The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

15 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

This is the downside of having good loan signings. Farewell Mattie and Leighton ☹😭

FB_IMG_1685276083431.jpg

FB_IMG_1685276085738.jpg

FB_IMG_1685276092838.jpg

I"m sure most knew this was going to the outcome despite the wishful thinking.

I got over it by mentally pouring jambo tears Into a sponge dampener pad and thumbing through the millions they helped accrue.

Best of luck to them both.

The squad needs serious surgery irrespective of Europe. The recent top 6 fixtures when we've not had our preferred 11 has some a lot of weaknesses within the current squad. Yesterdays hammering was particularly bad. It's looking more than likely both Clarkson (read his instagram farewell) and Pollock will not be returning. Celtic want over 500k for Scales apparently. Not sure we'll pay that for him.

Wages should free up with players such as McCrorie, Kennedy, Watkins and Lewis potentially all leaving. 

I suspect we'll have a similar budget to what Hearts had last summer. I believe they spent around 2 million on their squad and remember they already had the foundations of their current squad from the previous season.

I think we'll require further investment just to get our team up to snuff as we've a number of loanees going back to their parent clubs, a large number of players out of contract and the likes of Morris, Richardson, Cal Roberts and Anthony Stewart potentially moving on. 16-17 players heading out the door. The McCrorie fee and the recent Nottingham forrest cash windfall will obviously help with the rebuild. I'm hopeful Steve Agnew will have some good contacts in England.

It's imperative we hold onto the likes of Duk, Miovski, Ramadani etc. as we really need some stability. We can't keep having these massive summer rebuilds.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’ve not given up on wee Leighton coming back yet. 

I’ve heard folk saying he might come back on loan.

I don’t see the benefit to Liverpool. 
He has 12 months on his contract left.

And I can’t see him getting a new contract.

I reckon they’ll sell him. But, for a few beyond our means. 

11 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Apparently Clarkson was down at The Rangers talking to Beale last week. Oh dear. I really hope that's not true.

Him not returning would be disappointing.

If he signed for the vermin, that would be horrendous. 
….. But not overly surprising, as the Cockney spiv knows Clarkson from the Liverpool youth days. 

There’s a part of me that thinks an Anthony Stewart just being asked to defend wouldn’t be awful as a back up player. 

But the relationship with the fans is probably too sour. His sending off in the league cup semi was the moment for me. 

Whilst we are doing potentially unpopular opinions, I would be happy to keep Watkins around for another season. I have always thought he is quite an intelligent player and has at least proven himself a capable understudy recently. 

I would hope we are trying to get Roos tied down for a couple more seasons, with his current contract due to expire next summer. Excellent goalkeeper at this level despite occasionally not running 20 yards off his line to claim a corner or whatever it is some of our fans want him to do. 

14 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

I'm just not sure if it's you thinking outside the box or you're just out of your box.

Either way stop it please, it scaress me😆

I think in my head I was thinking he could be a barely passable meat and potatoes defender within an actual defensive structure and not being asked to play like Virgil van dijk in possession. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

There’s a part of me that thinks an Anthony Stewart just being asked to defend wouldn’t be awful as a back up player. 

But the relationship with the fans is probably too sour. His sending off in the league cup semi was the moment for me. 

Is it the part of you that’s still hammered from last night?

He’s an undoubted proven liability many times over. 

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

People talking about the squad and signings for next season seem to be overlooking the fact that Wycombe Wanderers' players' player of the season 2019/20 is still under contract for another two years

Dinnae

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think in my head I was thinking he could be a barely passable meat and potatoes defender within an actual defensive structure and not being asked to play like Virgil van dijk in possession. 

You may well be right but the thought of it gives me the fear. Best leave it to be safe😉

19 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Whilst we are doing potentially unpopular opinions, I would be happy to keep Watkins around for another season. I have always thought he is quite an intelligent player and has at least proven himself a capable understudy recently. 

I would hope we are trying to get Roos tied down for a couple more seasons, with his current contract due to expire next summer. Excellent goalkeeper at this level despite occasionally not running 20 yards off his line to claim a corner or whatever it is some of our fans want him to do. 

Can't disagree with that (especially the last bit😀)but Watkins is what 32 now? Probably on a fair wedge etc. Move him on would be my guess but either way I'd be happy enough.

I’ve always liked watkins. He’s a good footballer and he can get you up the pitch with his abilities. 

But he has lost a lot of his prowess and unless it’s a cheaper contract it’s probably best to let him go. As much as that hurts. 

Watkins turns 33 before the end of the year. I think we can do better than him tbh. Even if Duk and Miovski both stay, if we continue to play with 2 strikers then we need 1 or 2 good options who can come in. He’s a willing runner and is strong but I don’t think he offers too much more than that.