The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Genuinely surprised he hasn't gone yet, either by Cormack's hand or by his own.

I like Goodwin, and in general I think he's a decent manager for this level, but he suffers somewhat from being a little blinkered by his own ideas, and while he did well with us, he also has some long turgid spells where the football and results were awful. Not sure if it's arrogance or his back room team not being strong enough, but that Darvel loss coupled with a fairly torrid time in the league, after previously putting together a decent-ish run, is peak Goodwin/St Mirren, and I guess it was probably the same at Alloa.

I always feel that average managers become good managers by learning to cover over their weaknesses. For me, Goodwin's weakness is his inability to change games, and last night is a perfect example, regardless of the personnel change, that Aberdeen side never changed gear or increased their impetus. With the extra money and resources I thought he might bring in a better standard of player which in turn would mitigate problems, and to a certain extent they have, but not the extent that was needed.

That all said, he's got to go though, right? He can't stay on after that, especially as at times Darvel were outplaying a club that claims to be the 3rd best in the country.

I like him too, and, like Jack Ross, don’t bear him any ill-will… even though both Goodwin and Ross left us under circumstances that left a bit of a bitter taste. Both were excellent players for us, both were doing pretty well (after dreadful starts and poor runs), and, importantly, both were good fits for St Mirren. That was down to them being good players for us, having goodwill in the tank, ‘getting’ our club, our expectations, and so on.

The bit in bold in your post - IMHO Jim is a decent manager. For a St Mirren, St Johnstone or Ross County type of club. Was a terrible choice for a bigger club with a bigger stadium, bigger fanbase, bigger budget, and bigger expectations. Christ, Jim himself once ruled himself out of the running for the St Mirren job because he never felt ready for it. It was too big at the time. Why he didn’t stay with us and rule himself out of the Aberdeen job (at the time) is anyone’s guess. He clearly wasn’t ready for that jump. He didn’t take the Dons gig just for more money IMHO. He may have had issues with certain folk, and certain ways St Mirren was run behind the scenes. Anyway, what is done is done. I’d hope St Mirren fans would welcome him back (not as manager, just in general should he be back at our ground) as a cup winning captain and decent ex-manager.

Just my opinion, but if our expectations are basically to not get relegated, maybe sniff top 6, and try for a decent run in the cups, Jim was fine. Jim, again, just my opinion, could and should have been our ‘Tommy Wright’. There for as long as he wanted, security for him and his family, and did a decent job year after year.

Opinions, opinions.

41 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Given after a six game decent run under Jim at SMFC. Six games, not even all wins either. Not a good entire season, not touted as the next Pep Guardiola, not being head hunted by bigger English clubs like Alex Neil was at Hamilton. Six decent games. Baffling. Utterly baffling. Was baffling then, is still baffling today. The only explanation is that Cormack is a fcuking lunatic.

The good run we were on was probably the main reason for his appointment but I think it's an unfair reflection on Goodwin's time at St Mirren to suggest that all he had was one good run. He took over a bit of a basket case, signed - for the most part - better players than we had, got us to two semi finals and missed out on top 6 by a whisker. Had Goodwin stayed last year I reckon we would've got top 6.

You can argue that he could've done more and Aberdeen fans can certainly be annoyed at his appointment but by any measure he was a good manager for St Mirren.

I remember walking out of Ochilview all those years ago, and thinking that would be our lowest point. The thing about that game though, was that it was totally unexpected (didn’t we beat Rangers* the week before?). 

I had the fear for last night though, as you could see it playing out exactly as it did. I’m honestly stunned that he hasn’t resigned. 

Edited by naegoodinthedark
Too fucking furious to spell properly.

1 minute ago, naegoodinthedark said:

I remember walking out of Ochilview all those years ago, and thinking that would be our lowest point. The thing about that game though, was that it was totally unexpected (didn’t we best Rangers* the week before?). 

I had the fear for last night though, as you could see it playing out exactly as it did. I’m honestly stunned that he hasn’t resigned. 

I remember that, though I was a kid - we had just beaten Rangers (the Roy Aitken new manager bounce?) and so the Stenhousemuir result really was unthinkable. Compared to last night, when their goal went in I wasn't even surprised

42 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Should you sack Jim. Hard to say. He's a decent manager if a bit one dimensional. He's pretty good at setting out teams to shithouse their way through a game. Not so good setting up teams any other way.  Is that enough for the Dons? Probably not. Can see this being Jack Ross's next port of call. 

He's been the complete opposite for us.

6 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

I’m honestly stunned that he hasn’t resigned. 

That would probably be the "gallant" thing to do, but he'll be on a contract (I've no idea what remaining length of contract) and so it would probably be financial folly for him to resign of his own choice.  So no doubt he'll wait until he's pushed out by the club.

9 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

I remember walking out of Ochilview all those years ago, and thinking that would be our lowest point. The thing about that game though, was that it was totally unexpected (didn’t we beat Rangers* the week before?). 

I've seen it all before, stretching back to 1963/64 drawing with Queen's Park, scraping through the replay, losing in the next round to Ayr United (at home) to last night's disgrace.

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Agree with that. 
Would Alan Burrows be interested in replacing Gunn I wonder? 

Replacing a director of football with a chief executive isn't going to solve your problems.

21 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

I’ve no idea why fans think a manager will resign. Why would you resign and wave bye bye to a significant cash payment? Never going to happen.

Go Ahead Eagles centre-half Jay Idzes is close to signing for Aberdeen as they hone in on a pre-contract deal after the clubs failed to agree a transfer fee for the 22-year-old, who the Scottish Premiership club can sign for around £180,000 in training compensation come the summer. (Daily Record)

Go Ahead Eagles sporting director Paul Bosvelt has warned Aberdeen they will not sell Jay Idzes on the cheap because the defender is vital to their hopes of avoiding relegation from the Dutch top flight. (Scottish Daily Express)

From BBC Gossip page.