The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

A confidence sapping defeat against Raith will do far more damage to our chances against Qarabag than an extra game for a few of our better players.

For all his good start this season Glass won't last long if he can't sort out the defence.

Those are the parts I was referring to.

For me, our two worst attacking performances have been against Livi and today. In both games we've played McGeouch in the 'Brown' role. He is far too happy to take the ball under no pressure then immediately give it back to Gallagher. Pointless. He's not taken anyone out of position and all he's managed to do is let the opposition get back in to their shape. Brown takes the ball under pressure and creates a gap further forward that the defender can then pass in to. 

A far bigger issue for me at the moment than the defence.

Should also say if we recruited another centre half then mccrorie would be a good option in that sitting role ahead of mcgeouch. 

19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

A confidence sapping defeat against Raith will do far more damage to our chances against Qarabag than an extra game for a few of our better players.

For all his good start this season Glass won't last long if he can't sort out the defence.

Those are the parts I was referring to.

For me, our two worst attacking performances have been against Livi and today. In both games we've played McGeouch in the 'Brown' role. He is far too happy to take the ball under no pressure then immediately give it back to Gallagher. Pointless. He's not taken anyone out of position and all he's managed to do is let the opposition get back in to their shape. Brown takes the ball under pressure and creates a gap further forward that the defender can then pass in to. 

A far bigger issue for me at the moment than the defence.

I don't see any exaggeration.  Everybody agrees confidence is massive in football.  Until the Raith game there was a feelgood factor at play that would have stood us in good stead against Qarabag.  That will have largely evaporated.   I have not the slightest doubt that if we'd played our full strength team today and won the game we'd be going into the next game in a much better frame of mind,  which would have mattered for more than a couple of key players having played an extra game.

As for my point about the defence, I think it's simple common sense.  I think we'll find it harder to score in Scotland than we have so far in Europe.  We won't have a good season with a leaky defence.  It's a results driven game and if Glass doesn't find solutions he won't last.

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Should also say if we recruited another centre half then mccrorie would be a good option in that sitting role ahead of mcgeouch. 

Is McCrorie good enough on the ball to be the focal point though?

McGeouch has the talent but lacks the confidence IMO.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

He’s a willing runner but his crossing is dreadful and his defending today is pretty unforgivable to be honest. I’d happily never see him play again. 

Gurr was at fault for both goals but I think this is an over reaction.

*Partially at fault, I should say. The defending was pretty poor for the free kick. I would need to see the second goal again, it was at the opposite side of the ground and I can't recall it fully.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

He’s a willing runner but his crossing is dreadful and his defending today is pretty unforgivable to be honest. I’d happily never see him play again. 

He’s shite, let’s be honest.

At 26, he’s hardly played a senior game at a serious level.

There’s a reason for that. 

He cost us both goals & the cup tie. 

The less we see of him, the better. 

4 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

He’s shite, let’s be honest.

At 26, he’s hardly played a senior game at a serious level.

There’s a reason for that. 

He cost us both goals & the cup tie. 

The less we see of him, the better. 

He cost us the cup tie all by himself did he?

I can't recall us creating many chances in the second half

Edited by Bogbrush1903

16 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Gurr was at fault for both goals but I think this is an over reaction.

*Partially at fault, I should say. The defending was pretty poor for the free kick. I would need to see the second goal again, it was at the opposite side of the ground and I can't recall it fully.

He gave away the free kick. 
He dropped the man who scored from the free kick.

He defended like a schoolboy at the 2nd goal, letting the ball come across him instead of clearing with his left.

Basic stuff. 

He should’ve been sent off.

Apart from that he was great. 

Gurr in the first half looked decent in a functioning side and managed to pop in a couple of bonnie crosses that deserved someone on the end of them.

However, his lack of basic defending on three occasions - getting done easily for the free kick at the first, then at both goals, ultimately cost the team today.

As a professional footballer, he will absolutely cringe at the second goal surely?……..or do you get half an hour to wait for the ball in your own box when playing for the Chattanooga Cherry Pit Spitters?

4 hours ago, DrewDon said:

If it's a choice between beating Qarabag over the two legs and beating Raith today, I'm taking the former every day of the week, but still would have been nice to win today - and, really, the team starting the match should have been capable of doing that. 

Some of the fringe players gave Glass good reason not to trust them today. Gurr was a weird signing and unfortunately looked every inch the "Georgia Gwinnett Grizzlies" defender today. 

Hindsight (or whatever in this case) is a quality managers can’t rely on but obviously that only works if you bear Qarabag in the tie. If you end up out then this result will really reflect badly on Glass.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Jack Gurr sounds like and plays like a made up footballer.

In the RedTV pre-season Q+A someone asked why we had signed Atlanta Utd's 5th choice RB. (I was surprised they read it out)

Glass was clearly irked by the question, but so far whoever asked the question seems to be more sage than the manager was here.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Is McCrorie good enough on the ball to be the focal point though?

McGeouch has the talent but lacks the confidence IMO.

McGeouch I thought was unlucky to be subbed today. Plenty of others were worse than him. As for Gurr he's Highland League standard.

Really don't get why we needed to make so many changes. We were at home on Thursday, Hibernian in Croatia yet they went with a strong team today.

At least we've avoided the inevitable thrashing at Celtic Park in the next round.

13 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

McGeouch I thought was unlucky to be subbed today. Plenty of others were worse than him. As for Gurr he's Highland League standard.

Really don't get why we needed to make so many changes. We were at home on Thursday, Hibernian in Croatia yet they went with a strong team today.

At least we've avoided the inevitable thrashing at Celtic Park in the next round.

McGeouch, McGinn and Hayes were awful. JET not much better, along with McLennan. 

Hibs are out of Europe. He was resting players for Thursday, not giving them a break after the game on Thursday.

8 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I can’t understand why we brought McLennan off and pushed Gurr up to right wing. Having both him and Ramsey stuck right on the sideline didn’t work at all, if anything Gurr just occupied the space that Ramsey could have been driving into.

Think McLennan was injured