The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Cash in on jack gurr imo

Gurr is a tough one. Thought he done ok in the first half was was woeful at the second goal. 

If we get a much better right back then he's going to want to play more games. Ramsay needs to play as often as possible without burning him out.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Gurr is a tough one. Thought he done ok in the first half was was woeful at the second goal. 

If we get a much better right back then he's going to want to play more games. Ramsay needs to play as often as possible without burning him out.

He’s a willing runner but his crossing is dreadful and his defending today is pretty unforgivable to be honest. I’d happily never see him play again. 

If it's a choice between beating Qarabag over the two legs and beating Raith today, I'm taking the former every day of the week, but still would have been nice to win today - and, really, the team starting the match should have been capable of doing that. 

Some of the fringe players gave Glass good reason not to trust them today. Gurr was a weird signing and unfortunately looked every inch the "Georgia Gwinnett Grizzlies" defender today. 

6 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

If it's a choice between beating Qarabag over the two legs and beating Raith today, I'm taking the former every day of the week, but still would have been nice to win today - and, really, the team starting the match should have been capable of doing that. 

Some of the fringe players gave Glass good reason not to trust them today. Gurr was a weird signing and unfortunately looked every inch the "Georgia Gwinnett Grizzlies" defender today. 

Exactly this.

A gamble that misfired badly.  A confidence sapping defeat against Raith will do far more damage to our chances against Qarabag than an extra game for a few of our better players.

Scottish teams, even down to the level of Raith, have perfected the art of making it hard for the opposition to score and hoping for scraps at the other end.  We've got away with being leaky at the back in Europe by outscoring teams that aren't as single-mindedly set up to prevent the opposition playing.  We won't get away with it in Scotland.  For all his good start this season Glass won't last long if he can't sort out the defence.

2 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

A gamble that misfired badly.  A confidence sapping defeat against Raith will do far more damage to our chances against Qarabag than an extra game for a few of our better players.

Scottish teams, even down to the level of Raith, have perfected the art of making it hard for the opposition to score and hoping for scraps at the other end.  We've got away with being leaky at the back in Europe by outscoring teams that aren't as single-mindedly set up to prevent the opposition playing.  We won't get away with it in Scotland.  For all his good start this season Glass won't last long if he can't sort out the defence.

I know we all like to overexaggerate after a defeat but that's a bit much.

14 hours ago, Raidernation said:

I’ll admit I was concerned, but I’m going to give Glass a chance.

14 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

I’m fully on board with “Glassy” as I’ve decided to call him

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Lads, it’s Stephen Class. 

4 hours ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Gents, it's Stephen "Haulin' Ass" Glass.

CE7F19F5-3C1D-4343-BE30-0DFC7989B1DF.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Aye I think the way we play lends itself to losing whenever the quality and intensity of our attacking play isn’t there. The art of ‘if you can’t win don’t lose’ is important over the course of a season. 

Rotating was absolutely the right thing to do. If we get to the Europa Conference groups then nobody is going to give a f**k about the league cup this season.
What is has shown is that several of the squad players are not good enough.

100% rite Europe far more important,if we can get to group stages who gives a flying f**k about today

Speak for yourself. The cups are our bread and butter, Europe is a bonus, for me. 

We need bodies in, as we've said for weeks, centre half and up front, as soon as possible. 
how much money will we make in Europe group stages compared to cup [emoji848]

44 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Speak for yourself. The cups are our bread and butter, Europe is a bonus, for me. 

We need bodies in, as we've said for weeks, centre half and up front, as soon as possible. 

We’ve got to be realistic here. The club need to get as much money in as possible and, at the moment, the priority has to be to do everything we can to get into the group stages of the Conference League. 

27 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I know we all like to overexaggerate after a defeat but that's a bit much.

It’s not far wrong. Scottish football has plenty of teams that are good at spoiling other teams rhythm and attacking play. 

If teams can do that to you and you’re gifting them 3 or 4 good quality chances in every game you have a serious problem. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s not far wrong. Scottish football has plenty of teams that are good at spoiling other teams rhythm and attacking play. 

If teams can do that to you and you’re gifting them 3 or 4 good quality chances in every game you have a serious problem. 

A confidence sapping defeat against Raith will do far more damage to our chances against Qarabag than an extra game for a few of our better players.

For all his good start this season Glass won't last long if he can't sort out the defence.

Those are the parts I was referring to.

For me, our two worst attacking performances have been against Livi and today. In both games we've played McGeouch in the 'Brown' role. He is far too happy to take the ball under no pressure then immediately give it back to Gallagher. Pointless. He's not taken anyone out of position and all he's managed to do is let the opposition get back in to their shape. Brown takes the ball under pressure and creates a gap further forward that the defender can then pass in to. 

A far bigger issue for me at the moment than the defence.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

A confidence sapping defeat against Raith will do far more damage to our chances against Qarabag than an extra game for a few of our better players.

For all his good start this season Glass won't last long if he can't sort out the defence.

Those are the parts I was referring to.

For me, our two worst attacking performances have been against Livi and today. In both games we've played McGeouch in the 'Brown' role. He is far too happy to take the ball under no pressure then immediately give it back to Gallagher. Pointless. He's not taken anyone out of position and all he's managed to do is let the opposition get back in to their shape. Brown takes the ball under pressure and creates a gap further forward that the defender can then pass in to. 

A far bigger issue for me at the moment than the defence.

Gifting 3 or 4 chances a game isn’t just an issue of the back 4. I agree that mcgeouch isn’t giving us either the protection brown does or the transitions we need either. It’s all part of it. As ultimately without the transitions we’ll end up conceding possession in dangerous areas. 

An absolute disaster of a day. 
Out the first cup at the first hurdle. 
Hayes looks goosed.

Hedges looks like he will be out for weeks. 
Should ensure he doesn’t transfer anywhere on this window, but also if he doesn’t sign a new contract then it means losing him for nothing.