The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 hours ago, betting competition said:

They're not great are they. 

The operating loss of £5.3m is a better reflection of how we did than the net loss (£2.2m). The £3m adjustments were the covid insurance which related to the previous year and which was used to pay for some of those losses and the Ronnie Hernandez transfer, which seems to have little to do with the club. 

In context, this was our worst season in years on the pitch. 

Hopefully a better showing on the park this season gets ticket sales and prize money up. The former are surely well ahead of last season for the same time.  £1m turnover is about forty or fifty thousand extra tickets. (We're about 5,000 up on last season, with league cup group stages instead of Europe and without any OF visits yet. Last season we had 19k combined for the embra cheeks in October compared to 31k this year. Our attendances plummeted until March last year) 

We had some expensive dead wood on the park last season, JET, gallagher and Ojo just off the top of my head. I doubt our replacements are any less expensive but are at least not totally shite. 

We’d have had compo for the management team again last season although probably nothing like the previous year. 

So hopefully at operating level there's enough change to the turnover and costs to seriously reduce that loss this year. For the benefit of any obsessed yams, we do probably have higher property overheads than we'd like but it's wages and turnover that are the real issue. 

Below the operating line, we've already paid for these losses at the start of 22/23 with two big transfers. It's a bit high risk to rely on a conveyor belt but we've a young squad with high fee potential. 

In summary, shite, but not panicking yet. 

Edited by coprolite
Terrible, shameful arithmetic

10 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

They won’t take in to account transfer fees incoming? We took in about £8.5m post June (& spend just under £2m?)

So +£6.5m to come in I’m thinking? 

I made the same point regarding the sale of Bassey and Aribo (around £25m) and that was swiftly disregarded.

9 hours ago, betting competition said:

On the face of it, yes - but as mentioned above you have several million coming into next years figures from transfers in, and losses are being covered by directors, so its not catastrophic.

As an aside, Aberdeen could just as easily have got a more positive story in the BBC etc by getting some benefactor on the board to pump in a few million ahead of the end of the reporting period.

Your figures, as reported, are probably a more accurate reflection.

20 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

On the face of it, yes - but as mentioned above you have several million coming into next years figures from transfers in, and losses are being covered by directors, so its not catastrophic.

As an aside, Aberdeen could just as easily have got a more positive story in the BBC etc by getting some benefactor on the board to pump in a few million ahead of the end of the reporting period.

Not going to derail the thread, but would just point out two things.

1) When you know  investment from a director and the supporters is coming, you plan for it, put it in your budget, and build your business plan around it. Presenting Hearts' accounts as having been bailed out by some late chicanery is daft and inaccurate. You're often daft and inaccurate about Hearts, but I'd suggest you read up on what that money is for, how it is being spent, and how it has been budgeted for. I expect you'll be upset to see further funding from Anderson in next year's accounts, for example. He's told the club he's investing, and it's been agreed. It's not a bail-out. Similar to how Hibs fans have been telling us from day 1 that FoH is not sustainable and donations will dry up. They haven't. Hbs.net is not the best place to find out about Hearts.

2) Aberdeen FC know all about benefactors anyway, having had extensive financial aid themselves. A local family agreed to basically wipe out their debts back in 2014. Having had that done for them, they were well-poised to go on and take advantage of the shitshows at Hearts, Hibs, and Rangers and press on. Yet, here we are in 2022 with Hearts and Hibs with completed stadiums, Aberdeen facing an extremely uncertain future and with dreadful financial results.

It's very grim for Aberdeen.

Edited by VincentGuerin

16 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Donation aside, the difference between Hearts results and ours is pretty much SPL prize money of £800k. All this finance stuff is about having the means to an end. 

I think that the club having that money at their disposal does give them additional means over and above what we have unfortunately. But it doesn't say anything about how sustainable their business model is compared to ours, or yours. They still have to use that advantage well. 

13 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

1) When you know  investment from a director and the supporters is coming, you plan for it, put it in your budget, and build your business plan around it. Presenting Hearts' accounts as having been bailed out by some late chicanery is daft and inaccurate. You're often daft and inaccurate about Hearts, but I'd suggest you read up on what that money is for, how it is being spent, and how it has been budgeted for. I expect you'll be upset to see further funding from Anderson in next year's accounts, for example. He's told the club he's investing, and it's been agreed. It's not a bail-out. Similar to how Hibs fans have been telling us from day 1 that FoH is not sustainable and donations will dry up. They haven't. Hbs.net is not the best place to find out about Hearts.

2) Aberdeen FC know all about benefactors anyway, having had extensive financial aid themselves. A local family agreed to basically wipe out their debts back in 2014. Having had that done for them, they were well-poised to go on and take advantage of the shitshows at Hearts, Hibs, and Rangers and press on. Yet, here we are in 2022 with Hearts and Hibs with completed stadiums, Aberdeen facing an extremely uncertain future and with dreadful financial results.

I love wishful thinking. 

13 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

We’ll never get relegated or go into administration.

THAT’S grim & for absolute diddy clubs. 

14 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I love wishful thinking. 

12 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

We’ll never get relegated or go into administration.

THAT’S grim & for absolute diddy clubs. 

You two should meet!

I think it's a reflection on what has happened to the Scottish football media in the last couple of decades that Aberdeen's stadium woes are not a major story in the papers, on Sportsound etc.

It's obvious that Aberdeen are moving in risky directions at the moment. This is one of those things where people look back in years to come and acknowledge that the signs were all there.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Charismatic Elderly Man Reading Newspaper by Pressmaster on Envato Elements

Ooooft!

Interesting times ahead.

Oh really, great! 

33 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

7 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

You two should meet!

I think it's a reflection on what has happened to the Scottish football media in the last couple of decades that Aberdeen's stadium woes are not a major story in the papers, on Sportsound etc.

It's obvious that Aberdeen are moving in risky directions at the moment. This is one of those things where people look back in years to come and acknowledge that the signs were all there.

Or not. 

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Oh really, great! 

Or not. 

Aberdeen's financial model is based on continuing to sell players. That's it. There's no other strategy.

They've just lost five million quid, their wage-bill is rising, they have a crumbling wreck of a stadium and no way to finance a new one.

Tell me what part of that isn't worrying.

What happens if Aberdeen don't finish third this season? Keep in mind that funding gap isn't helped by having slightly more than half of Hearts' ST base and no FoH money of 1.5m per year. That doesn't improve without results. But then, when you need to keep selling...

Edited by VincentGuerin