The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Really don't get why we needed to make so many changes. We were at home on Thursday, Hibernian in Croatia yet they went with a strong team today.
At least we've avoided the inevitable thrashing at Celtic Park in the next round.

Who do Hibs play in the next round on Thursday night?

Would we have definitely been ball #6 ?

Guest Bob Mahelp

Glass effectively has one job. He has to take the solid foundations that McInnes built, and improve on them. 

He has to win semi finals, and then win finals. He has to shatter the glass ceiling (no pun intended) of the European qualifying round. 

If he can't do that, what was the point of swapping him for McInnes ??? 

His domestic cup record so far is a 3-0 humiliation at home to the Arabs, and today's shambles. Hardly an auspicious start. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

5 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Speak for yourself. The European money would be a a game changer for the club.

Funnily enough we need money to get the bodies in. How do you propose we do that?

I’d happily sacrifice the League for this season if we beat Qarabag and we are guaranteed at least £4m.

But that’s a one-off.

Domestic cups are what clubs like Aberdeen have to target big time. 
Resting 7 players in one of those tournaments was probably 3 or 4 too many. 

39 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Who do Hibs play in the next round on Thursday night?

Would we have definitely been ball #6 ?

Hibs are still in the League Cup with a winnable quarter final at Tannadice.

I would much rather be still in the Cup personally. We won't be getting any further in Europe unless Qarabag are total shite.

Hibs are still in the League Cup with a winnable quarter final at Tannadice.
I would much rather be still in the Cup personally. We won't be getting any further in Europe unless Qarabag are total shite.

That is the conundrum - the fact they decided to put the League Cup right in the middle of two European rounds was always going to be an issue if we were still in it.

To be honest, the side he put out actually played the nicest passing football all season bar the Häcken home game.
The warning signs were still there in that Raith still created two good chances in the first half though - and that we had not forced their keeper to do anything else of note.

I would maybe put the second half down to attitude more than personnel, other than the fact the Gurr was hugely liable for both - but again perhaps a consequence of McGlynn being shrewd enough to spot how they could hurt us, and the whole thing turning from relatively controlled football into a clusterf**k of desperate subs, long balls on to Berra’s napper and the predictable injuries that the team selection was designed to avoid.

34 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Glass effectively has one job. He has to take the solid foundations that McInnes built, and improve on them. 

He has to win semi finals, and then win finals. He has to shatter the glass ceiling (no pun intended) of the European qualifying round. 

His domestic cup record so far is a 3-0 humiliation at home to the Arabs, and today's shambles. Hardly an auspicious start. 

Let's not forget how dreadful we were in the final few months of the McInnes regime. McInnes needed swapped and the chairman chose Glass.

The Raith Rovers result can be swept under the carpet if we take care of Qarabag in the PO round.

If we don't then he'll no doubt come under scrutiny for fielding a weakened team against Raith.

It's questionable whether so many players need rested at this moment in the season. For instance, I wouldn't have taken McKenzie, Considine or Ferguson out today and I'm not sure about starting with McGinn this season. I wouldn't have given him another year but he might still have a role as an impact sub.

And I was concerned when he made the three subs with Brown, Ferguson and Hedges coming on.

However, for me, all will be forgiven if we can get past Qarabag.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

He’s already improved on McInnes’ 7 years in Europe by getting us to the play-off round.

2 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

He’s already improved on McInnes’ 7 years in Europe by getting us to the play-off round.

I’m really not interested in a mcinnes v glass debate as I actually like/liked both, but this isn’t really fair. 

We are in the playoff round of a lower tier competition. 

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Gurr was at fault for both goals but I think this is an over reaction.

*Partially at fault, I should say. The defending was pretty poor for the free kick. I would need to see the second goal again, it was at the opposite side of the ground and I can't recall it fully.

It might be, he might yet prove me wrong but I’ve seen enough to think he is not and will not be good enough to play for us. 

Wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong, but I always try and give players the benefit of the doubt. I just don’t see it. 

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m really not interested in a mcinnes v glass debate as I actually like/liked both, but this isn’t really fair. 

We are in the playoff round of a lower tier competition. 

You are right, but I'd say the standard of opposition between the two has generally been fairly similar (although with the caveat that the draw this season has been a bit kinder to us than some under McInnes). 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I’d happily sacrifice the League for this season if we beat Qarabag and we are guaranteed at least £4m.

But that’s a one-off.

Domestic cups are what clubs like Aberdeen have to target big time. 
Resting 7 players in one of those tournaments was probably 3 or 4 too many. 

Sorry, I meant the League Cup, not the league 

19 minutes ago, Arnie said:

Where’s this high press glass keeps going on about never seen anything today 

You’ll never get that with McGinn & JET as part of a front 3.

Here’s another thing. 
After we got humped 3-0 by Dundee Utd last season in the Cup, fatigue was blamed. 
Glass said he’d fix that in the summer so that we could play with a high intensity three games in a week.

So, how come he’s dicked about with the team at Livi & at Raith?

Made 13/14 changes?

We got out of jail at Livi & got papped out one of the two tournaments we can win today because of it.

Questions should be asked about that. 

He clearly hasn’t fixed it 

Guest Bob Mahelp

My post wasn't meant to draw comparison between McInnes and Glass. The last months under McInnes were dreadful and it was time to go. 

However, say what you like, McInnes's record was solid. A series of top 2,3 and 4th place finishes, a ream of semi finals and finals, and respectable performances in Europe. 

When it comes down to, the fact is that for Glass to be a success, he has to improve on the statistics above. That's really what he'll ultimately be judged on. 

There are plenty of signs that he's going in the right direction, but he simply can't afford to chisel away at the goodwill that he's built up by putting out half-hearted shite like he did today in one of the only 2 competitions we realistically have a chance of winning. 

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

We’ve got to be realistic here. The club need to get as much money in as possible and, at the moment, the priority has to be to do everything we can to get into the group stages of the Conference League. 

I don't think it's that simple.  Yes the money is huge and it yes of course we'd be willing to lose to Hearts and Raith if that meant beating Qarabag.

But you don't get to make that choice.  The most you can do by changing your approach to the domestic games is tweak the probabilities a very small amount and in an unpredictable way.  Resting important players might tweak them one way, damaging confidence by losing domestic games tweak them another.

Given the recent pedigree of both clubs, Qarabag are going to be pretty solid favourites going into this tie.  They're a richer club with a settled and experienced group of players and coach. They've made the group stages of the Champions League or the Europa League 7 years in a row while we haven't even made the play-off position since 2007.  We'll likely have to play the away leg in very high temperatures they're used to and we aren't.

That's not to say we can't win, but the balance of probability is we'll be out of Europe in 11 days time, not because our manager has made an arse of it but because we're up against a financially bigger club with better players and better experience.  If we've sacrificed a domestic cup, and lost a six pointer to one of our main rivals for 3rd in the meantime our chances of a good season will be a lot shakier.

If we beat Qarabag over two legs that will almost count as a successful season in itself.  Anything we've done to increase the possibility of it happening will look smart with the benefit of hindsight.  But I'm far from convinced that seriously damaging our domestic campaign to improve our second favourite's chances in Europe by a percentage point or two is a clever move.

I was cursing McCrorie for the second goal in real time but presumably it was Gurr who decided to not attack the ball? That’s absolute basics. Forgivable if he was 18, but he’s mid 20s and just looks inexperienced. We shouldn’t be accepting that. It’s an atrocious signing tbh.