The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Mcginn seems like he was an easy option for having an extra body in the building at a time when we were really short

The Derek Young dilemma...

McGinn probably isn't worth his place in the first XI but he's still good enough to provide 'moments' of excellence such as the lay-off for the goal.

Interestingly, he combined with another object of blame for yesterday, Jack Gurr.

Gurr had a reasonable first half yesterday and a very good match at Livingston the previous week. His calamitous second half display consisted of initially being skinned, bringing the player down, allowing his man to outfight him at the front post for the first goal, and waiting for the ball in the box whilst Dario Zanatta caught him unawares for the second goal.

Although Gurr must accept the majority of blame for both goals, the second goal in particular wasn't his own doing in my opinion. We don't know if other defenders gave him a shout that there was a player moving in on his blind side and Lewis, in my view, could have done better with the initial shot.

However, apportioning blame (this isn't directed at you @Dons_1988 just general thoughts) isn't going to help anyone nor will it change yesterday's result.

Despite traveling down yesterday, I haven't felt the same anger as others obviously have about yesterday's result. Of course, the League Cup is one of the competitions we have a fair shout of winning but the fact remains we've only won it twice since the 1980s.

My view is that yesterday was a setback but not one that should cause massive introspective angst amongst the fans We controlled the first-half and had a horrendous second-half. It will be something for the management team and players to discuss as will the manager's use of rotation and substitutes.

However, we have an excellent opportunity to bury the Stark's Park stumble with a stirring performance and result in Baku to set-up an electric atmosphere at Pittodrie next week.

COYR

Edited by Bogbrush1903

13 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

The Derek Young dilemma...

McGinn probably isn't worth his place in the first XI but he's still good enough to provide 'moments' of excellence such as the lay-off for the goal.

Interestingly, he combined with another object of blame for yesterday, Jack Gurr.

Gurr had a reasonable first half yesterday and a very good match at Livingston the previous week. His calamitous second half display consisted of initially being skinned, bringing the player down, allowing his man to outfight him at the front post for the first goal, and waiting for the ball in the box whilst Dario Zanatta caught him unawares for the second goal.

Although Gurr must accept the majority of blame for both goals, the second goal in particular wasn't his own doing in my opinion. We don't know if other defenders gave him a shout that there was a player moving in on his blind side and Lewis, in my view, could have done better with the initial shot.

However, apportioning blame (this isn't directed at you @Dons_1988 just general thoughts) isn't going to help anyone nor will it change yesterday's result.

Despite traveling down yesterday, I haven't felt the same anger as others obviously have about yesterday's result. Of course, the League Cup is one of the competitions we have a fair shout of winning but the fact remains we've only won it twice since the 1980s.

My view is that yesterday was a setback but not one that should cause massive introspective angst amongst the fans We controlled the first-half and had a horrendous second-half. It will be something for the management team and players to discuss as will the manager's use of rotation and substitutes.

However, we have an excellent opportunity to bury the Stark's Park stumble with a stirring performance and result in Baku to set-up an electric atmosphere at Pittodrie next week.

COYR

I take your point about apportioning blame but I disagree on two things:

- gurr was ‘ok’ at livi. He made a few reasonable bursts down that right hand side but his crossing is hit and hope stuff at best. 

- I can’t let him off that easy for the 2nd goal. If he’s unaware of what’s around him then he needs to just get rid of it. It was amateur stuff. 

The rest of your post is all fair. 

ETA - Lewis is definitely at fault for the 2nd too and the boy gets his shot off far too easy in the first instance so it’s not just gurr but I have to say again I think he’s pish. 

Edited by Dons_1988

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Exactly. It's not rocket science.

Dunno, I'd rather my club won trophies in the present than hypothetical ones sometime in the future.

It's not just the quality of the players, it's the mix.  The problem with fringe players is that not being a first pick saps confidence.  These guys tend not to have the belief to just come into the side and play at the top of their game.  Likewise new guys who haven't had a chance to establish themselves at the club are likely to be much more nervous.  If you're Andy Considine you can make a mistake and it will make virtually no difference to how you are perceived.  If you're Teddy Jenks or Jack Gurr an early mistake can define your whole stay at the club.  An otherwise established side can carry a couple of players trying to play their way into the side, but yesterday we fielded almost a whole team that would have probably been disappointed by the amount of game time they've had this season (exceptions Lewis, McRorie, perhaps Hayes).

I'm sure playing to their capabilities the guys we put on the park yesterday should have had the beating of Raith.  But solid reasons why they might not play to their capabilities, or might lack confidence or might panic if things started to get a bit hairy should have been evident to a good manager.  Glass either missed the obvious, or took a massive gamble that blew up in his face.

Love Aberdeen fans: win two in a row and we are amazing best team in the league, lose a game and it is a disaster. 

Yesterday was a tough one to take but not a surprise with us needing to rest players for the most important game of the season and the players look tired playing twice a week when we put the big guns on. Sadly it has come at a cost losing another two important players. 

I do think Glass has a difficult job to achieve the results that our previous management got but the management team needed refreshing so lets giving him the time to rebuild a very poor squad from last season. 

Too early to judge how this season is going to go but lets see when we are back to playing 1 game a week. We started the league season very well though - don't fancy us against Hearts :(

Edited by betting competition

Dunno, I'd rather my club won trophies in the present than hypothetical ones sometime in the future.

So would everyone, but that’s irrelevant here.

It’s not as simple as making a choice of trying to win the league cup vs European group stage football. We’re in the middle of a run of 10 games in 31 days so we’re going to have to rotate the team at some point. Even then, we still had 9 established Premiership players starting yesterday, despite making 7 changes. That should have been enough on the day.

If we’d got through yesterday with a full strength side, we’d then be going out out to Baku to play a huge European tie in 35 degree heat with a knackered squad. There needs to be a balance, although we probably changed too much yesterday.

Sad news about Hoban. Thought the fact he’d managed a season meant he could prolong his career - but maybe the dip from the first half of last season to the second half told us he had never fully recovered.
Judging by the Crewe manager’s comments he may not be in a good place right now and hope he’s okay.

On another note, should the Kennedy transfer now be delayed given it looks like Hayes and Hedges will be out for both Qarabag matches? Hedges injury and the way it happened just seemed to sum up what happens to us in terms of injuries - player the manager didn’t want to use comes on and gets this bizarre innocuous hamstring tear/pull in a desperate and futile attempt to charge down the keeper.

I actually thought Jenks looked very good in the first half yesterday, after virtual anonymity from him in his previous appearances, other than the fine strike at Livingston.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

- gurr was ‘ok’ at livi. He made a few reasonable bursts down that right hand side but his crossing is hit and hope stuff at best. 

Our crossing in general is a significant issue. 

There was a time when we had the triumvate of McGinn, Hayes and Rooney, and it seem liked half our goals came from crosses from the first 2 and a finish from the latter. 

And then it all stopped. McGinn rarely plays, and I couldn't tell you the last time that a Hayes cross reached a man in a red short. Johnny still tries like a bear, but he's lost a bit of pace and rarely beats a man.....his crosses are almost always, as you said, 'hit and hope'. 

Nobody yesterday even attempted to beat a man until Calvin Ramsey came on and instantly tied a couple of Rovers' guys in knots. 

It's been an ongoing issue for a couple of years now, and it looks set to continue. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Our crossing in general is a significant issue. 

There was a time when we had the triumvate of McGinn, Hayes and Rooney, and it seem liked half our goals came from crosses from the first 2 and a finish from the latter. 

And then it all stopped. McGinn rarely plays, and I couldn't tell you the last time that a Hayes cross reached a man in a red short. Johnny still tries like a bear, but he's lost a bit of pace and rarely beats a man.....his crosses are almost always, as you said, 'hit and hope'. 

Nobody yesterday even attempted to beat a man until Calvin Ramsey came on and instantly tied a couple of Rovers' guys in knots. 

It's been an ongoing issue for a couple of years now, and it looks set to continue. 

The main reason I liked Greg Leigh was because he had that burst of pace and could fire in a cross. Unfortunately he wasn't great defensively or skillful enough to play further forward.

Most of our crosses do seem to come from deep or we take too long to get the cross in.

One of my bug bears of the latter Derek years was our absolute reliance on crossing. 

Obviously the quality wasn’t good enough but getting the ball wide and putting a cross in seemed to be plan A, B and C, just from varying angles. 

Not that I’m against crossing per se, it was just so rare that we actually opened teams up. 

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

One of my bug bears of the latter Derek years was our absolute reliance on crossing. 

Obviously the quality wasn’t good enough but getting the ball wide and putting a cross in seemed to be plan A, B and C, just from varying angles. 

Not that I’m against crossing per se, it was just so rare that we actually opened teams up. 

There was a few times he said we didn't cross enough either 🤣

Guest Bob Mahelp
47 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It did feel like if we just put in 200 crosses then surely one of them will stick. 

Yeah, we seem to work on the pulling burds in nightclubs principle. Ask 100 and 1 will be desperate enough, surely. 

Yeah, we seem to work on the pulling burds in nightclubs principle. Ask 100 and 1 will be desperate enough, surely. 

They managed to do a good job of looking very desperate at 10 to 2 yesterday.

Could easily have been Ritzys circa 1988.