The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Hayes’ time at this level is pretty much done, but he deserves the respect he gets imo. 

The truth is he can’t play as a main attacking threat because the quality is gone, except for a few exceptions. He doesn’t have the defensive mind to be a LB . He is passable at wing back but only because of endeavour, he will still leave you short going both ways. This was fairly obvious last season and it’s a failing of recruitment that he (and Kennedy) are being so relied on. 

We’ve played 3 at the back to cover centre halves who can’t defend and Hayes and Kennedy shoved at wing back because we signed full backs who can’t defend. I think you see the difference on Saturday when we play a back 4 with competent defenders at FB and a bit more quality in the attacking wide areas. We look more effective in both directions. 

Saying all that, I love Jonny hayes and he deserves a good send off when he eventually calls it a day. 

The one thing Jonny hasn't been is consistent.

Right now, when he's bad, he's awful - then he will have some games where he reminds you he does still have his uses. 

Said at the start of the season, we should not now be in a place where our 'first choice XI when all are fit and available' includes Hayes - but he's still fine for another season or so to play the polyfilla role when that isn't case.

Robson/Agnew passed the test well on Sat, but would be good to see how they do in a couple of away games that aren't Celtic, to see if we've developed some mettle there.

Was interesting to hear Barry say in his interview after the game that he "would be a manager in his own right soon........somewhere" or words to those effect.  I wonder if there's a chance he could be in the home dugout on Saturday evening !

18 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Hayes hasn't been excellent since he returned.

If he wasn't a former hero, folk would have wanted him out a long time ago.

I thought he was good until his injury earlier on the season, since coming back he has been very poor.  Obviously wasn't the player we had previously but was never going to be. 

Edited by betting competition

7 hours ago, tarapoa said:

The one thing Jonny hasn't been is consistent.

Right now, when he's bad, he's awful - then he will have some games where he reminds you he does still have his uses. 

Said at the start of the season, we should not now be in a place where our 'first choice XI when all are fit and available' includes Hayes - but he's still fine for another season or so to play the polyfilla role when that isn't case.

Robson/Agnew passed the test well on Sat, but would be good to see how they do in a couple of away games that aren't Celtic, to see if we've developed some mettle there.

Was interesting to hear Barry say in his interview after the game that he "would be a manager in his own right soon........somewhere" or words to those effect.  I wonder if there's a chance he could be in the home dugout on Saturday evening !

Nah.

The DABS will go for an old head to try & steer them from relegation. 

8 hours ago, tarapoa said:

That's exactly my thoughts.

Saturday was a good result but we've got a good home record this season anyway.

I want to see that home form replicated away from home and see these players start showing some balls instead of throwing in the towel when the going gets tough (the tough get going according to Billy Ocean, although I don't know if that means they leave or knuckle down).

I think Robson will undoubtedly being getting bitten by the management bug this time because it's a longer spell in charge.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

52 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

That's exactly my thoughts.

Saturday was a good result but we've got a good home record this season anyway.

I want to see that home form replicated away from home and see these players start showing some balls instead of throwing in the towel when the going gets tough (the tough get going according to Billy Ocean, although I don't know if that means they leave or knuckle down).

It means they get rough

3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

We've gone from facing a Fox team, to an Ashgar team, to a Levein team and now potentially a Goodwin team on Saturday evening.

Going for 10-in-a-row?

Rangers 4-1 Aberdeen 
Livingston 2-1  Aberdeen
St Mirren 3-1 Aberdeen
Kilmarnock 2-1 Aberdeen 
Rangers 2-1 Aberdeen
Hearts 5-0 Aberdeen
Darvel 1-0 Aberdeen
Hibernian 6-0 Aberdeen
Celtic 4-0 Aberdeen                                                                                                                                                               

3 hours ago, betting competition said:

Going for 10-in-a-row?

Rangers 4-1 Aberdeen 
Livingston 2-1  Aberdeen
St Mirren 3-1 Aberdeen
Kilmarnock 2-1 Aberdeen 
Rangers 2-1 Aberdeen
Hearts 5-0 Aberdeen
Darvel 1-0 Aberdeen
Hibernian 6-0 Aberdeen
Celtic 4-0 Aberdeen                                                                                                                                                               

Bloody hell, that’s depressing.

6 hours ago, betting competition said:

Going for 10-in-a-row?

Rangers 4-1 Aberdeen 
Livingston 2-1  Aberdeen
St Mirren 3-1 Aberdeen
Kilmarnock 2-1 Aberdeen 
Rangers 2-1 Aberdeen
Hearts 5-0 Aberdeen
Darvel 1-0 Aberdeen
Hibernian 6-0 Aberdeen
Celtic 4-0 Aberdeen                                                                                                                                                               

Those results show a fucking spectacular lack of bottle. Utterly embarrassing.