The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

😂

From what I've seen of him, which is 12 months out of date now tbh, yes. He was a properly aggressive lump of a CB who was willing to diving header things away from players feet. Quick and strong too so could match most attackers.

Genuinely thought he'd get a chance at Watford and unsure why he hasn't.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Goodwin arrived with big ideas of being the main man, unafraid of making the big calls whilst decimating the squad of Stephen Glass, however, as I said at the time, the true test was how quickly he addressed defincies in his own squad. Unforunately for him, he seemed blind to them.

I'm devoid of any sympathy for Goodwin. He received an opportunity, albeit undeserved, of making a name for himself at a big, relatively speaking, club in Scotland and it looks like he messed it up by coming across too strong too soon.

You need to earn the right in any workplace to be respected from your actual actions and results not just words. That seems to be particularly necessary in a football dressing room.

If he had built a strong backroom staff with assistants who offered advice and sometimes unwated advive when needed but his main sidekick Sharp looked a timid yes man, if he had stood back and assessed the squad that he was inherting properly, including Scott Brown, before making any decisions on who he wanted to keep and who he didn't, if he had kept the inherited squad happy and gave them a fresh slate so he could push for an early success by getting European football last season before starting the cull then all of these things would've gained him respect and maybe bought him time to settle into the biggest job of his career.

However, he didn't, he wanted to run before he could walk and he wanted to do it all himself.

Therefore, when I saw him shuffle alone across the Easter Road turf and out a side door, I thought it a fitting exit for the man who thought he knew best.

Yep, when he came in and jettisoned Scott Brown (not saying this was the wrong decision), he said something along the lines that he is a control freak and had no use for other coaches other than his assistant at the club as he wanted to do everything himself.

It’s clear that the Aberdeen job is far too big for a relatively Inexperienced manager to try and run everything effectively through one person as Goodwin tried to do (especially given the ineptitude of the other footballing structure) and likely contributed to the excessive number of fall-outs he had with players.

I’m pleased we’re already looking to address this by appointing an experienced coach like Agnew to assist Robson for the interim period - you feel that’s exactly the sort of assistant Glass could have done with.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

😂

From what I've seen of him, which is 12 months out of date now tbh, yes. He was a properly aggressive lump of a CB who was willing to diving header things away from players feet. Quick and strong too so could match most attackers.

Genuinely thought he'd get a chance at Watford and unsure why he hasn't.

Quick browse of Twitter has their fans suggesting he’s slow on the turn and lacking agility though decent defensively and in the air.

Whatever he is, having more than two CB’s is an immediate improvement.

3 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I was surprised at how bad he was yesterday. 

I was at a League Cup tie that Aberdeen won on penalties 3 or 4 seasons ago where Lewis was the difference between the two teams. What happened to him? 

The Million Dollar question I'm afraid...I think it was the season he became captain (2019/2020?) that things started to turn, and I'm not sure if his confidence took a knock or age started to catch up on him (unusual if true because keepers normally improve with age) but he quickly became a liability of which he has never really recovered.

I suppose whatever it was could've been the reason that he wasn't able to reach the higher level in England.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

53 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not that it matters a huge amount, but he was the standout young CB in England, datawise, while at Grimbsy.

Hes an absolute unit whos deceptively quick, has plenty of experience of senior football too.

He should be an upgrade on all your CBs defensively.

You told us Scales was good!

30 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Yep, when he came in and jettisoned Scott Brown (not saying this was the wrong decision), he said something along the lines that he is a control freak and had no use for other coaches other than his assistant at the club as he wanted to do everything himself.

It’s clear that the Aberdeen job is far too big for a relatively Inexperienced manager to try and run everything effectively through one person as Goodwin tried to do (especially given the ineptitude of the other footballing structure) and likely contributed to the excessive number of fall-outs he had with players.

I’m pleased we’re already looking to address this by appointing an experienced coach like Agnew to assist Robson for the interim period - you feel that’s exactly the sort of assistant Glass could have done with.

Been on my mind for a while. If you watched our warm ups, the whole outfield squad would do a few exercises together. Keepers on their own forwards would get a few shots then in. 

Most other teams have a couple of squad bits then work in individual units using several coaches.

Purposely spread himself too thin. Bizarre.

Edited by Merkland Red

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The strange thing from Watford's point of view, is that Mattie Polllock came on as a sub away at Middlesbrough yesterday. 

They’ve signed some lad called Ryan Porteous who has presumably bumped him down the pecking order.

10 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

You told us Scales was good!

Im still convinced he is, but aye, hes been a bit shit and he'll possibly now be dumped as you try and build for next season.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I did think he was decent until fairly recently tbh.

Ive only seen Darvel and highlights of Hibs, but it feels like your squad knew Goodwin was fucked and,.mentally, kind of checked out from a winless fight. Not on purpose probably, but just subconsciously knew it was a bad situation and every knock to their confidence just put them further in their shell.

No doubt some will talk about "leaders" not being there, but im not sure you can always escape situations like that.

Think youve still got a very good squad so a new manager might get a bounce as they escape the feeling of dread.

Tl:dr - Rambling bullshit

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ive only seen Darvel and highlights of Hibs, but it feels like your squad knew Goodwin was fucked and,.mentally, kind of checked out from a winless fight. Not on purpose probably, but just subconsciously knew it was a bad situation and every knock to their confidence just put them further in their shell.

No doubt some will talk about "leaders" not being there, but im not sure you can always escape situations like that.

Think youve still got a very good squad so a new manager might get a bounce as they escape the feeling of dread.

Tl:dr - Rambling bullshit

Scales has potential. He was very good at hampden a few weeks ago and has generally been decent with a propensity for the occasional brain fart. His form has been outrageously bad since the semi though so f**k knows what’s going on mentally with him and some others. 

I said last week that middle to front we have a good enough squad to compete. If we can get in a competent back line with a bit of depth then there’s no reason a manager can’t steady things to have us back on track. 

I still believe that player for player this is a better side than this time last year. Character seriously in question though. 

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Scales has potential. He was very good at hampden a few weeks ago and has generally been decent with a propensity for the occasional brain fart. His form has been outrageously bad since the semi though so f**k knows what’s going on mentally with him and some others. 

I said last week that middle to front we have a good enough squad to compete. If we can get in a competent back line with a bit of depth then there’s no reason a manager can’t steady things to have us back on track. 

I still believe that player for player this is a better side than this time last year. Character seriously in question though. 

The squad is much better. How it's going to be used in the next few months is anyone's guess though.

Scales looks like he can’t play as one of two centre backs. He was decent on the left of a three but he’s not commanding enough in the air. He’s also pretty inexperienced and has a shite partner who doesn’t seem to do a lot of talking. 
He’s turned in some shite performances recently but I’d say it’s bad form rather than a bad player. 

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Scales looks like he can’t play as one of two centre backs. He was decent on the left of a three but he’s not commanding enough in the air. He’s also pretty inexperienced and has a shite partner who doesn’t seem to do a lot of talking. 
He’s turned in some shite performances recently but I’d say it’s bad form rather than a bad player. 

Would Scales maybe be better at left back?

1 minute ago, Jute said:

Would Scales maybe be better at left back?

He was described as a left back who can play centre back when we signed him wasn’t he?

If your question is would he be better there than at centre back, then i’d say probably.

If your question is would he be better there than coulson I’d say definitely 

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

He was described as a left back who can play centre back when we signed him wasn’t he?

If your question is would he be better there than at centre back, then i’d say probably.

If your question is would he be better there than coulson I’d say definitely 

He couldn’t be any worse than Coulson.

I have always felt Scales is a left back playing at centre back and McKenzie looks like a centre back playing at left back. Would be tempted to switch them round.