The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 minutes ago, Mr Meeker said:

I think they should replace him with that guy that used to do the children's wildlife programmes that had his fingers bitten off by ferrets.  I think he was called Terry Nutkins. He would be excellent.

RIP Terry, sorry to break the news from about 10 years ago. 

Just now, 10menwent2mow said:

He needs to be kept fucking miles away from the 'prawcess' of appointing the next manager, although I'm not sure who at the club I would trust to do it.

This is one of the biggest issues - there isn't anyone.  Hopefully there's a role for 'hard-working nice guy' Gunner somewhere, but it feels that both an in-country CEO and an experienced Director of Football might be as big priority for DC to succeed with AFC than a new manager is right now.

Robson is probably worth a shout to see how he gets on for a few games anyway.  He may just pleasantly surprise us.

6 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Very unlucky with the offside right enough as Clarkson ran past 2 Darvel players before receiving the ball.

According to the two lady pundits on Sportscene, having VAR and the onside goal being ruled as a goal would have "spoiled a great occasion".

Edited by tarapoa

1 minute ago, tarapoa said:

This is one of the biggest issues - there isn't anyone.  Hopefully there's a role for 'hard-working nice guy' Gunner somewhere, but it feels that both an in-country CEO and an experienced Director of Football might be as big priority for DC to succeed with AFC than a new manager is right now.

Robson is probably worth a shout to see how he gets on for a few games anyway.  He may just pleasantly surprise us.

Robson until the end of the season would certainly not be the worst idea, I don't think, but long term there needs to be a better plan than hoping he can come in and fire them up to a few blood and thunder wins. Ideally he'd come in as caretaker, get a few points on the board to ensure we aren't looking over our shoulders and be a safe pair of hands, giving the club the time to properly look for a manager rather than stumble upon the first c**t available. The issue is that if this current malaise continues for another few weeks, we are in the bottom half come the split and fighting the drop. 

25 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

According to the two lady pundits on Sportscene, having VAR and the onside goal being ruled as a goal would have "spoiled a great occasion".

"two lady pundits" on the show and Willie Miller was still the biggest tit there

1 hour ago, Renfrewblue said:

Immensely enjoyable watch tonight. Aberdeen demonstrating that their players only ever turn up when there's no expectations on them. 

Total bottle merchants in every other game. 

I'm sure that made sense in your head but even in what has been a pretty terrible season so far we have nine wins in the league (none against the old firm where presumably nothing is expected of us) it doesn't really suggest bottling "every" game does it?

Appreciate its open season on the dons tonight and rightly so but some of the insults have been rank rotten. Between this one, weirdo chauvinism and Ninja's same terrible dumb Mcinnes troll he is desperate someone will argue with him about I expected better.

Edited by Rodhull

3 hours ago, Renfrewblue said:

Immensely enjoyable watch tonight. Aberdeen demonstrating that their players only ever turn up when there's no expectations on them. 

Total bottle merchants in every other game. 

2nd game in a row you’ve done this. Easy as anything to take the piss out of us and yet you’re still absolutely rattled we gave rangers a game. 

A lot of noise and a lot of predictable ‘sack everyone’ and ‘scrap it all and start again’ type takes after last night. 

I think people get carried away and I don’t think we’re anywhere near that. The ‘structure’ of the football department is still very young and there’s nothing to suggest it’s totally broken. 

If I was to assess the key individuals, my unqualified take would be:

Cormack - a guy with good intentions, wants the best for the club and has a vision for where he wants it to be. However, I don’t think he knows how to implement the day to day running of the football side. Also his ego seems to get in the way. I’ve criticised a lot of his public statements and it’s always with an underlying issue that I feel his ego is in the way. I hope it doesn’t prevent him from delegating more football decisions to someone more qualified. Verdict - stay but step back

Gunn - this is the position who should be telling Dave how to run the football department. With the best will in the world I can’t see how this is the case. Let’s be honest, if gunn left tomorrow is any other premiership club asking for his services? Verdict - replace

Mowbray - couldn’t tell you what he looks like but he’s done enough to have a few more windows on the recruitment front. Some poor ones but we’ve unearthed talent we wouldn’t otherwise have a few years ago. This isn’t an overnight process and I’m comfortable with what it’s produced. Verdict - stay

Goodwin - I think I’ve made my stance on this guy pretty clear. He doesn’t have it, the biggest shock since he came in is how tactically inept he is. I wasn’t expecting wonders but I thought he’d make us a solid outfit but he’s totally out of his depth and has no answers. 

- we’ve tried 4 at the back, then 3, then back to 4

- we went gung ho at ibrox then barely left our 6 yard line at home to Celtic, and he was seemingly proud of both efforts 

- we’ve tried duk, miovski and Ramirez in the same team with the latter playing as a 10. 

I could go on but all examples that this guy has no answers. 

verdict - would’ve had him out weeks ago but if he’s not gone by midday, we riot. 

The squad 

Not as bad as some would have you believe. Middle to front this is a top 6 side pretty comfortably I’d say, undermined by the criminal mismanagement of the back line. Roos is a serviceable keeper at this level. 

The squad is imbalances but it’s a good age with a decent amount of young talent in there with resale value. However, it lacks character and when an ‘ok’ team lacks character it doesn’t take much to go into a tailspin like we’re seeing now. 

I never thought we were brilliant when we were 3rd pre World Cup and I don’t think the team is horrendous now. 

verdict - keep building and for the love of god sign a defence

conclusion - sorry for the rambling post but I don’t think everything is broken.