The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Nearly every player we wanted rid off Jim has shipped out and now his attention is on Bates and McLennan ,  expect them gone soon.   Fantastic turnaround in few months .Reading more about Roberts  and reasons he was playing lower leagues gives me lot more hope that he could indeed be great asset up top. .

Still think Ronan will end up here and with Barron back end August the squad gives me big hopes of great season ahead . .

8 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

E7xhrxUX0Ak-hxC.png.11c450e2ab926989ddcddc96e627d7a2.png

He scored the quickest hat-trick in English football when playing for Notts County against Sheffield Wednesday, recorded, I think, in 2 minutes and 15 seconds.

Classic St Mirren strip. They were wearing that when I went to my first game on March 3rd 1984 at Pittodrie.

20 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Successful league cup group results, 4 wins out of 4, no goals conceded. Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if we had had results like Hibs, St Mirren and St Johnstone. I wonder how we would have got on had Stephen Glass still been in charge, moot point, no doubt. Busy transfer window, too.

Probably get a hiding at Parkhead, but what's new?

I know it's very, very early days, but you must be hating our season so far. 😉

54 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Will maybe see if we can avoid becoming one of these opponents that the green cheeks absolutely annihilate on their 'flag day' before coming out with this patter.

Edited by tarapoa

49 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Nah, pleased so far, o.k. we should be expected to see off lower league opposition, but how many times have expectations been met this last 18 months?

I wasn't over enthused about Jim Goodwin's appointment, but, as always, was prepared to give him time and support him as the Dons' manager. Was starting to  wonder about the correctness of his appointment as we stumbled to the end of last season, but he seems to know what he wants re players etc and has gone about getting them.

We'll see how he fares out when the league starts, but I certainly don't anticipate a season like the last one. (Not that I anticipated that last season would turn out the way it did.)

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Will maybe see if we can avoid becoming one of these opponents that the green cheeks absolutely annihilate on their 'flag day' before coming out with this patter.

Hence why I said "it's very, very early days".

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Nah, pleased so far, o.k. we should be expected to see off lower league opposition, but how many times have expectations been met this last 18 months?

I wasn't over enthused about Jim Goodwin's appointment, but, as always, was prepared to give him time and support him as the Dons' manager. Was starting to  wonder about the correctness of his appointment as we stumbled to the end of last season, but he seems to know what he wants re players etc and has gone about getting them.

We'll see how he fares out when the league starts, but I certainly don't anticipate a season like the last one. (Not that I anticipated that last season would turn out the way it did.)

Strangely, I am more inclined towards your normal way of thinking. We've done really well but we have given away easy chances to the opposition in all four matches. I'm just not sure about the new defence, apart from Scales, and am really worried about  Richardson, Hancock and Roos on Sunday. I'm desperate to be proved wrong, but I would be a lot happier to be starting with any of our following five league matches than Celtic away. I'll be back to my positive self after Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Strangely, I am more inclined towards your normal way of thinking. We've done really well but we have given away easy chances to the opposition in all four matches. I'm just not sure about the new defence, apart from Scales, and am really worried about  Richardson, Hancock and Roos on Sunday. I'm desperate to be proved wrong, but I would be a lot happier to be starting with any of our following five league matches than Celtic away. I'll be back to my positive self after Sunday. 

Yes, I've read a lot of this, and I've obviously no idea as I haven't seen us play. Nevertheless, despite all the worry and angst, no goals conceded yet. Anything less than a 7 or 8 goal scudding against them could nearly be considered a win, so let's take it from there.

23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Yes, I've read a lot of this, and I've obviously no idea as I haven't seen us play. Nevertheless, despite all the worry and angst, no goals conceded yet. Anything less than a 7 or 8 goal scudding against them could nearly be considered a win, so let's take it from there.

Not sure I would go quite that far. I would love a good performance with plenty of taking the game to Celtic, and one or three points.

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Not sure I would go quite that far. I would love a good performance with plenty of taking the game to Celtic, and one or three points.

Very much so.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I hope that's the plan. It looks like that wasn't so at the weekend with only 8 efforts on goal (6 on target) and 5 corners against Raith. (League) Cup half empty or half full? I'll keep my whinging and greeting for a few weeks yet.

I hope that's the plan. It looks like that wasn't so at the weekend with only 8 efforts on goal (6 on target) and 5 corners against Raith. (League) Cup half empty or half full? I'll keep my whinging and greeting for a few weeks yet.

Raith sat in against us so it was tough to break them down. We maybe we’re a little lucky to go in 2 up at the break but we could easily have had 5 if Ramirez had his shooting boots on.

I expect we'll be less adventurous against Celtic, but still very unconvinced by our defensive capabilities. 
Maybe they'll be rusty. 

Celtic generally get up for games against the likes of ourselves, Hearts or Hibs if any are actually showing a bit of form.

The other times they seem to try that bit harder domestically are on the first or last games of the season when they have all that flag-waving stuff.

Still if we go in with the attitude of a Cluj, Ferencvaros or Bodø Glimt and aren’t mentally beaten before kicking a ball, then who knows?

Goodwin suggested at the Q&A tonight that we now have the attacking players to cause them problems and will be positive - we’ll see how that goes.

15 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Celtic generally get up for games against the likes of ourselves, Hearts or Hibs if any are actually showing a bit of form.

The other times they seem to try that bit harder domestically are on the first or last games of the season when they have all that flag-waving stuff.

Still if we go in with the attitude of a Cluj, Ferencvaros or Bodø Glimt and aren’t mentally beaten before we kick a ball, then who knows?

Goodwin suggested at the Q&A tonight that we now have the attacking players to cause them problems and will be positive - we’ll see how that goes.

9-1