The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

I never blamed him for it. All i said initially was that he doesn't like the city and he hates living in it which is true. He doesn't. 

McInnes didn't relocate his family up here and he was manager for 8 years. 5 of those very successful. I never mentioned Goodwin's kids. But when you have a manager that hates the city where he works and lives it must filter down to the players. 

He hates the city? Seems awfully strong and like one of these daft rumours.

What you basing it on?

5 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

He hates the city? Seems awfully strong and like one of these daft rumours.

What you basing it on?

I’m not too bothered on his viewpoint in the “hev ye seen the state ah Union Street” debate, but after welcoming his appointment and thinking he was a warrior and leader of men, the main concern he is also a tactical nonentity.

In situations like that you’re hoping his No.2 brings something to the party, but I still cannot get over that post-Tannadice debacle interview, and forming an entirely negative impression (rightly or wrongly) on the strength of his backroom squad.

Then there’s the “philosophy” from the top being implemented by a Director of Football who was appointed due to achievements such as organising the right jet at a good price to take the squad to Kazakhstan.

All the signs are there (including the dreaded ‘lost the dressing room’ speculation) that another managerial casualty is upon us - and given we are still active on three fronts, do the club act sooner rather than later?  Robson can probably get a tune out of them in the short term should that occur.

It was clear the same thing was happening a year ago, and the mistake was to give Glass the Fir Park cup tie and the predictable limp surrender than ensued.

Goodwin's tenure as Aberdeen manager found black ice and he's now frantically oversteering to recover the situation that is escalating fast out of his control.

This isn't going to end well as he would need to display managerial skills, that from the evidence of his whole managerial career, he doesn't seem to possess, to start moving forward and out of this rut.

I would imagine Cormack will hope that six points from the next two home fixtures will calm the growing displeasure of Goodwin amongst the support but even in the ideal scenario, it looks like he'll be plugging a hole when the dam has already burst.

With the fixtures then taking us to Hampden, Darvel, Hearts and Hibs he seems to be heading into a minefield without a plan other than to sign better defenders in the January window.

Furthermore, I can't listen to his interviews any longer so I'm not sure how the players can cope with him on a daily basis. There's something unlikeable and self-serving  about him.

There's no room for error now for Goodwin. What should've been a straightforward couple of home games now see the vultures circling around Pittodrie as they see a manager on his last legs.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

9 hours ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

But, for the love of god, do not hire somebody from this league. If we are looking to further our horizons on the player recruitment front then we need to do the same on the managerial front.

Who would you want as the manager?

Edited by Molotov

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

Who would you want as the manager?

Why is that always the go to question when someone says they'd rather try something different with the next managerial appointment? There has to be somebody performing well in the likes of Sweden, Norway, Denmark or the lower division of Germany etc thwt would fancy a crack at the SPFL at the team with the 3rd highest budget. We still have the core of a good squad. A few additions and we can still easily make Europe next season. It's an attractive proposition. The club should always have a list of managers they want to speak to because you never know when somebody comes calling for your manager, they get sacked or they resign. They should always have a contingency. But that requires the club to know what the f**k they are doing. Something we clearly don't. We're a shambles from top to bottom right now. 

5 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Bet you're delighted you hounded out your third most successful manager of all time now you absolute wallopers 

Yep, it’s all been so utterly predictable. When Goodwin goes it it will be interesting to see which clown shoes manager they go with next. 

39 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Why is that always the go to question when someone says they'd rather try something different with the next managerial appointment? There has to be somebody performing well in the likes of Sweden, Norway, Denmark or the lower division of Germany etc thwt would fancy a crack at the SPFL at the team with the 3rd highest budget. We still have the core of a good squad. A few additions and we can still easily make Europe next season. It's an attractive proposition. The club should always have a list of managers they want to speak to because you never know when somebody comes calling for your manager, they get sacked or they resign. They should always have a contingency. But that requires the club to know what the f**k they are doing. Something we clearly don't. We're a shambles from top to bottom right now. 

Agree with this. Seems mad to me that so few clubs scout managers the way they scout players. A clubs know they're likely to have to hire one every 2-3 years at least, often more frequently than that, so why do so many seem to be starting the process from scratch every time?

It's mad, and shows how poorly-run many fitba clubs are.

5 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Bet you're delighted you hounded out your third most successful manager of all time now you absolute wallopers 

What’s a manager that left almost 30 years ago got to do with now?

3 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Goodwin's tenure as Aberdeen manager found black ice and he's now frantically oversteering to recover the situation that is escalating fast out of his control.

This isn't going to end well as he would need to display managerial skills, that from the evidence of his whole managerial career, he doesn't seem to possess, to start moving forward and out of this rut.

I would imagine Cormack will hope that six points from the next two home fixtures will calm the growing displeasure of Goodwin amongst the support but even in the ideal scenario, it looks like he'll be plugging a hole when the dam has already burst.

With the fixtures then taking us to Hampden, Darvel, Hearts and Hibs he seems to be heading into a minefield without a plan other than to sign better defenders in the January window.

Furthermore, I can't listen to his interviews any longer so I'm not sure how the players can cope with him on a daily basis. There's something unlikeable and self-serving  about him.

There's no room for error now for Goodwin. What should've been a straightforward couple of home games now see the vultures circling around Pittodrie as they see a manager on his last legs.

I'm not defending him and I wasn't one of "the gutted" when he left St Mirren however you hired him on the back of a run that had got us out of a rut worse than the one you're in just now.

30 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Said a while back I thought the Aberdeen fans would be turning on Goodwin by March.

Late December, eh?

Hard to see a way back for him now. But what does it cost to sack him? Last financials were poor, how much of his own coaching/scouting/backroom team did he bring in?

He brought Lee Sharp and Craig Samson. We've since added to the backroom staff since he's been here with the Spanish data analysts but i'd imagine they'd stay. 

3 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

It would be a strange thing to make up. If you were going to lie surely you'd lie and say you liked the city? 

No, maybe the coach is making it up.

Seems far-fetched to me that Goodwin would be going around openly telling folk he hates the city. Seems much more likely to me that this lad coaches Goodwin's boy (who I thought didn't live in Aberdeen...) and is just making stuff up to seem ITK.

What on earth would Goodwin gain by saying stuff like that to strangers? On the balance of probability, I'd say it's much more likely just made up.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

No, maybe the coach is making it up.

Seems far-fetched to me that Goodwin would be going around openly telling folk he hates the city. Seems much more likely to me that this lad coaches Goodwin's boy (who I thought didn't live in Aberdeen...) and is just making stuff up to seem ITK.

What on earth would Goodwin gain by saying stuff like that to strangers? On the balance of probability, I'd say it's much more likely just made up.

Goodwin's boy doesn't live in Aberdeen. And neither do i. Hence how i know the coach. 

6 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

He brought Lee Sharp and Craig Samson. We've since added to the backroom staff since he's been here with the Spanish data analysts but i'd imagine they'd stay. 

Spanish data analysts? 

I thought there was only Juan. 

*Gets coat*