The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I think on the whole that’s a good window, albeit we’re yet to fully assess all of the signings. I’m glad we got rid of so much dross and we look a lot more potent going forward. 

We have left ourselves very short at the back though so I’m concerned that’s going to come back to bite us. 

I didn’t expect to come out of this window with us being the finished article though, I feel we’ve done the core business we needed to and we can hopefully add to it going forward. 

Edited by Dons_1988

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

We have left ourselves very short at the back though so I’m concerned that’s going to come back to bite us. 

A couple of injuries and suspensions in that area and the balance of the squad is going to look like borderline incompetence.

Having established that everyone thinks McLennan is rubbish, what actual type of player is he? Where will/does he play and what are his supposed attributes?

Witty answers serve a purpose but some serious ones would be appreciated as well.

13 minutes ago, Radford said:

Having established that everyone thinks McLennan is rubbish, what actual type of player is he? Where will/does he play and what are his supposed attributes?

Witty answers serve a purpose but some serious ones would be appreciated as well.

In his earlier days, Connor could occasionally look "unplayable" - recall his performances turning deficits at home to Livi/ St Mirren into wins, then there was the cup replay goal at Ibrox. 

He would still have matches where it seemed his laces were tied together, but some put that down to typical erratic wide player and most were okay with him getting an extended deal in the latter McInnes days.

Nowadays though, all he seems to do is run into the back of players and foul them, or miscontrol it and let the ball run of play. He's gone backwards at an alarming rate of knots, but maybe this move will revive him.

Edited by tarapoa

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

His brain and feet aren't connected, he can run about a bit but more likely to trip over the ball than have any end product.

12 minutes ago, Radford said:

If you could somehow tap into the player that broke into the side a few years ago you might be into something. He never had the greatest quality but through sheer directness and aggression on the ball he could provide a spark to a pedestrian performance. His instinct was always to either beat his man or get a cross in early. 

Unfortunately he lost that at some point, he went back to playing safe, more likely to lay it back to his full back then get the ball in the box or beat a man. His touch can be very poor, he’s not the quickest either. 

He will give you work rate and will track back but loads of players in Scotland can do that. If he’s coming into to add quality and goals in the final third I suspect you’ll be disappointed. 

21 minutes ago, Radford said:

Fast and strong but with a poor first touch and not a great football brain either.

I think he'd make a better striker than a winger but my honest opinion is he'll drop down the leagues. 

Sounds similar to Michael O'Halloran, who although not the player he was when he returned under Tommy Wright, has regressed massively under the management of Callum Davidson.

I look forward to the bullshit he tries to feed us in the media today.

45 minutes ago, Radford said:

Personally I think McLennan is more a Cove Rangers type player than a St Johnstone one. He will probably do one or two good things in a game but he usually runs into defenders or tries to beat 2 men when 1 would be enough.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think on the whole that’s a good window, albeit we’re yet to fully assess all of the signings. I’m glad we got rid of so much dross and we look a lot more potent going forward. 

I didn’t expect to come out of this window with us being the finished article though, I feel we’ve done the core business we needed to and we can hopefully add to it going forward. 

Aye. There's always a sense of 'missing out' when your club aren't doing anything on deadline day. Ironically you're only really signing player at the deadline if you've not managed to do much business or you've lost a good player late in the day. Has to be viewed as a success at this point.

56 minutes ago, Radford said:

I always got the sense Derek tried to coach him too much. If you give him a ball and tell him to hit the byline then he's more than capable. We started cutting back and then crossing the ball in. He was always on his week foot or didn't have a chance to cross so would play it back to the defender. 

Sorry but that’s nonsense. You can sign a free agent outside the window as long as they were released before the end of the relevant transfer window.
International clearance has nothing to do with it.

You’re right, I’d got it confused with something else. Talking sh*te as per [emoji28]

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Sounds similar to Michael O'Halloran, who although not the player he was when he returned under Tommy Wright, has regressed massively under the management of Callum Davidson.

I look forward to the bullshit he tries to feed us in the media today.

I'd be surprised if, at the end of the loan deal, St Johnstone seek to make the deal permanent; however, I've no ill will against McLennan and hope he does well. 

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

and most were okay with him getting an extended deal in the latter McInnes days.

I put that down, in part, to the fact that the Rat MkII (Wright) had just left for Sevco and everyone was pleased to see a young player commit his future to the club.

However, you're right, he definitely wasn't viewed as negatively as he is now back in January 2021, which could give Saints fans hopes that he can have a positive effect on the club if he regains a bit of form with regular first team football.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

When McLennan came on as a sub, I always had the hope that he would do something special for us, and occasionally he did. But latterly he has shown very little, and in my mind is never a wing back. I really wish him well though and hope he turns his form around.

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Aye. There's always a sense of 'missing out' when your club aren't doing anything on deadline day. Ironically you're only really signing player at the deadline if you've not managed to do much business or you've lost a good player late in the day. Has to be viewed as a success at this point.

The other thing about deadline day is that it is only then that all the clubs down south finalise their squads and determine who they are happy to let go out on loan.

I was almost convinced that picking up some right-sided defensive cover out of all that wouldn't have been too taxing for Darren M and his network.

Overall the window has to be regarded as a positive - but we are clearly lighter in options in some areas than others, and need to keep our fingers crossed that defensive injuries are kept to a minimum (which is never the way it works with AFC).

There are still free agents I suppose, else Goodwin may need to put his boots on from time to time.

The fact McLennan gets gigs at premier league level teams is an indication of why Scotland isn’t very good at football. 
If he had worked at the round ball part of the game and less on the fitness/gym/ PlayStation or whatever it is he does with his time, he might be useful. 

13 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

The other thing about deadline day is that it is only then that all the clubs down south finalise their squads and determine who they are happy to let go out on loan.

I was almost convinced that picking up some right-sided defensive cover out of all that wouldn't have been too taxing for Darren M and his network.

Overall the window has to be regarded as a positive - but we are clearly lighter in options in some areas than others, and need to keep our fingers crossed that defensive injuries are kept to a minimum (which is never the way it works with AFC).

There are still free agents I suppose, else Goodwin may need to put his boots on from time to time.

I think when you are replacing the guts of an entire team it was probably unrealistic to come out of the window with a good first XI and adequate cover all over the pitch. 

It sounds like the club have made a choice not to add bodies for the sake of it. A gamble yes and one that may bite but I’m not going to be overly critical.

16 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Could be a CB on loan from Sunderland on the cards then.

Certainly we need somebody else in there unless Jim is going to rearrange the entire team everytime we play Celtic or have a CB injury/suspension.

It is quite concerning how many goals we are conceding from corners in the six-yard box too. You can pin much of the blame for two of them on Roos, but I assumed this would be an area Goodwin would be strong at managing.

37 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Certainly we need somebody else in there unless Jim is going to rearrange the entire team everytime we play Celtic or have a CB injury/suspension.

We have one game against Celtic between now and January when the window opens again. Even the league cup semis/final aren't until the new year, and the one game we do have isn't until after the world cup so i'd hope that Milne would have been established as an option by that point.