The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Anyone else slightly concerned we might get suckered into appointing robson? Particularly if we beat hearts. 

I just have a bad feeling that he’s not the man. Last night could’ve gone badly if United didn’t waste their early pressure. 

I think we’ve seen work rate and energy and back to basics but nothing much beyond that. 

Under previous regimes I’d imagine that it would be the case but I think Cormack knows this one has to get it correct otherwise he’ll be catching up with Milne on the wrong appointment front 

15 hours ago, Flammable sheep said:

Most of today's game passed him by, imo. He was a bit anonymous in the first half. Would have hoped he'd influence the game a bit more, especially when we looked a bit ropey first half

Shinnie does a lot of great things that are the dirtier side of the game, and sometimes they go unnoticed. 
What he isn’t, is a great ball player or playmaker. He needs the right players around him. He would be good in the Dabs side with Levitt and McGrath for example. 
The team is far better for having him though, fingers crossed he stays. 

58 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I see St Mirren, who qualified for Europe on 1st February at Pittodrie, have fallen behind us in the table. 🤔

We’re coming into that point in the season where St Mirren and Livingston usually collapse out of the top six.

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Anyone else slightly concerned we might get suckered into appointing robson? Particularly if we beat hearts. 

I just have a bad feeling that he’s not the man. Last night could’ve gone badly if United didn’t waste their early pressure. 

I think we’ve seen work rate and energy and back to basics but nothing much beyond that. 

I hope not.

I suspect he’ll leave soon to try his luck elsewhere, presuming he doesn’t get the job at Pittodrie. 
I’m not sure even being offered the assistant manager job will satisfy him now that he’s had a taste of being manager.  

If Dundee Utd go down, he might be a shout for their job when they punt Goodwin. 

I’d be stunned if we didn’t have a new manager by the Hearts game 

Hope Robson and Agnew are part of the new setup though 

Sometimes that's enough to be a success in this division, tbf.

21 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I hope not.

I suspect he’ll leave soon to try his luck elsewhere, presuming he doesn’t get the job at Pittodrie. 
I’m not sure even being offered the assistant manager job will satisfy him now that he’s had a taste of being manager.  

If Dundee Utd go down, he might be a shout for their job when they punt Goodwin. 

I heard an ICT fan on a podcast this week stating that he thinks there’s fair chance he replaces Dodds, who is out of contract in the summer.  Robson himself did mention after the Livi game that he would be a manager in his own right  “somewhere soon”, so wondering if this is a likely fallback.

I like what I’ve seen of hiM and Agnew so far - some in-game adjustments to a positive effect were made yesterday.

Edited by tarapoa

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sometimes that's enough to be a success in this division, tbf.

Agreed it can go a long way and it has helped in terms of stopping the bleeding but don’t think it makes him someone to take on a longer term project. 

18 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I heard an ICT fan on a podcast this week stating that he thinks there’s fair chance he replaces Dodds, who is out of contract in the summer.  Robson himself did mention after the Livi game that he would be a manager in his own right  “somewhere soon”, so wondering if this is a likely fallback.

I like what I’ve seen of hiM and Agnew so far - some in-game adjustments to a positive effect were made yesterday.

Someone will give him a chance soon.

He’ll be a manager in his own right by the summer, somewhere.
(Love Simple Minds). 

If I was Alan Burrows et al, I'd be very tempted to let this play out another fortnight. I was very sceptical about Robson, however the appointment of Agnew and the tactical adjustments have been spot on.

There are things you could say about all the results:

St Mirren - ludicrous red card 8 minutes in kills us

Motherwell - a win but in free fall themselves

Celtic - a hiding but Celtic have dropped 5 points all season in the league

Livingston - a good win but Livingston's form has collapsed

Dundee United - an away win at last, reasonable performance second half but shaky first 30 minutes, United bottom of the table 

I know it was mentioned above about work rate, energy and back to basics is what we've seen but that was exactly what was required after the absolute shitshow of Goodwin's last few weeks. Once the players have a bit more confidence, they can build some more exciting football and flair into the play.

The players seem to have bought in and there's a little bit of momentum with some back to back wins including an away one, so I'd give Robson and Agnew the Hearts game and take it from there. No need to rush into an appointment quite yet, particularly as there is another fortnight after the Hearts game with the national break.

I'm away to have a lie down after a relatively positive and hopeful post.

I remember listening to the guys from the Not The Top 20 podcast at the beginning of this season, and they were saying that they rated Wilder as arguably the best active English manager at that point. His stock has seemingly fallen a bit since then because it went wrong at Boro, but I would be delighted and shocked if we actually managed to get him. I expected him to be completely out of reach for us when Goodwin was sacked and for an upper-end Championship side to get him. 

I suppose the concern would be how long we could hold on to him for, but that's not a good reason not to go for it if it is possible. He is clearly the outstanding candidate from the names that have been bandied around. 

Edited by DrewDon

11 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Barry Robson should not and will not be our next manager.

He’s doing a decent interim job though.

Edited by kingjoey

Robson, while likely having more about him than the likes of Fox and Hammell, can’t be the answer. Yes he’s stopped the rot abd we’ve beaten the worst teams in the league, but we’ve no idea how he responds to setbacks or a couple of poor results.

Wilder in before Hearts, biggest home crowd of the season, 2-0 to the famous.

36 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I would be delighted and shocked if we actually managed to get him. I expected him to be completely out of reach for us when Goodwin was sacked and for an upper-end Championship side to get him. 

I suppose the concern would be how long we could hold on to him for, but that's not a good reason not to go for it if it is possible. He is clearly the outstanding candidate from the names that have been bandied around. 

I would be shocked too especially as he's used to having the ability to pay £10 million plus on average players. Would be very pleasantly surprised if he took the job considering how little he would have to spend 

1 minute ago, highland_mechanic said:

I would be shocked too especially as he's used to having the ability to pay £10 million plus on average players. Would be very pleasantly surprised if he took the job considering how little he would have to spend 

In fairness, he won't have had particularly large playing budgets at Oxford and Northampton so I'm not as concerned about that as I would be if he had never managed below Championship level, but it would certainly be a change of pace from his last couple of jobs.