The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

8 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

That's the issue. People look back with rose tinted glasses. Bernard was a good deal at the time. He'd played in the new Premier League in England and should really have gone on to get 40-50 Scotland caps if he wasn't perma injured

I think the one looking back on Paul Bernard with rose tinted glasses is you if you believe that Aberdeen paying over £1 million was a good deal. It was deals like that which nullified us competitively until Willie and Elaine Donald wrote off the debt. That was a timespan of around 15 years.

Bernard wasn't very good but leaving the player and his broken body aside, we shouldn't have been shelling out £1 million plus, presumably, hefty wages on anyone.

I'm not saying Bernard was the only one, someone mentions the Bulgarians above, Craig Hignett et al, they shouldn't have been in our ball park and most came up here with the wrong attitude.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Although it's bad for coefficient points  "the Rangers" result must be screwing their finances. Hopefully, we can win our next few games and get to the group stages as a leveller. This and the money saved on physio costs for Wright and the rat over time should hopefully help us get closer to them.

I think the one looking back on Paul Bernard with rose tinted glasses is you if you believe that Aberdeen paying over £1 million was a good deal. It was deals like that which nullified us competitively until Willie and Elaine Donald wrote off the debt. That was a timespan of around 15 years.
Bernard wasn't very good but leaving the player and his broken body aside, we shouldn't have been shelling out £1 million plus, presumably, hefty wages on anyone.
I'm not saying Bernard was the only one, someone mentions the Bulgarians above, Craig Hignett et al, they shouldn't have been in our ball park and most came up here with the wrong attitude.
That was the market at the time. People also forget the significant fees we paid for the likes of Richardson, Shearer, Windass and Dodds. A few years earlier did we not pay the guts of a million for Gillhaus. Aye ok Gillhaus was a proven class act and all of the above turned out as great players for us but Bernard had the potential to be that for us too.

Guest Bob Mahelp
35 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

That was the market at the time. People also forget the significant fees we paid for the likes of Richardson, Shearer, Windass and Dodds. A few years earlier did we not pay the guts of a million for Gillhaus. Aye ok Gillhaus was a proven class act and all of the above turned out as great players for us but Bernard had the potential to be that for us too.

Gillhaus was probably the most remarkable signing the club ever made.  We actually bought an international striker from the club that won the European cup. 

650k, and every penny of it was worth it.  And that was on top of signing Charlie Nicholas from Arsenal. 

What changed days...God, I miss how it was then. 

20 hours ago, betting competition said:

Worst transfer deal in our history: Dodds was well liked by the Aberdeen support and was scoring goals for us yet we managed to give Dundee United money and sign a player that wasn't as good. Robbie Winters wasn't a terrible player but the money we paid for him he wasn't the player that we should have got.

Those was the terrible days under Alex FUCKING Miller and didn't get that much better under Ebbe Skovdahl.  

If you have to mention that c**t, can you give him his full name? 😉

39 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Currently 12,500 sold with 5,500 left.

no surprise with the cheapest tickets for over 25's at £30.  Ridiculous pricing for first game back....surely they should have gone for a full house (like St Johnstone)

I sometimes think that clubs would rather have the place half full at full price, than 100% full at half price, even though they would get the increased sales of match programmes & at the food kiosks that come with a bigger crowd. Not to mention the improved atmosphere perhaps being of benefit to the team.

It's as if dropping prices would be an admission on their part that the product isn't value for money at £30 a skull - which it isn't.

4 hours ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

I sometimes think that clubs would rather have the place half full at full price, than 100% full at half price, even though they would get the increased sales of match programmes & at the food kiosks that come with a bigger crowd. Not to mention the improved atmosphere perhaps being of benefit to the team.

I agree with you up to a point, but the problem is that it's not as simple as "make tickets half price and fill the ground".  The Dons have slashed prices before and barely added 500-1000 to the crowd (and annoyed season ticket holders as well, sometimes).  Unfortunately we've got a pretty big non-active support and it's proven nearly impossible to get them off their arses.  I'm sure we all know heaps of folk who went to Parkred but haven't been to a Dons game since.  

12 minutes ago, resk said:

I agree with you up to a point, but the problem is that it's not as simple as "make tickets half price and fill the ground".  The Dons have slashed prices before and barely added 500-1000 to the crowd (and annoyed season ticket holders as well, sometimes).  Unfortunately we've got a pretty big non-active support and it's proven nearly impossible to get them off their arses.  I'm sure we all know heaps of folk who went to Parkred but haven't been to a Dons game since.  

Exactly this. The club will have performed a cost/benefit analysis taking into account factors such as expected attendance, how far we expect to progress in Europe, prize money for the current round etc, and arrived at a price they think will maximise their income. I would expect the PO round (should we progress) with larger prize money, and a greater probability of getting into the groups result in a reduction in ticket price. That'll be slightly counterbalanced by it being a bigger occasion, meaning they'll expect a packed crowd regardless.

Edited by Illgresi