The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Just watched the “highlights”.

Miovski not scoring a least one out of his two big chances is poor.

First goal, Coulson badly caught out and Ramadani invites the United player to continue along the byline. Their LWB in acres of space to finish, Richardson didn’t get close to him throughout the whole first half.

Second goal, pitiful attempt from Coulson and Besuijen to defend. Good finish from Watt, although surely a booking for the celebration.

Richardson’s chance/penalty shout didn’t make the cut. I felt at the time that he waited an age for the ball to come to him instead of attacking the ball, allowing the defender to close him down.

Their penalty was a Collum special, sniper in the crowd.

Fourth goal, deary me. McCrorie obviously senses the United player behind but has no clue where his keeper is. Roos stuck in no man’s land, never going to make the ball. As bad as each other.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Just watched the “highlights”.

Miovski not scoring a least one out of his two big chances is poor.

First goal, Coulson badly caught out and Ramadani invites the United player to continue along the byline. Their LWB in acres of space to finish, Richardson didn’t get close to him throughout the whole first half.

Second goal, pitiful attempt from Coulson and Besuijen to defend. Good finish from Watt, although surely a booking for the celebration.

Richardson’s chance/penalty shout didn’t make the cut. I felt at the time that he waited an age for the ball to come to him instead of attacking the ball, allowing the defender to close him down.

Their penalty was a Collum special, sniper in the crowd.

Fourth goal, deary me. McCrorie obviously senses the United player behind but has no clue where his keeper is. Roos stuck in no man’s land, never going to make the ball. As bad as each other.

Ours was never a pen tbh.

Should have been a goal though.

3 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

The Leader of the Luddites has spoken...I would rather VAR than get shafted from incompetent/fearful/corrupt referees. 

I agree it will not guarantee 100% accuracy but it will considerably improve the current standards.

It makes no sense to have technology available to improve the officiating at matches and not utilise it.

There are issues with it's application during game time which need resolved but that will improve over time and use.

And for the record, I don't think VAR would've overturned Scales on Porteous either.

You do realise that the VAR is not technology. The VAR is an incompetent/fearful/corrupt referee.

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I was joking with the Luddites comment. You won't find a bigger football traditionalist than me and I hate the post-Bosman era of football.

However, I'm sick of Scottish referees, particularly, with their incompetence and how they're easily swayed to benefit two clubs.

I've no doubt VAR will be end up being abused here but I'm hopeful that it might set the cat amongst the pigeons.

I'll probably end up hating VAR too though.

I’m not precious about the Luddite thing. 

I don’t even really believe that VAR will be corrupt here or anything like that, I just don’t like it. If decisions like last night wouldn’t be overturned then what’s the point?

it would be harder for me to argue against it if you were putting an end to bad/controversial decisions but that is literally impossible. The marginal gains in % accuracy of decisions for me is never going to be worth the fundamental change in watching football it causes. 

What is it about Dundee United?

One of my first memories of watching AFC was the Dens Park replay in the 79 LC final.  An air of confidence after dominating at Hampden, then we collapse.

My first trip to Tannadice was actually a win - I think in the 81 LCSF - but we caved in at home in the second leg and I recall Sturrock in particular tearing us apart.

Then at Pittodrie after the Bayern game, they beat us and effectively it cost us the title.

There have been plenty other painful cup semi-final experiences, and a couple of SCQF trouncings under Calderwood and Glass this side of the millennium.

Yes amongst that there have been a lot of wins against them - but there is just something about that club's ability to spectacularly twist the knife into AFC - even in a season when they're sitting with 2 points from 8 games.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

One of my first memories of watching AFC was the Dens Park replay in the 79 LC final.  An air of confidence after dominating at Hampden, then we collapse.

My first trip to Tannadice was actually a win - I think in the 81 LCSF - but we caved in at home in the second leg and I recall Sturrock in particular tearing us apart.

Then at Pittodrie after the Bayern game, they beat us and effectively it cost us the title.

There have been plenty other painful cup semi-final experiences, and a couple of SCQF trouncings under Calderwood and Glass this side of the millennium.

Yes amongst that there have been a lot of wins against them - but there is just something about that club's ability to spectacularly twist the knife into AFC - even in a season when they're sitting with 2 points from 8 games.

Now that they've 5 points they'll hopefully rest on their laurels.

14 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m not precious about the Luddite thing. 

I don’t even really believe that VAR will be corrupt here or anything like that, I just don’t like it. If decisions like last night wouldn’t be overturned then what’s the point?

it would be harder for me to argue against it if you were putting an end to bad/controversial decisions but that is literally impossible. The marginal gains in % accuracy of decisions for me is never going to be worth the fundamental change in watching football it causes. 

It seems perverse to me though, that for anyone in a  support that has complained so often about incorrect refereeing decisions should be so steadfastly against technology that will assist referees in reaching the correct decision.

I read recently on here someone mentioning the Killie game where Mikey Devlin was incorrectly sent off after six minutes and basically ruining the game as a spectacle and for everyone paying £20+ entrance. With VAR, overturned, Devlin stays on the park and the match remains 11 vs 11.

Or the Top 6 play-off game last year against Livi (I think), when Besijuin was taken out by the keeper and ended up getting booked. With VAR, overturned, keeper booked and penalty for the Dons.

These are just a couple that spring to mind, and of course, there will be a few that go against us, like for instance Miovski's simulation last week against Killie to win the pen; however, I would rather that than seeing weekly game-changing incorrect decisions made by Scottish referees.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Dundee United had a good team in the late 1970s/1980s and we've had a pretty poor ones during large swathes of the 21st century.

In my view, the fans travelled down to Tannadice on Saturday with more swagger than the early season performances merited. I thought we would lose by the odd goal beforehand although the manner of the collapse surprised me.

Perhaps it's that "air of confidence" is the problem that Aberdeen fans (rightly) believe we are a bigger team and thus should sweep them aside but that just doesn't happen as often as we would like.

I would like to see their record against us in semi-finals though. I remember being shocked that we actually managed to beat them at Tynecastle in 1990. I suppose the only way we were going to beat them was by hammerig them like we did that day, if it was close and started going to replays then we invariably lost like we did in the Scottish Cup in 85, 88 and 94.

5 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

It seems perverse to me though, that for anyone in a  support that has complained so often about incorrect refereeing decisions should be so steadfastly against technology that will assist referees in reaching the correct decision.

I read recently on here someone mentioning the Killie game where Mikey Devlin was incorrectly sent off after six minutes and basically ruining the game as a spectacle and for everyone paying £20+ entrance. With VAR, overturned, Devlin stays on the park and the match remains 11 vs 11.

Or the Top 6 play-off game last year against Livi (I think), when Besijuin was taken out by the keeper and ended up getting booked. With VAR, overturned, keeper booked and penalty for the Dons.

These are just a couple that spring to mind, and of course, there will be a few that go against us, like for instance Miovski's simulation last week against Killie to win the pen; however, I would rather that than seeing weekly game-changing incorrect decisions made by Scottish referees.

That Devlin one is surely an example of the sort of thing that VAR wouldn't overturn? There was a foul. Referee's opinion was that it denied a clear goalscoring opportunity. That's so subjective that it's not obviously wrong, so the decision would stand wouldn't it? 

I admit to not understanding how VAR would deal with the foul by Brophy immediately before. 

10 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

There’s a hypocrisy to constantly moaning about decisions and being against VAR, agreed. That’s why I’ve made a pretty conscious effort to not moan too much or at the very least not blame the ref for our fortunes. 

I really hate the way VAR changes the dynamic of the game, I hate the way it applies the laws of the game (see offside) and how it’s influenced other areas of the game (see handball). And at the end of all that there are still countless decisions that are wrong and/or debatable. And that’s before you even countenance the application of it by employees of the SFA. 

This is all my opinion and I do feel strongly about it. I voiced it to the club when they were chasing me for ST renewal and they pawned me off with some shite about no other clubs consulted fans either which just riled me further. 

Its just not for me. Others feel differently and that’s fine. 

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

That Devlin one is surely an example of the sort of thing that VAR wouldn't overturn? There was a foul. Referee's opinion was that it denied a clear goalscoring opportunity. That's so subjective that it's not obviously wrong, so the decision would stand wouldn't it? 

I admit to not understanding how VAR would deal with the foul by Brophy immediately before. 

Maybe I don't understand it but every decision a referee makes without the assistance of his assistant referees are subjective.

However, if VAR decides that the referee might want to take a second look at that decision he's just made that may have game-changing consequences then surely that's its purpose?

Whether a trumpet like Craig Thomson (who I think was the ref that sent off Devlin) would admit he's wrong of course is a different matter.

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

There’s a hypocrisy to constantly moaning about decisions and being against VAR, agreed. That’s why I’ve made a pretty conscious effort to not moan too much or at the very least not blame the ref for our fortunes. 

I really hate the way VAR changes the dynamic of the game, I hate the way it applies the laws of the game (see offside) and how it’s influenced other areas of the game (see handball). And at the end of all that there are still countless decisions that are wrong and/or debatable. And that’s before you even countenance the application of it by employees of the SFA. 

This is all my opinion and I do feel strongly about it. I voiced it to the club when they were chasing me for ST renewal and they pawned me off with some shite about no other clubs consulted fans either which just riled me further. 

Its just not for me. Others feel differently and that’s fine. 

I agree that VAR's interpretation of what constitutes handball or even offside can make a mockery of the technology.

Unfortunately, that's the problem which @kingjoey refers to where it's actually humans (if referees can be classed as such) that make the final decision on what the technology as shown them.

It's far easier for them to be a jobsworth and use the technology to give a penalty, for instance, for an unintentional handball by applying the letter of the law than  use the technology to look at one of your own decisions and say "oh I got that wrong, I'll overturn it" as @coprolite highlighted.

10 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Maybe I don't understand it but every decision a referee makes without the assistance of his assistant referees are subjective.

However, if VAR decides that the referee might want to take a second look at that decision he's just made that may have game-changing consequences then surely that's its purpose?

Whether a trumpet like Craig Thomson (who I think was the ref that sent off Devlin) would admit he's wrong of course is a different matter.

The only VAR games i've seen are internationals so i have limited understanding of how we'll use it. My working assumption is we'll copy England wholesale. I hear bad things from English types, but most of what i've found out about VAR is from the protocols and not anything in practice. 

What i was meaning was that that decision wasn't a question of whether there was a dive without any contact (i mean there was a dive, but also a wee tug), or whether the ball hit a defender in the hand or face or something. The ref knew he'd given a professional foul 45 yards from goal. Confirmation bias suggests he's going to see the replay and decide that the other cb wasn't going to get there, whether or not he was.

The onus of proof is that the decision has to be clearly and obviously wrong. So he'd have to think that it was clear and obvious that the other cb would get back, rather than there just being a very good chance. 

22 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Perhaps it's that "air of confidence" is the problem that Aberdeen fans (rightly) believe we are a bigger team and thus should sweep them aside but that just doesn't happen as often as we would like.

aberdeen fans are still living in the 1980s