The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, betting competition said:

I'm the same with Goodwin but I don't see much of a choice of Managers and after seeing how bad Ebbe Skovdahl was I'm worried if we go foreign. Maybe it worth putting Robson in charge till the end of the season. 

After seeing how bad Goodwin, Glass, McGhee and Paterson were then I’d be worried if we don’t go foreign.

6 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I'm the same with Goodwin but I don't see much of a choice of Managers and after seeing how bad Ebbe Skovdahl was I'm worried if we go foreign. Maybe it worth putting Robson in charge till the end of the season. 

If I was Robson I would be very wary about taking the job on til the end of the season.  If he's a caretaker it will be even more difficult to persuade any defenders to sign up before the end of the month.  It would be a pretty tough gig, and could ruin his chances of getting a full time managerial position in the long run (assuming that's what he wants).

Edited by O_Kahn

I feel Robson would placate the fans, being a club legend and all that, but on the flip side you wouldn't be expecting league success with a rookie manager.

Would Aberdeen fans be happy with another season of rebuilding the team? I don't see Cormack bringing in an expensive, but tried and tested manager.

16 minutes ago, betting competition said:

You just did. Goodwin's from Ireland. 

I never get this viewpoint though. Just because one person didn't work out the whole of a geographical region is written off. Going by that principle you should never have another Scotsman anywhere near the job.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Dons are fifth in the league and won't win a cup. This is par for Aberdeen and I'm honestly not sure what else they are expecting.

2 minutes ago, NathanDrake88 said:

Exactly. They’re completely delusional 

Can the funny jokes please be left to the match thread?

4 minutes ago, NathanDrake88 said:

Exactly. They’re completely delusional 

5th in an extremely poor league, and the current incumbent has won 2 of his 17 away games.  But aye we are delusional not to be content with this.

I think if you look back at his record with St Mirren this is pretty much par for the course. 

The season he left us we had 3 wins in 20 games before the winter break and were on a run of 11 games without a win. We then hit a purple patch when Goodwin changed the formation in the break and we won 4 and drew 1 and then Aberdeen appointed him! To be fair, we were decent enough at cup football (except the season when he joined when we drew with East Kilbride and Albion Rovers). 

I don't blame Goodwin for moving to Aberdeen, but I was surprised that he was up for the position given his record and said he'd need luck. As it proved.... 

57 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I've said before that I think there is a tendency for Dons fans to look back excessively fondly on Ebbe's time because he was a bit of an eccentric. There were highs, there were some pretty awful lows but he brought through some decent youngsters and brought in some decent overseas talent in Guntviet (who I always thought was underrated), Bisconti, Stavrum and Zero. I'd argue the opposite that the Ebbe experiment hasn't put me off going foreign again. 

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

The good run we were on was probably the main reason for his appointment but I think it's an unfair reflection on Goodwin's time at St Mirren to suggest that all he had was one good run. He took over a bit of a basket case, signed - for the most part - better players than we had, got us to two semi finals and missed out on top 6 by a whisker. Had Goodwin stayed last year I reckon we would've got top 6.

You can argue that he could've done more and Aberdeen fans can certainly be annoyed at his appointment but by any measure he was a good manager for St Mirren.

For clarity, and I can see how you thought it, I am not saying all Goodwin did with us was that six game good run where he earned plaudits. All I meant was I think it definitely was that wee run that prompted Cormack to pay compensation and get him. It wasn’t like Goodwin had put a couple of great entire seasons under his belt and there were teams tripping over each other to prise him away from the Darling Buddies of Dismay.