The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Good result last night with lots of goals again. We seem to have gone for the opposite strategy to Glass of having a light midfield who don't hold onto the ball, but can find a pass. This works when we are on the front foot, if we score first or against the teams that will only aim to defend. It worked against hearts and hibs because our strikers finished better, but we do need more of a midfield for the tougher away games and arse cheeks games.

Stewart wins most of the longballs, but hibs targeted the second ball if it wasn't fully cleared and won it too often.

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

Roos is underrated by our fans. Excellent again last night. 

He's capable of the odd drop in concentration, but overall he's been excellent imo. His save low to his right in the 2nd half last night was exceptional.

Currently sitting third with a game in hand and looking forward to a Scottish league cup semi final in January. A marked improvement on last season's disaster show. Cormack, Goodwin and the recruitment team deserve credit for the work they've done thus far. I often forget we have the youngest side in the league and I'd argue once again we have some of the most sellable assets outside the OF.

Third spot is wide open for anyone. I suspect Hearts (still my favourites for third) once some of their injured players return will be rejuvenated after the world cup. The scoreline yesterday was harsh on Hibs and I still don't think there's much between the sides. I wouldn't rule out Livingston either. They often don't receive the credit they deserve and are a good side. Martindale has worked wonders with Livi.

The team is still gelling and clearly Goodwin is still figuring out the best formation to suit this group of players. Hopefully the 3 at the back experiment is dropped for now. Defence is still needing some work and we lack, specifically, height in the middle of the park. Hopefully we address this in January. Stewart and Richardson have received a fair amount of criticism in recent weeks - sometimes warranted and sometimes not. Regarding Barron, he appears to be lacking match sharpness and just needs to keep things simple. Wouldn't be surprised if the recent interest is causing a distraction for him. Having said that aside from the The Rangers match we've won every game he's started since his return.

I feel for Richardson as its clear he's lacking from confidence. At the start of the season, he was eager to bomb past his man and get the ball into the box however currently he doesn't appear to want the ball for fear of abuse. He has a lot of great physical attributes and is just a young lad. I thought yesterday in the second half he looked much more assured. We have to keep playing him in order for him to develop. Possibly a loan move would benefit him if we are going to sign a new right back in January.

Stewart is such a Jekyll and Hyde player. He's wins a lot of aerial duals and puts his body about but he's not very good on the ball. His distribution is poor and he's not fasted player. We actually lack height in defence. Unlikely to happen but I'd like to see us sign a centre back, potentially a new right back and someone with height in the middle of the park. We struggle to assert ourselves when Barron and Clarkson are both playing in the middle. Potentially we might just have to play one or the other. 

Overall pleased to see the club back in the top half of the table after last season and looking forward to what the rest of the season brings.

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Overall pleased to see the club back in the top half of the table after last season and looking forward to what the rest of the season brings.

Steady

Edited by Jacksgranda

4 minutes ago, kent_don said:

Looking forward to the livi game but I’m a bit confused - tickets are printed as wed 9th, but website suggests it’s Tuesday. Can anyone confirm?

I had to double check when mine arrived the other day, but it is on Tuesday. 

8 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Currently sitting third with a game in hand and looking forward to a Scottish league cup semi final in January. A marked improvement on last season's disaster show. Cormack, Goodwin and the recruitment team deserve credit for the work they've done thus far. I often forget we have the youngest side in the league and I'd argue once again we have some of the most sellable assets outside the OF.

Third spot is wide open for anyone. I suspect Hearts (still my favourites for third) once some of their injured players return will be rejuvenated after the world cup. The scoreline yesterday was harsh on Hibs and I still don't think there's much between the sides. I wouldn't rule out Livingston either. They often don't receive the credit they deserve and are a good side. Martindale has worked wonders with Livi.

The team is still gelling and clearly Goodwin is still figuring out the best formation to suit this group of players. Hopefully the 3 at the back experiment is dropped for now. Defence is still needing some work and we lack, specifically, height in the middle of the park. Hopefully we address this in January. Stewart and Richardson have received a fair amount of criticism in recent weeks - sometimes warranted and sometimes not. Regarding Barron, he appears to be lacking match sharpness and just needs to keep things simple. Wouldn't be surprised if the recent interest is causing a distraction for him. Having said that aside from the The Rangers match we've won every game he's started since his return.

I feel for Richardson as its clear he's lacking from confidence. At the start of the season, he was eager to bomb past his man and get the ball into the box however currently he doesn't appear to want the ball for fear of abuse. He has a lot of great physical attributes and is just a young lad. I thought yesterday in the second half he looked much more assured. We have to keep playing him in order for him to develop. Possibly a loan move would benefit him if we are going to sign a new right back in January.

Stewart is such a Jekyll and Hyde player. He's wins a lot of aerial duals and puts his body about but he's not very good on the ball. His distribution is poor and he's not fasted player. We actually lack height in defence. Unlikely to happen but I'd like to see us sign a centre back, potentially a new right back and someone with height in the middle of the park. We struggle to assert ourselves when Barron and Clarkson are both playing in the middle. Potentially we might just have to play one or the other. 

Richardson makes a lot off good runs but Stewart prefers to pass it sides or back to Roos 

12 hours ago, kent_don said:

Looking forward to the livi game but I’m a bit confused - tickets are printed as wed 9th, but website suggests it’s Tuesday. Can anyone confirm?

Never noticed when my ticket came in. However, I'm going to take a chance and travel down on Tuesday. 

The ex-Aberdeen footballer who retired to become a cop now captaining Britain's police team

Some incredible revisionism here...

Wright was signed to the Pittodrie outfit for £100,000 by then manager Jimmy Calderwood in August 2008 from Darlington, and hit the headlines on his debut after he allegedly attempted to headbutt Motherwell's Stephen Craigan.

His fortunes turned around, however, securing his first goal against East Fife in the Scottish Cup, before landing his first in the SPL with a header against St Mirren as the Dons secured fourth place in the table.