The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I'm the first? Ok then, HAPPY GOTHENBURG DAY everyone, everywhere.

Didnt realise Aberdeen sang you’ll never walk alone, or that they were the last team to beat Real in a European final.  

6 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Didnt realise Aberdeen sang you’ll never walk alone, or that they were the last team to beat Real in a European final.  

I think that's the first time I've ever heard Jock Stein speak.  If you shut your eyes I'd swear it was Alex Ferguson talking.

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

A lot of teams sang it back then.

So it seems, was watching The Big Match Revisited last week and it was sung during the Spurs/Fulham game. 1st time I’d heard it outside of Celtic and Liverpool. 

10 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

So it seems, was watching The Big Match Revisited last week and it was sung during the Spurs/Fulham game. 1st time I’d heard it outside of Celtic and Liverpool. 

You must have only started going to  games after the early to mid 80s.

Very common in Scotland for many clubs fans to sing it. 

The “bouncy bouncy” was first sang by Buddies after a crowd of guys took a transit to a midweek match - aka The Transit Aggro!

Now unfortunately nicked by the blue bigots so obviously no longer sung by Saints fans. 

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

I remember AFC fans singing it as late as the 1993 SC final at Parkhead.  I think it was pretty common for most supports to sing in the 70s/80s

Edited by O_Kahn

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

There are actually quite a few songs that I recall being sung by our support in the 80s that I would rather forget I ever heard and have thankfully been evolved out.  There are also one or two others I miss, like 'Here We Go'....

Provided the prestigious elite honour known as the Super Cup is not regarded as a final, then the latter point is accurate.

It was mentioned during the Real v Man City commentary on 5 Live the other night and Chris Waddle was far too dense to know the answer. I also recall Chris Sutton being asked similar not so long ago, and he did know.

23 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

There are actually quite a few songs that I recall being sung by our support in the 80s that I would rather forget I ever heard and have thankfully been evolved out.  There are also one or two others I miss, like 'Here We Go'....

Provided the prestigious elite honour known as the Super Cup is not regarded as a final, then the latter point is accurate.

It was mentioned during the Real v Man City commentary on 5 Live the other night and Chris Waddle was far too dense to know the answer. I also recall Chris Sutton being asked similar not so long ago, and he did know.

"Provided the competition that we have a star on our badge for doesn't count, then the point is accurate". :lol: Come on now, the achievement is great as it is, no need to be adding on ridiculous 'stats' like that.

I was born a few years after Aberdeen's win but growing up you heard all about it and I've saw highlights from the game over the years.  Maybe I'm just becoming an auld b*****d now, but it's genuinely remarkable when you think about the scale of Aberdeen's achievement.  Not only do they get to the point where they are meeting Real Madrid in European competition (am I right in saying you knocked Bayern out along the way?), it's the final and they only went and beat them!

An incredible feat and the like I doubt I'll ever see in my lifetime.  I wish I was around back then to properly appreciate what it was like to follow Scottish teams in the 80s.  Aberdeen winning in Europe, Dundee Utd getting to semi-finals and finals, Hearts bottling the league... Simpler times.

53 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Steve Harvey GIFs | Tenor

He's not exactly on my top ten list of folk to go and find interviews of.

45 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

To be fair, his interviews are shown much less than the likes of Bill Shankly and Tommy Docherty, to name but two.  

And probably this as well.

14 minutes ago, Desp said:

"Provided the competition that we have a star on our badge for doesn't count, then the point is accurate". :lol: Come on now, the achievement is great as it is, no need to be adding on ridiculous 'stats' like that.

It counts as an honour, as we had to beat the European Cup winners to achieve it.

It doesn't count as a final, because there were no other rounds.................and Galatasaray beating Real in it 23 years back would ruin a great quiz question.

Not sure it counts as a trophy either as it was wooden plaque in those days.

52 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

It counts as an honour, as we had to beat the European Cup winners to achieve it.

It doesn't count as a final, because there were no other rounds.................and Galatasaray beating Real in it 23 years back would ruin a great quiz question.

Something doesn't have to be cup shaped to be a trophy.

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Can't see it confirmed anywhere, but I'm presuming that our Hearts allocation is sold out?

I was watching the site in the faint hope it went to phase 3. On the days before it never said sold out. Always said ‘soon on sale’.

So I made sure to check at 5pm yesterday. I was able to buy as part of phase 3. I think maybe I saw 30-40 available.

3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

I'm damn sure if Celgers had won it there would be no debate about it being an honour.

56 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm damn sure if Celgers had won it there would be no debate about it being an honour.

The now defunct club were torn a new @rse when they gave it a go

image.png.dcddd95fef8e49628f030a401f058b25.png