The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

The players at least decided to try again, which was nice of them.

Sadly the officials decide to intervene and wreck this one - that’s first half red cards in all three Smurn games this season.

The centre halves did okay until tiring, but Hayes and Lewis look done. Lack of subs when so many out on their feet was a strange one from the interim manager.

We have developed a hell of a habit of letting players that couldn’t cut it here score against us - but then everyone is getting a wee shot at scoring against us nowadays.

Still, hard to pass judgement too much tonight  - but what we can’t afford is another episode of letting Van Veen turn into Van Basten again on Sat, as that is now a must win.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Note the two he thinks have been outstanding 🤦🏻‍♂️

Hopefully he doesn't believe any of the shite he's speaking there.

Considering they hadn't even been in Aberdeen for more than 48 hours and had never played with any of their teammates I totally understand why Barry defended them.

I understand why Cormack is minded to take his time about the next permanent appointment, and presumably that helps to explain Agnew being drafted in to help Robson, but my gut feeling is that this only holds if the results don't continue to slide. If we lose, or possibly even don't win, on Saturday then the pressure to get somebody in quickly will be turned up. 

I really hate to be negative, but no idea what Barry Robson was trying to prove last night. We have gone through the worst ten days in the history of the club and, apart from the two players who are not available, he picks the same starting line up. We go down to 10 men 6 minutes in, we’re losing from just before the hour and he makes his first two, and only two, subs after 83 minutes when the game has gone. Apart from the penalty Miovski did nothing and looked all night as if he was going to do nothing, and he survived for the entire 102 minutes. Baffling.

5 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I understand why Cormack is minded to take his time about the next permanent appointment, and presumably that helps to explain Agnew being drafted in to help Robson, but my gut feeling is that this only holds if the results don't continue to slide. If we lose, or possibly even don't win, on Saturday then the pressure to get somebody in quickly will be turned up. 

It’s not a hellava long time, but because of Darvel there are two weeks between the Motherwell game and our next game against Celtic, to get someone in.

34 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I really hate to be negative, but no idea what Barry Robson was trying to prove last night. We have gone through the worst ten days in the history of the club and, apart from the two players who are not available, he picks the same starting line up. We go down to 10 men 6 minutes in, we’re losing from just before the hour and he makes his first two, and only two, subs after 83 minutes when the game has gone. Apart from the penalty Miovski did nothing and looked all night as if he was going to do nothing, and he survived for the entire 102 minutes. Baffling.

Agreed joey, don’t want to criticise the players too much for last night but it wasnt the finest audition from Barry. 

I sort of get not wanting to disrupt a defensive structure that was doing ok in the circumstances, but you could easily freshen up the options to get us up the pitch and pose a threat. 

Is Bebo McGuire returning!!?

I agree with @kingjoey that Robson's failure to deploy substitutes until the final ten minutes after they had scored again was baffling considering the circumstances of the match and being down to ten men for so long.

I understand why he's doing the softly softly approach in the post-match interviews but he needs to be careful that players don't take advantage of that. However, given that we played most of the match a man down, then it was fair enough.

I thought it was the right decision to send McCrorie off, needlessly raising his elbow up and out. He gave that awful referee a decision to make, and he gave us very little on the night.

For Saturday, we need a eleven men on the park and three points or we're getting pulled into the relegation dogfight.

I would like to see the home fans getting behind the club (if not the players) and turn out in big numbers on Saturday but possibly unlikely.

But a decent effort from the home support last night given the last couple of weeks.

7 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

Considering they hadn't even been in Aberdeen for more than 48 hours and had never played with any of their teammates I totally understand why Barry defended them.

I'm talking about the two "wingers playing fullback".

His pals.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Is Bebo McGuire returning!!?

I agree with @kingjoey that Robson's failure to Deploy substitutes until the final ten minutes after they had scored again was baffling considering the circumstances of the match and being down to ten men for so long.

I understand why he's doing the softly softly approach in the post-match interviews but he needs to be careful that players don't take advantage of that. However, given that we played most of the match a man down, then it was fair enough.

I thought it was the right decision to send McCrorie off, needlessly raising his elbow up and out. He gave that awful referee a decision to make, and he gave us very little on the night.

For Saturday, we need a eleven men on the park and three points or we're getting pulled into the relegation dogfight.

I would like to see the home fans getting behind the club (if not the players) and turn out in big numbers on Saturday but possibly unlikely.

But a decent effort from the home support last night given the last couple of weeks.

Hahaha I did hear he had approached the club to see if we were interested.

His kid lives up here.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That last page was depressing reading. When even @kingjoey is expressing concern...

I think I'll familiarise myself with The Big Relegation Thread.

It’s back to just not being very much fun anymore. 

We can bemoan injustices and bad luck from last night with the red card but we got ourselves into this pattern last season, where we just seemed to find new ways to lose every week. 

The team showed at least a bit of character last night but it’s just another game and another 3 points gone. 

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

We had subs lined up before we equalised and then they sat back down. I guess he thought wait and see if we get an immediate boost from the pen.

In all fairness Main's second goal was a peach, so fresh legs further up the pitch likely makes little difference in stopping that one.

1 hour ago, SamuraiJock said:

We had subs lined up before we equalised and then they sat back down. I guess he thought wait and see if we get an immediate boost from the pen.

In all fairness Main's second goal was a peach, so fresh legs further up the pitch likely makes little difference in stopping that one.

Indeed we did was away to change it just before we equalised and was away to put on Coulson on when Main scored his 2nd after seeing if we got the boost from the pen.

Robson had 2 training days to work with the players, he is not a miracle worker especially with the players confidence is shot. When St Mirren took the lead they could have scored another 2 or 3 before we got the equaliser but if we continue to work hard as we did last night then the results will get better. 

I'm not usually a glass half full kind but I'll just stick to the fact that we are 10 points from top of the 'league' and 9 points from bottom of the 'league' despite being on an utterly shit run.

It wouldn't take much of a turn in our fortunes to get closer to Hearts. I'm certainly not thinking about relegation. Yet.

31 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Ooft. I see St Mirren seem rattled even after winning.

Tin pot.

Rattled at what everyone I know is over the moon today. Goodwin is a Saints legend but have to say Robinson is on a whole different level.  These times don't come along to often for St Mirren so has to be enjoyed to the full. Jeez I'm thinking I might need a passport next season.