The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

I know it’s early days. But are alarm bells of “this could easily descend into a farce” ringing to anyone else? 

Already? 

ghjghj.gif.d787a1315104586eb9a69075b253f649.gif

So far we have:

Confirmed

1. International Midfielder/coach 
  2. International defender
  3. back up striker

Rumours (love Fleetwood Mac btw)

1. A youngish right back on loan 
  2. An international striker.
  3. A  youngish soon to be international midfielder .
  4. L1/ Championship defender

What are you expecting at this stage realistically Monkman? 

4 hours ago, Jute said:

Saw that but even a 50% cut would still be sitting above what we pay normally. 

I'm not sure what constitutes a "major hit" or have a clue about what we pay "normally" and I also know SFA about his current financial situation but I do know Mr Burns is (as stated earlier) rarely far off the mark, which to me is the most surprising thing considering the rag he works for.😉

2 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

So we are trading a 17 International cap full back for a 25 year old geordie who has played one professional game. Fucking wow.

I don't get this Hernandez hype. Is it based solely on the fee (Atlanta's money anyway imo), his caps or his outstanding performance's in a red shirt?

7 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

I know it’s early days. But are alarm bells of “this could easily descend into a farce” ringing to anyone else? 

Since the moment Scott Brown was announced. Plus a defender who's been jailed for assault, a coach who's been done for a drink driving incident, the way Shay Logan left, the Ferguson transfer request... I don't have the feeling that we're going to be hiring the right people for team harmony and chemistry. Whatever else you think about McInnes, he generally built a team of good guys who worked well together and seemed proud to be here doing well (and that I was quite proud to have represent us) . In contrast to McGhee's era where I thought a lot of the players were arseholes, or the shambles of Brown making Foster captain. I can't think of a time I was embarrassed for our club in the whole McInnes era, and that's changing already. 

I can see us looking down the barrel of some messy banter years tbh. I hope I'm wrong though. 

5 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Already? 

ghjghj.gif.d787a1315104586eb9a69075b253f649.gif

So far we have:

Confirmed

1. International Midfielder/coach 
  2. International defender
  3. back up striker

Rumours (love Fleetwood Mac btw)

1. A youngish right back on loan 
  2. An international striker.
  3. A  youngish soon to be international midfielder .
  4. L1/ Championship defender

What are you expecting at this stage realistically Monkman? 

I'm not sure what constitutes a "major hit" or have a clue about what we pay "normally" and I also know SFA about his current financial situation but I do know Mr Burns is (as stated earlier) rarely far off the mark, which to me is the most surprising thing considering the rag he works for.😉

I don't get this Hernandez hype. Is it based solely on the fee (Atlanta's money anyway imo), his caps or his outstanding performance's in a red shirt?

It’s probably unfair to say this early when I can’t even articulate it. 
I think primarily it’s because I can see us becoming one of those squads where they have some reasonably high profile names but they are over the hill in their 30’s, possibly supplemented with young guys and we are missing a lot of guys in their “peak” years. Our best squads of recent times have had guys in the best years of their career (Shinnie, considine, mcginn, Hayes, Rooney etc). But I should wait to judge when we can see what we are actually dealing with. It just feels a little Football Manager which is maybe just due to the high player turnover, I really hope I’m wrong and I can’t put my finger on it exactly.
I don’t buy the we are filling the club with wrong’uns argument, I’m sure a front three of peak Ronaldo, Suarez and Maradona would do just fine but they are all alleged of horrible misdemeanours. 

edit to add: Also just no idea as to what’s happening with the MLS connection? Are we going to organically turn into a sort of testing ground for players over there? A league where guys are famously over paid for the mediocre quality, it just doesn’t seem a sensible market to be operating in and the lack of clarity is concerning. 

Edited by ScottishZizou

2 hours ago, Flammable sheep said:

Since the moment Scott Brown was announced. Plus a defender who's been jailed for assault, a coach who's been done for a drink driving incident, the way Shay Logan left, the Ferguson transfer request... I don't have the feeling that we're going to be hiring the right people for team harmony and chemistry. Whatever else you think about McInnes, he generally built a team of good guys who worked well together and seemed proud to be here doing well (and that I was quite proud to have represent us) . In contrast to McGhee's era where I thought a lot of the players were arseholes, or the shambles of Brown making Foster captain. I can't think of a time I was embarrassed for our club in the whole McInnes era, and that's changing already. 

I can see us looking down the barrel of some messy banter years tbh. I hope I'm wrong though. 

What was wrong with the way Shay Logan left?!

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

What was wrong with the way Shay Logan left?!

In isolation, not much, just a feeling I get when it all adds up. A good, long term player, who obviously loved his time here and is held in good regard by the fans, getting shunted off on loan without a farewell. We then play a teenager or a forward in his position for the remainder of the season. Plus combined with the Celtic/Brown history, it just felt like we weren't looking after our own any more. 

Maybe not rational, just didn't sit right. There are red flags in how we're doing business lately

2 minutes ago, Flammable sheep said:

In isolation, not much, just a feeling I get when it all adds up. A good, long term player, who obviously loved his time here and is held in good regard by the fans, getting shunted off on loan without a farewell. We then play a teenager or a forward in his position for the remainder of the season. Plus combined with the Celtic/Brown history, it just felt like we weren't looking after our own any more. 

Maybe not rational, just didn't sit right. There are red flags in how we're doing business lately

He had an extension that would be automatically triggered if he played an amount of games and was long past his best. Was very lucky to get his contract extended a couple of years ago.

He's also been allowed to miss at least a days training every week to visit his kids down south. The club have done very well by Shay.

McInnes brought stability for a long time. Eventually it got less exciting and we got more predictable as a team, but he managed the squad well and maintained above average performance for a long time. 

He's gone as we wanted change but with that comes risk - the chance of us sliding backwards next season is much higher than previous years with a complete change in playing style and a squad overhaul at the same time. I'm encouraged by what i've seen and the changes being made at the club that we'll be in a good place going forward, but I think its reasonable to expect the league form to be mixed next year. If Glass can achieve 3rd it will be a hell of an effort in his first full season.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I suppose any lingering doubts come from the fact that Cormack's much heralded links with Atlanta United and the MSL have led to the car crashes that were Gallagher and Hernandez, and the appointment of a manager with absolutely no experience at all (that's no criticism of Glass, but he does need to prove himself). 

Now we're taking an unknown right back on loan from Atlanta reserves (presumably an arrangement that will benefit Atlanta more than us) and apparently gambling on a striker that has never played outside the USA. 

Now, maybe it'll all work out brilliantly. We all hope so. 

Occasionally though, the feeling creeps up on me that Cormack is a mid-Atlantic Romanov......determined to inflict his world shattering masterplan on us, because he has tons of cash and he's great. 

Pint half empty day today guys, sorry. Let's hope I'm wrong. 

16 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I suppose any lingering doubts come from the fact that Cormack's much heralded links with Atlanta United and the MSL have led to the car crashes that were Gallagher and Hernandez, and the appointment of a manager with absolutely no experience at all (that's no criticism of Glass, but he does need to prove himself). 

Now we're taking an unknown right back on loan from Atlanta reserves (presumably an arrangement that will benefit Atlanta more than us) and apparently gambling on a striker that has never played outside the USA. 

Going into the summer without a head of recruitment when we have half a team to replace is a wee bit of a worry (not to say that recruitment was exactly our strong suit before). The US links have not been encouraging so far. Ramirez sounds an expensive gamble. Brown, Gallacher and JET don't exactly tick the boxes for the heralded new style of play and certainly have no growth potential or resale value. 

Not losing the head by any means, just wee niggling concerns. Maybe a couple more signings will assuage them for a while.

I'll not get too up or down until we see how the team and squad looks in mid July.

It's still May at the moment and any chat about having the team complete for pre season training was always pie in the sky.

I'd say I'm slightly surprised we have not pounced yet on any Bosman mid 20s players from England or Europe, but let's see what happens.

13 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

About 1/3 of the times. The rest of the time is split evenly between "we could be really good" and "meh". 

I intend to be at my most positive just before we get punted out of Europe by a half decent but not great team, probably from Belgium this year. I'll have decided that Glass is a clueless diddy just before we knock one of the cheeks out of a cup and go on an unbeaten streak. 

42 minutes ago, Flammable sheep said:

Going into the summer without a head of recruitment when we have half a team to replace is a wee bit of a worry (not to say that recruitment was exactly our strong suit before). The US links have not been encouraging so far. Ramirez sounds an expensive gamble. Brown, Gallacher and JET don't exactly tick the boxes for the heralded new style of play and certainly have no growth potential or resale value. 

Not losing the head by any means, just wee niggling concerns. Maybe a couple more signings will assuage them for a while.

I'd rather go with no head of recruitment than Russ Richardson.

Every signing is a gamble.