The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

12 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

All those folk lauding McInnes

Jim McIntyre.

Tommy wright

Alan Stubbs, 

Kenny Shiels.

John Hughes

All won as many trophies as McInnes , all with smaller budgets.

And Callum Davidson has won double the trophies.

To be fair almost all of those doing so are on the wind up, and Pep a known idiot.

9 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

And McInnes would've been a lot better off too because we were paying him reputedly 17k a week which, I imagine (I hope) is a lot less than Goodwin.

7 hours ago, WestHibee said:

I saw Goodwin in Robroyston Asda the night before the St Mirren game. 

I can't imagine anyone on £17K p/w shops in Asda, so I think you can assume Jim is on an absolute fraction of what Del got.

11 hours ago, betting competition said:

It was very topical discussion from fans I spoke to before and after the game on Wednesday night. Few quite angry as they was McInnes supporters and hate the way the club has gone since he has left.

I don't really like to speak about McInnes but if he got the cash Goodwin got we would be a lot better off. I'm prepared to give Goodwin a bit of time to get it right, but if he doesn't qualify for Europe then we should replace him.   

Derek McInnes with a seven figure budget gives me the absolute fear.

8 hours ago, WestHibee said:

I saw Goodwin in Robroyston Asda the night before the St Mirren game. I am assuming he spends time with family when the Dons are down in the central belt for an away game. Potentially the team could've been staying overnight nearby but I believe he is East Dumbartonshire based 

Aye I could see that for the odd game especially this time of the year. 

2 hours ago, Willie adie said:

All those folk lauding McInnes

Jim McIntyre.

Tommy wright

Alan Stubbs, 

Kenny Shiels.

John Hughes

All won as many trophies as McInnes , all with smaller budgets.

And Callum Davidson has won double the trophies.

You missed out Danny Lennon from your list.:rolleyes:

19 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Needs to change the formation. His record playing 352 was garbage - the moment he switched from that, we went on a decent run and Aberdeen appointed him.

The 3-5-2 was forced upon us, due to the fact that neither first choice full-back can defend - and the requirement to protect Anthony Stewart, who was getting badly exposed, with Tannadice where it all unravelled badly.

it also accommodated getting both Miovski and Duk in the starting XI.

it worked for a couple of games, but as ever seems to have been sussed out by opposition managers - and has also left several other players in our thoroughly imbalanced squad kicking their heels.

Some tactical flexibility is needed - but the main worry for me with Goodwin is the lack of evidence that this exists.

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I was reading on afc-chat that some Aberdeen fans are hoping the dons board sound out John Herdman (Canada National team manager) and Kjetil Knutsen. 😂

Whilst neither of those 2 are anywhere close to realistic it's those types of guys we need to be looking at. Need to find the next Knutsen before he comes to the fore. The minute these guys get the success they are currently getting then we can rule them out. 

Going back a few posts now, but I'm not really sure that Goodwin isn't a 'flexible' manager.

We clearly recruited to primarily play a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, and started the season with this. He has changed to a 3-5-2 (or a 5-3-2). He has also changed approach pretty radically between games. Compare the approach in the 4-1 defeat at Ibrox to the approaches used in the two games against Celtic and Rangers at Pittodrie recently, especially the former. The second-half of the win against Dundee United before the World Cup was a clear break from previous approaches, too. I don't see much evidence of an overly dogmatic or tactically inflexible manager at all. 

My worry isn't his lack of flexibility, but more that he seems to have moved between extremes. The approaches used in the 4-1 against Rangers and the 1-0 against Celtic were total polar opposites but both destined to fail ninety-nine times out of a hundred for various reasons. 

I am in the minority who think it is too early to sack him, and I think there is a good manager there, but he needs to show that he can find a more balanced and consistent identity and then make smaller tweaks according to opposition and the players we have available along the way if necessary. Easier said than done, granted. 

40 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Going back a few posts now, but I'm not really sure that Goodwin isn't a 'flexible' manager.

We clearly recruited to primarily play a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, and started the season with this. He has changed to a 3-5-2 (or a 5-3-2). He has also changed approach pretty radically between games. Compare the approach in the 4-1 defeat at Ibrox to the approaches used in the two games against Celtic and Rangers at Pittodrie recently, especially the former. The second-half of the win against Dundee United before the World Cup was a clear break from previous approaches, too. I don't see much evidence of an overly dogmatic or tactically inflexible manager at all. 

My worry isn't his lack of flexibility, but more that he seems to have moved between extremes. The approaches used in the 4-1 against Rangers and the 1-0 against Celtic were total polar opposites but both destined to fail ninety-nine times out of a hundred for various reasons. 

I am in the minority who think it is too early to sack him, and I think there is a good manager there, but he needs to show that he can find a more balanced and consistent identity and then make smaller tweaks according to opposition and the players we have available along the way if necessary. Easier said than done, granted. 

I agree, he doesn’t lack flexibility game to game, he’s willing to try things. But he does lack flexibility in-game. 

Like you, and it’s the main reason I’m fed up of him, is the wildly different approaches to the OF games. It says to me he doesn’t particularly know what he’s doing or have a clear tactical plan. We had a go and it didn’t work so ‘park the bus!’ Is a major ref flag. 

I also can’t think of a time we’ve really tactically outdone a team. Home wins against hibs, livi, st Mirren and hearts all started with us being on the back foot and looking at least the slightly worse team until a key moment went in our favour. Granted we took advantage of the moments going in our favour but there’s an element of fortune there. 

1 hour ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Whilst neither of those 2 are anywhere close to realistic it's those types of guys we need to be looking at. Need to find the next Knutsen before he comes to the fore. The minute these guys get the success they are currently getting then we can rule them out. 

Knutsen was 48 when he was sacked by a second division Norwegian side for finishing in the bottom half. 2 years later he had his team challenging for the title and was likely already out of reach. 

Are you saying youd be happy if you sacked Goodwin and hired an older coach, whod achieved less in a longer career, from the Norwegian second tier?

I dont rate Goodwin but hes virtually had to rebuild your squad while simultaneously getting used to a brand new recruitment set up which takes 12+ months to really get going while also trying to put you in the top 3. Maybe give him longer than 10 months.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I dont rate Goodwin but hes virtually had to rebuild your squad while simultaneously getting used to a brand new recruitment set up which takes 12+ months to really get going while also trying to put you in the top 3. Maybe give him longer than 10 months.

I don't rate Goodwin either but I totally agree with your post. 

After finishing 10th last season and bringing in an entirely new first team I thought maybe a gradual step and get into the top 6 was more realistic than going for 3rd bit after being 3rd at the World Cup break then Goodwin is under pressure to deliver 3rd or 4th.

I don’t really see what was wrong with the appointment of Goodwin. Managed Alloa, then St Mirren so had learned the ropes at smaller clubs. 
Even when the Glass/Brown/Russell experiment was announced there was an awfa lot of excited people. The idea in itself was a bit intriguing and trying something different which everyone wanted. 
Because it didn’t work suddenly everyone is an expert and claims the appointments should never have happened.

Reality is all managerial appointments are a gamble. Occasionally you get lucky.

Seems quite straightforward that with such a major overhaul of the squad that Goodwin should get another couple of transfer windows. In the summer there were plenty saying it would take a few windows to get it right. 

At the beginning of the season I thought we'd be looking at finishing around 6th/7th. This was based on the unknown element of the new signings and weaknesses in defence and CM.

I feel we were very fortunate to be 3rd at the break and our form this season certainly points to a middle of the league team at this point.

It's going the same as with Glass in terms of that we look like conceding two goals every game. Although now we have enough in attack where we can score as well. RB and arguably two CBs urgently required.

I'm still not keen on Roos but it's hard to say whether Lewis would have a better time of it with this defence either 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Knutsen was 48 when he was sacked by a second division Norwegian side for finishing in the bottom half. 2 years later he had his team challenging for the title and was likely already out of reach. 

Are you saying youd be happy if you sacked Goodwin and hired an older coach, whod achieved less in a longer career, from the Norwegian second tier?

Knutsen has a managerial win record of around 55%. 62% in his first role. It's guys like that we need to be looking at. Not people with win records half of that.

He may have been sacked as head coach of Asane but he was then hired to be Assistant at Bodo. They must have seen something in him. Before he was then promoted to Head Coach. There was a continuity there. 

Nobody is denying he's had to rebuild his squad. But he's overloaded our squad with wingers (that we don't use), left us with 2 experienced centre halves (1 of which can't play in our hardest games of the season), spunked large amounts of cash on Richardson and Morris both of which currently look like very poor investments that we won't recoup our money from as it stands. 

Then there's an insbility to realise that the back 3 isn't working. He done the same at St Mirren last season. Played a back 3 and were nearly bottom at the winter break. Changed to a back 4 and won 4 out of 5 (including against us) and suddenly he's our manager. Had we have sacked Glass when Cormack apparently wanted to (October time last year) would Goodwin have been a popular choice amongst fans? No he wouldn't have been. 

He may very well turn out to be a good manager but he has to realise when formations and tactics don't work. Up to now he's failed quite badly on that front. 

If he was to get sacked i'd rather we tried something different. I said before, if we are going down the route of bringing in more foreign players we need a manager used to dealing with these guys on a daily basis that know how they work and how to get the best out of them. Before you then mention "well Glass came from MLS" everyone knew he was getting the job long before McInnes got the dunt. It was obvious. A blindfolded, stuck in the basement Stevie Wonder saw it coming. Even Graham Hunter knew it was him 24 hours after McInnes got the sack because he done an interview saying he'd already spoken to the new AFC manager. 

2 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Knutsen has a managerial win record of around 55%. 62% in his first role. It's guys like that we need to be looking at. Not people with win records half of that.

In the Norwegian 2nd tier. Theres absolutely no chance Aberdeen fans wouldve celebrated hiring, say, Ojan Bijan from Egersunds instead of Goodwin.

6 hours ago, tarapoa said:

The 3-5-2 was forced upon us, due to the fact that neither first choice full-back can defend - and the requirement to protect Anthony Stewart, who was getting badly exposed, with Tannadice where it all unravelled badly.

it also accommodated getting both Miovski and Duk in the starting XI.

it worked for a couple of games, but as ever seems to have been sussed out by opposition managers - and has also left several other players in our thoroughly imbalanced squad kicking their heels.

Some tactical flexibility is needed - but the main worry for me with Goodwin is the lack of evidence that this exists.

Seems to me 4-2-3-1 is the way to go.

Duk playing behind Miovski as a “10” picking up the ball & running at predominantly slow defenders who’ll hate him running at them. 

I’ll caveat that by saying we need a right back, centre back & central midfielder in asap. 

8 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Win percentages must be up there as the most pointless metric for comparing managers. I haven't checked, but I'd guess Ally McCoist and Rowan Alexander might have two of the best win percentages in the history of Scottish football.