The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

16 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

I would be shocked too especially as he's used to having the ability to pay £10 million plus on average players. Would be very pleasantly surprised if he took the job considering how little he would have to spend 

He spent £18m on that useless h*n pr1ck McBurnie & £23m on Rhian Brewster. 

There’s a few red flags that make me unsure. 

Reputation for falling out with people.

BUT… generally has a good record & had a Championship level team finishing 9th in the EPL (before finding their level the next season).

Initially did well at ‘Boro.

Good record prior to Sheff Utd too.

Not sure what he’d make of what is a shite league after being in the EPL & upper English Championship level. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

On 05/03/2023 at 11:42, Dons_1988 said:

Anyone else slightly concerned we might get suckered into appointing robson? Particularly if we beat hearts. 

I just have a bad feeling that he’s not the man. Last night could’ve gone badly if United didn’t waste their early pressure. 

I think we’ve seen work rate and energy and back to basics but nothing much beyond that. 

This is a (more than slight) concern for me.  I don't like interim appointments that drag on for more than around 3 weeks.  Unless your interim manager does terribly, a bandwagon inevitably starts up to make the appointment permanent, even though nothing on his CV would have justified his appointment at the time he took over as caretaker.

Getting rid of a failing manager almost always leads to a temporary improvement in form.  Many interims have been given the job permanently on that basis, and while I haven't performed a statistical analysis, my clear impression is that it's usually been a very bad idea.

I've nothing against Robson personally, but doing ok or even quite well in a handful of games is far too flimsy a basis for making an appointment as important as this one.

12 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Wilder appointed Watford manager until the end of the season.

Not yet, but looks like he will be. He’s obviously not for us, as anyone who accepts being manager of Watford is unhinged.