old, injury plagued and has much much fewer sellable assets compared to Aberdeen. 

1)Hearts have played a grand total of 25 competitive matches involving European football, League cup and league matches. Aberdeen on the other hand have played 23 matches involving the league cup and league matches. Aberdeen play an extra match due to our LC semi final in January. You have therefore only played 1 more competitive match this season. Yep you played a midweek match with a game on the Sunday but given you have a squad of 33 players (2) don't care how many are/were injured - Neilson and co were fully aware of their previous medical records when they signed) that shouldn't be an issue. If you want to claim the elusive label of being the third best team in Scotland than you have to accept this potential fixture list comes with the package. And maybe accept Joe Savage/Neilson didn't do a good enough job recruiting players in the summer.

You downplayed (like always) our win over you early this season at Pittordrie. That day we were missing Hayes and Coulson who at the time were two of our best performers. Barron had just come back from 4 months out and was clearly lacking match fitness. Looking at your team that day, 3) aside from Beni, Devlin, Halkett, and Rowles (the latter two aren't even that good), you played your best 11. We can only beat what's put out in front us and we did that day. I look forward to Aberdeen playing at Tynecastle in a few weeks. I've watched several Hearts matches at Tynecastle this season (Motherwell, Ross County, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock) and you're nothing special.

That's an absolute mess. 😀

Look, you're the lad on here shouting about metrics etc, and if you're going to do that, then you need to consider context. I've just pointed out to you that from what's happened this season, you'd expect Aberdeen to be third just now. It's highly unlikely they finish there without spending big in January, and since you're losing a hundred grand a week... Your 'Tough shit. Get over it.' doesn't change the fact that you're pinning your hopes for your season on circumstances that don't exist any more.

A few obvious points.

1) You're counting League Cup group games. Comparing those pre-season strolls to Fiorentina away between away matches in the Premiership while missing the spine of the team is silly, and any reader can see that. And Hearts were playing friendlies while Aberdeen were playing those group games, which amounts to the same thing. We played Bonnyrigg when you played Peterhead. We played Tranmere when you played Dumbarton. We played Preston when you played Stirling Albion. We played Stoke when you played Raith. What's the difference?

2) If you like your fitba with no context, then you bash on.

3) Aye, aside from the spine of our team... 😀

Honestly, son. you're a good laugh.

I feel for you. You've built Aberdeen's run of home wins in late summer and run past some lower league teams to a semi-final that you'll lose into some big resurgence. And when the facts are pointed out to you, it all falls away into nothing. You're obviously a young lad. You'll learn that this is fitba. It disappoints you sometimes.

Keep your chin up.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

That's an absolute mess. 😀

Look, you're the lad on here shouting about metrics etc, I've just pointed out to you that from what's happened this season, you'd expect Aberdeen to be third just now. It's highly unlikely they finish there without spending big in January, and since you're losing a hundred grand a week...

A few obvious points.

1) You're counting League Cup group games. Comparing those pre-season strolls to Fiorentina away between away matches in the Premiership is silly, and any reader can see that. And Hearts were playing friendlies while Aberdeen were playing those group games, which amounts to the same thing.

2) If you like your fitba with no context, then you bash on.

3) Aye, aside from the spine of our team... 😀

I feel for you. You've built Aberdeen's run of home wins in late summer and run past some lower league teams to a semi-final that you'll lose into some big resurgence. And when the facts are pointed out to you, it all falls away into nothing. You're obviously a young lad. You'll learn that this is fitba. It disappoints you sometimes.

Keep your chin up.

You've come on to the Aberdeen thread a number of times and have been put in your place on multiple occasions by the majority of Aberdeen fans you have interacted with (especially regarding the stadium). In fact, opposition fans have actually entered discourse with you and called you out on your deluded nonsense. Which illustrates that the general consensus is that you are very much in the wrong and have a particular dislike and bias towards Aberdeen FC.

And yes I am bringing the league cup campaign in to play. Why? because the fixtures lie within the dates and periods of the 2022/2023 season. Doesn't matter when they are played. Them the facts. We also have a highly competitive LC semi against The Rangers in January which is ever bit as competitive as any of the European fixtures you experienced this season. And again, you can only beat what's presented in front of you. That's why we are in the LC semi final. St Johnstone, St Mirren, Hibs, etc what's their excuse for getting knocked out by lower league opposition?

Also you clearly don't understand how annual accounts work. Cormack has already confirmed the club holds NO debt. Of course the media/Hearts/Hibs fans etc are going to sensationalise the annual accounts and make it appear to be a disaster story however it's not a true reflection of Aberdeen finances. The Calvin Ramsay and Lewis Ferguson transactions fell 2 weeks outside the dates the annual accounts are taken from. The release of our next annual accounts are therefore going to look phenomenal and put Hearts to shame. Regarding the 100k weekly loss, Cormack commented that this was a deliberate decision as it allows us to pay more in wages and be more competitive. It ties in with our recruitment strategy. We cover those loses through other means such as selling players. We are essentially copying the strategic models that Atlanta Utd, Brentford FC and Sevilla follow but on a smaller scale. Midtjyland FC is a more comparable club. Ron Gordon himself has announced Hibs have the same model in place as Aberdeen. The difference is we won the transfer window (as they say) in the summer.

Just remember, without Anderson (your public benefactor) you would have made a lose of 3 million. Aberdeen as a club covered the their loses through player sales. You needed Anderson. Cormack has previously stated he and other members of the board would cover any debt acquired over the past few years in the event players sales didn't cover it. As things stand, we got through Covid and carry NO debt, we have the best youth development potentially in the country, arguably the best recruitment team/strategy in place outside the OF, the youngest side in the SPL with the most sellable assets, we've generated millions more in players sales than anyone outside the OF in the past decade and your favourite topic: we have the least injury prone side in the league to brag. The truth is the future is very positive for Aberdeen yet you continually put this sensationalized spin on things such as we are going to go bust due to our recruitment strategy, the stadium is never going to work out and we'll be a perennial bottom six side fighting relegation battles 😀.

You made a big deal this last few week about the council declaring it wouldn't be funding our new stadium. As Cormack stated this past week, we've known that for ages. I brought that up with you previously. Nothings changed. Except we now have two options available. Kingswell, where we own the land and have the ability to expand the stadium in the future (if required) or the preferred beach front (the council has provided land for us if we so choose). Cormack is confident of attracting investors and getting the funding for the new stadium. And by the way, it's not a community stadium which you keep falsely claiming. Aberdeen will be the sole owner to stadium. And having spoken to Cormack personally regarding a 16k seater stadium I understand the logic behind it. I'm fully aware that it's not a popular decision but in theory it'll generate Aberdeen millions in doing so. By the way, St Johnstone are looking to downsize their stadium to 7k for similar reasons as ourselves.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

By the way, St Johnstone are looking to downsize their stadium to 7k for similar reasons as ourselves.

We dont even know whos going to own the club in 5 months. 

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Aberdeen just sum up why Scottish Premiership football is f***ed over recent years.  They deserve everything they get.

Actually teams like Brechin are literally the problem with Scottish football. Still taking hundreds of thousands in parachute payments, yet no player development.

These clubs should be out of the league structure with the money being spent on improving the infrastructure for community sports including youth football.

6 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

That's an absolute mess.

If you like your fitba with no context, then you bash on.

I feel for you.

You’re obviously a young lad. You'll learn

Keep your chin up.

A lot of the valid points you raise are often wasted when you come across as patronising and condescending all the time.

1 hour ago, Don exotic said:

Actually teams like Brechin are literally the problem with Scottish football. Still taking hundreds of thousands in parachute payments, yet no player development.

These clubs should be out of the league structure with the money being spent on improving the infrastructure for community sports including youth football.

Aye, right enough.  In recent years Brechin have only helped develop Scotland international and soon-to-be Rangers player John Souttar, his brother Harry who just played in the World Cup, and Ryan Gauld.  They really must try harder.

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

You've come on to the Aberdeen thread a number of times and have been put in your place on multiple occasions by the majority of Aberdeen fans you have interacted with (especially regarding the stadium). In fact, opposition fans have actually entered discourse with you and called you out on your deluded nonsense. Which illustrates that the general consensus is that you are very much in the wrong and have a particular dislike and bias towards Aberdeen FC.

And yes I am bringing the league cup campaign in to play. Why? because the fixtures lie within the dates and periods of the 2022/2023 season. Doesn't matter when they are played. Them the facts. We also have a highly competitive LC semi against The Rangers in January which is ever bit as competitive as any of the European fixtures you experienced this season. And again, you can only beat what's presented in front of you. That's why we are in the LC semi final. St Johnstone, St Mirren, Hibs, etc what's their excuse for getting knocked out by lower league opposition?

Also you clearly don't understand how annual accounts work. Cormack has already confirmed the club holds NO debt. Of course the media/Hearts/Hibs fans etc are going to sensationalise the annual accounts and make it appear to be a disaster story however it's not a true reflection of Aberdeen finances. The Calvin Ramsay and Lewis Ferguson transactions fell 2 weeks outside the dates the annual accounts are taken from. The release of our next annual accounts are therefore going to look phenomenal and put Hearts to shame. Regarding the 100k weekly loss, Cormack commented that this was a deliberate decision as it allows us to pay more in wages and be more competitive. It ties in with our recruitment strategy. We cover those loses through other means such as selling players. We are essentially copying the strategic models that Atlanta Utd, Brentford FC and Sevilla follow but on a smaller scale. Midtjyland FC is a more comparable club. Ron Gordon himself has announced Hibs have the same model in place as Aberdeen. The difference is we won the transfer window (as they say) in the summer.

Just remember, without Anderson (your public benefactor) you would have made a lose of 3 million. Aberdeen as a club covered the their loses through player sales. You needed Anderson. Cormack has previously stated he and other members of the board would cover any debt acquired over the past few years in the event players sales didn't cover it. As things stand, we got through Covid and carry NO debt, we have the best youth development potentially in the country, arguably the best recruitment team/strategy in place outside the OF, the youngest side in the SPL with the most sellable assets, we've generated millions more in players sales than anyone outside the OF in the past decade and your favourite topic: we have the least injury prone side in the league to brag. The truth is the future is very positive for Aberdeen yet you continually put this sensationalized spin on things such as we are going to go bust due to our recruitment strategy, the stadium is never going to work out and we'll be a perennial bottom six side fighting relegation battles 😀.

You made a big deal this last few week about the council declaring it wouldn't be funding our new stadium. As Cormack stated this past week, we've known that for ages. I brought that up with you previously. Nothings changed. Except we now have two options available. Kingswell, where we own the land and have the ability to expand the stadium in the future (if required) or the preferred beach front (the council has provided land for us if we so choose). Cormack is confident of attracting investors and getting the funding for the new stadium. And by the way, it's not a community stadium which you keep falsely claiming. Aberdeen will be the sole owner to stadium. And having spoken to Cormack personally regarding a 16k seater stadium I understand the logic behind it. I'm fully aware that it's not a popular decision but in theory it'll generate Aberdeen millions in doing so. By the way, St Johnstone are looking to downsize their stadium to 7k for similar reasons as ourselves.

😀

Oh, son.

32 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Aye, right enough.  In recent years Brechin have only helped develop Scotland international and soon-to-be Rangers player John Souttar, his brother Harry who just played in the World Cup, and Ryan Gauld.  They really must try harder.

Did any of them play for Brechin city though? The point is the money spent on paying for better players/Craig Levein etc to compete in the Highland league could have been spent on training pitches to develop more players in Brechin or elsewhere. Look at Icelands infrastructure investment.

10 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Yep, and you still have Hibs to play. We've already played them twice. Although you do tend to routinely pick up three points from them.

It's no fluke that we've scored 51 goals this season. Statically our best for over 30 years and the metrics currently forecast Aberdeen to finish third.

If you look at the remaining fixtures, Aberdeen and Hearts (probably the two teams who will occupy 3rd and 4th spot come the end of the season) there's an equal chance one of us will finish third.

Goodwin still insists Hearts are currently favourites as your team has been built over the past few years whereas we have an entirely new squad built over the past summer. Although I believe our recruitment has been more efficient than Hearts since Derren Mowbray joined us and I'm confident we'll strengthen further in January.

You have to remember we finished 10th last season (the first time in a decade Hearts have finished above us) so we required more work than you to be were we currently are. It's also a good indication your doing something right when your direct rivals (The Edinburgh clubs and in particular Hearts) are frequently commenting and downplaying your achievements during the season. Admittedly, Aberdeen fans do the same when Hearts or Hibs are performing well.

When does this happen?

4 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

Did any of them play for Brechin city though? The point is the money spent on paying for better players/Craig Levein etc to compete in the Highland league could have been spent on training pitches to develop more players in Brechin or elsewhere. Look at Icelands infrastructure investment.

No chance this will be resolved without it clogging up an Aberdeen thread.  The whole thing's been argued over before in various threads, an example below that can always be bumped if you feel the burning desire to do so.

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/234513-too-many-clubs/