The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

To this day, it is utterly mental that Cormack actually gave us money for Goodwin.

Our entire time under him was spent hovering in the bottom half of the league. We had gone on a horrific run of games without a win. Then went on a decent run of 6 or 7 games where we did decent - not anything exceptional, as there wer e afew draws in there. This was enough to make Cormack decide that Goodwin was the only man for the Dons' job.

Unreal banter. Shiter of a decision. I still don't have the faintest idea why Goodwin was the man earmarked for the job in the first place.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

1 minute ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

To this day, it is utterly mental that Cormack actually gave us mony for Goodwin.

Our entire time under him was spent hovering in the bottom half of the league. We had gone on a horrific run of games without a win. Then went on a decent run of 6 or 7 games where we did decent - not anything exceptional. This was enough to make Cormack decide that Goodwin was the only man for the Dons' job.

Unreal banter. Shiter of a decision. I still don't have the faintest idea why Goodwin was the man earmarked for the job.

He wasn't Glass.

49 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Aye.

He was a chocolate salesman a few year ago.

Man of principle or not, he's a family he'll want to provide the very best for.

Indeed, if Cormack is stupid enough to appoint him (in uber-quick time) with a very generous contract over a lengthy period then why would he walk away from that?

He'll be heading back to part-time football (if he's lucky) so, as you say, he needs to provide his family with financial security.

He should've never been appointed in the first place. Even considering that Goodwin's track record didn't stand out, the haste at which a decision was made to annouce was unnecessary (I haven't heard of any other interest from other clubs) and reckless.

Cormack has spoken about a "prawcess" in identfying managers but it looks likely that, in both disastrous appointments, he had a shortlist of one.

No matter when Cormack pulls the trigger, Goodwin's Aberdeen managerial career ended last night. We've just got to hope that he doesn't wait long enough for us to get pulled into the relegation dogfight.

However, unless Cormack restructures the boardoom and management to a situation where he becomes only a figurehead with little actual decision-making input then we're destined for relegation at some point under his watch. Maybe not this season, but we're just going to bounce from one crisis to another.

This remote working chairman doesn't work especially when the aforementioned chairman is incompetent and seems to have issues delegating, listening and taking advice that is contray to his own opinions.

In the interim between crises, then I think we need an experienced man to take the helm and steer as through to the end of the season and maybe beyond if things stabilise.

It's time for Craig Brown-esque period where foundations can be laid for the new man.

Cormack has failed twice now with appointments. Once is a mistake, twice is stupid but three times would be idiocy; therefore, another fairly inexperienced man to follow Glass and Goodwin is defintely not what is required at this stage.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

I have been pretty supportive of Goodwin up until last night, and I basically don't like sacking managers in the middle of a season as a rule unless absolutely necessary. But I just don't see how he can survive until Saturday after that. If we concede first against Hibs and he is in the dugout, it will be absolutely toxic; either that, or totally apathetic, which is arguably even more damning.

An extremely generous reading might be that Cormack is waiting for a response from a preferred replacement before committing to sacking Goodwin, but that would require a degree of foresight. 

10 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Indeed, if Cormack is stupid enough to appoint him (in uber-quick time) with a very generous contract over a lengthy period then why would he walk away from that?

He'll be heading back to part-time football (if he's lucky) so, as you say, he needs to provide his family with financial security.

He should've never been appointed in the first place. Even considering that Goodwin's track record didn't stand out, the haste at which a decision was made to annouce was unnecessary (I haven't heard of any other interest from other clubs) and reckless.

Cormack has spoken about a "prawcess" in identfying managers but it looks likely that, in both disastrous appointments, he had a shortlist of one.

No matter when Cormack pulls the trigger, Goodwin's Aberdeen managerial career ended last night. We've just got to hope that he doesn't wait long enough for us to get pulled into the relegation dogfight.

However, unless Cormack restructures the boardoom and management to a situation where he becomes only a figurehead with little actual decision-making input then we're destined for relegation at some point under his watch. Maybe not this season, but we're just going to bounce from one crisis to another.

This remote working chairman doesn't work especially when the aforementioned chairman is incompetent and seems to have issues delegating, listening and taking advice that is contray to his own opinions.

In the interim between crises, then I think we need an experienced man to take the helm and steer as through to the end of the season and maybe beyond if things stabilise.

It's time for Craig Brown-esque period where foundations can be laid for the new man.

Cormack has failed twice now with appointments. Once is a mistake, twice is stupid but three times would be idiocy; therefore, another fairly inexperienced man to follow Glass and Goodwin is defintely not what is required at this stage.

Agreed

Cormack has the potential to be a brilliant owner for us. He’s a Dons fan, engages with the fans and invests heavily into the club between himself and his pals. He’s delivered on the training ground and initiatives such as the Red Shed have been transformational.

I’ve no doubt that he’s a successful businessman but he doesn’t know how to run the football side of things. I’m sure Steven Gunn is a skilled football administrator and an asset to the club in that capacity but he doesn’t have the skills or experience to be a Director of Football who the manager reports to.

Cormack needs to put his trust in a DoF who has experience of working in the game, who can shape the playing style etc, can support the manager and work with Mowbray on recruitment. This person should also take the lead on recruiting managers as it’s clear the process so far hasn’t worked. It would also help if we had someone running the club day to day if he chooses to be in America for most of the year. I don’t think we’re a million miles away from getting it right but if we don’t make changes then the club will continue to slide.

36 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Eta and one he allowed to spend a lot of money

Broadly speaking, it hasn't been Goodwin spending the money - it's been Darren Mowbray, our head of recruitment.

Goodwin would have had input and scope to suggest players, but not carte blanche. The only time I remember him coming out with the 'player I've admired for a long time' sort of line was when we signed Anthony Stewart.

So getting a more competent head coach in is actually protecting the investment the club's made in players, as we'll be hoping to sell several of them at a profit. Not that making a good coaching appointment has been Cormack's forte thus far.

17 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I have been pretty supportive of Goodwin up until last night, and I basically don't like sacking managers in the middle of a season as a rule unless absolutely necessary. But I just don't see how he can survive until Saturday after that. If we concede first against Hibs and he is in the dugout, it will be absolutely toxic; either that, or totally apathetic, which is arguably even more damning.

An extremely generous reading might be that Cormack is waiting for a response from a preferred replacement before committing to sacking Goodwin, but that would require a degree of foresight. 

You could replace the words Goodwin, Aberdeen, Hibs, Cormack with Johnson, Hibs, Aberdeen and Gordon and wouldnt be that far off what many Hibs fans think.

Saturdays going to be fun - and even better I will be sober !!!

I'm not convinced by the argument that Goodwin won't walk away mainly because of money. It might be a consideration but i think he genuinely backs himself to make a go of it and wants to fix it.  Whether he can convince Dave is a different matter. 

I do think that Dave will be motivated by money but are our attendances not pretty good this season? His decision is whether a new man will recover league prize money and possible European qualification. 

7 minutes ago, Ampersand said:

Broadly speaking, it hasn't been Goodwin spending the money - it's been Darren Mowbray, our head of recruitment.

Goodwin would have had input and scope to suggest players, but not carte blanche. The only time I remember him coming out with the 'player I've admired for a long time' sort of line was when we signed Anthony Stewart.

So getting a more competent head coach in is actually protecting the investment the club's made in players, as we'll be hoping to sell several of them at a profit. Not that making a good coaching appointment has been Cormack's forte thus far.

Goodwin did categorically state that it was his decision to load up up front and have limited cover at the back. 

His biggest mistake imo. 

1 minute ago, O_Kahn said:

Whoever the new manager is, can we at least be spared a one hour interview with him on RedTV where Graham Hunter asks him to expand on his philosophy and the identity of the club.  That would be a start.

Who do you think you're hiring? Nietzsche?

3 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

Whoever the new manager is, can we at least be spared a one hour interview with him on RedTV where Graham Hunter asks him to expand on his philosophy and the identity of the club.  That would be a start.

Graham Hunter allows someone else to speak and have an opinion? Remarkable.

44 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I'm the same with Goodwin but I don't see much of a choice of Managers and after seeing how bad Ebbe Skovdahl was I'm worried if we go foreign. Maybe it worth putting Robson in charge till the end of the season. 

https://www.afc.co.uk/2023/01/24/in-memoriam-2/

Everyone at Aberdeen FC was very saddened to learn of the passing of former player Patrizio Billio. The Italian midfielder was at Pittodrie during the 2002/2003 season, making 12 appearances for the first team, scoring once. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.  

Edited by betting competition